Whistling Kettle Employee Reviews

My Favorite Job
Retail Salesman / Online Shipping (Former Employee) –  24 Front Street Ballston Spa NY 12020January 11, 2019
I really enjoyed working intimately with customers concerning our products. i worked hard when i started and within 6 months i had my own department with 5 employees i was scheduling. I had a great relationship with the owner, he was never overbearing or angry or unprofessional. i would recommend this job to anybody in the Saratoga Springs NY area.
Pros
Great work enviroment, owner is a friend, i advanced very quickly because of my customer service skills.
Cons
Owners need to open their eyes
Server (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJanuary 7, 2019
If you don’t eat, sleep, breathe WK, you’re gone. Condescending, punitive, and overall poor management by the owner. Very unprofessional. Management occupies tables within servers sections. 10% discount. Good food, but way over priced.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
poor management/ownership
Poor Management and Unprofessional
Server and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 2, 2018
The owners wife tries to micromanage the company which causes many rules to be made up on the spot as a reason for her to fire her staff. I have seen many new staff members get fired unfairly.
There is a reason why they are always hiring as they cannot keep a core staff.
Pros
One free tea
Cons
You pay for everything else
Horrible Management. Unprofessional
Tea Tender/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJune 19, 2018
Owners and manager change the rules all the time. Was called to drive half an hour to speak to manager. He just wanted to say he almost fired me. When I gave my notice he just replaced all my shifts. They always think we were stealing one thing or another. Manager never actually helps just sits there taking up tables and nitpicking.
Pros
Eh? Free iced tea of the day but you can’t use the normal size cups only tiny ones
Cons
No healthcare, condesending, unprofessional
Got let go over a voicemail
Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Troy,NYMarch 9, 2018
The only good thing about this place was your co workers. My manager seemed to always bump heads with me even if I still did everything I was asked , i got let go over a voicemail telling me I wasent a good fit even tho I worked in food places and never have had that told to me
I was always only there for two weeks and no one trained me..
Pros
Discount on lunch
Fast passed, poor managment by owners
Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYFebruary 19, 2018
I was training as a waitress at the Ballston Spa location a couple of years back when I was 18. The waitress crew and cook team were wonderful, however, the owners were not very understanding of employee rights as basic human beings. There was no designated employee storage area. I did not get any breaks. I was let go after I had tried to put some food from home in the refrigerator as I could not afford the food from the restaurant. The food was properly wrapped and in a clean container. I was informed they do not store food. I got a call later from one of the owners informing me I would be let go as "there was a personality difference and I wasn't a good fit."
Pros
Small discount on food, tips
Cons
No breaks, no employee storage unit for personal belongings, judgemental owners
Terrible in Every Way
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 10, 2018
Bad pay, no one there actually knows anything about food safety or proper ways to cook things. Everything they serve comes from a package. I was embarrassed of the food we put out but no one would listen to me on how to make it better.
Pros
home by 6:30pm every day
Cons
literally everything else about the job sucked
Neat place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 27, 2017
Friendly environment, great relationship with the front of house staff, flexible when it came to requesting time off, ALWAYS paid on time, stressful during rushes, but what kitchen isn't?
Fun workplace great owners
SERVER/BREWER (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 13, 2017
Completely different from any other restaurant. They have an amazing selection of tea and coffee. The food is very esquiset also. I didn't really like the area. Very unsafe even though it was a college area.
This was a good place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMay 10, 2017
The staff are all very friendly and work well together. Wages are competitive and pay is every two weeks. Kitchen staff get 1 free meal and tea per day.
Pros
Often busy so days go by fast
Cons
Sometimes to busy
Fun Work Atmosphere
Waitress/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYOctober 5, 2016
A nice restaurant with great co-workers to work with. The wait staff and host perform morning duties in order to prepare the restaurant for the day. After that, it's a typical waitressing job; taking and delivering orders, clearing tables and so on.
Successful family run business
Server (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYAugust 12, 2016
The Whistling Kettle is a great restaurant to work for. It hosts a cozy environment with understanding owners and the potential find success.
Pros
Good hours, Great team, Potential to earn, Free tea
Cons
No benefits
Poor Management
Tea Tender (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 18, 2016
honestly, you'd think small business owners wouldn't be worse than corporate but they are here. They don't not care about their employees. They don't care about your availability. If you change a shift or ask for a day off, they punish you by taking away your hours. They're poor at communicating. And they have poor customer service. It's only a semi decent place because of a few of the employees.
Pros
50% lunch when working, free tea
Cons
poor managment, lack of customer service skills
fast paced, small family owned business
Seasonal Hostess (Former Employee) –  Niskayuna, NYJanuary 15, 2013
when it was busy you are always moving, there were some down times but it was very rare for the summer.