Whistling Kettle Employee Reviews

2.3
Ratings breakdown
Horrible Management. Unprofessional
Tea Tender/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJune 19, 2018
Owners and manager change the rules all the time. Was called to drive half an hour to speak to manager. He just wanted to say he almost fired me. When I gave my notice he just replaced all my shifts. They always think we were stealing one thing or another. Manager never actually helps just sits there taking up tables and nitpicking.
Pros
Eh? Free iced tea of the day but you can’t use the normal size cups only tiny ones
Cons
No healthcare, condesending, unprofessional
Got let go over a voicemail
Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Troy,NYMarch 9, 2018
The only good thing about this place was your co workers. My manager seemed to always bump heads with me even if I still did everything I was asked , i got let go over a voicemail telling me I wasent a good fit even tho I worked in food places and never have had that told to me
I was always only there for two weeks and no one trained me..
Pros
Discount on lunch
Fast passed, poor managment by owners
Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I was training as a waitress at the Ballston Spa location a couple of years back when I was 18. The waitress crew and cook team were wonderful, however, the owners were not very understanding of employee rights as basic human beings. There was no designated employee storage area. I did not get any breaks. I was let go after I had tried to put some food from home in the refrigerator as I could not afford the food from the restaurant. The food was properly wrapped and in a clean container. I was informed they do not store food. I got a call later from one of the owners informing me I would be let go as "there was a personality difference and I wasn't a good fit."
Pros
Small discount on food, tips
Cons
No breaks, no employee storage unit for personal belongings, judgemental owners
Successful family run business
Server (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYAugust 12, 2016
The Whistling Kettle is a great restaurant to work for. It hosts a cozy environment with understanding owners and the potential find success.
Pros
Good hours, Great team, Potential to earn, Free tea
Cons
No benefits
Poor Management
Tea Tender (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 18, 2016
honestly, you'd think small business owners wouldn't be worse than corporate but they are here. They don't not care about their employees. They don't care about your availability. If you change a shift or ask for a day off, they punish you by taking away your hours. They're poor at communicating. And they have poor customer service. It's only a semi decent place because of a few of the employees.
Pros
50% lunch when working, free tea
Cons
poor managment, lack of customer service skills
fast paced, small family owned business
Seasonal Hostess (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYJanuary 15, 2013
when it was busy you are always moving, there were some down times but it was very rare for the summer.