White Castle Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Showing all 1,293 reviews
Overall great for the benefits
Crew Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln Park, MIJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at work for me as a manager would be walking into chaos at the beginning of my shift almost every single day. I, as well as all of the other managers, were constantly short-handed because of employee call offs or unexcused absences. It was very hard to get people to stay at this job. It became very exhausting. It did not help that a couple managers were sent on vacation during the same time, including the general manager, because the store went to the bottom.
Pros
Benefits, free meals
Cons
Very busy, not very flexible
cool place for youngsters
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJuly 16, 2018
No problem at all. This is a good place to work especially if you are in school and young. They offer great benefits and help you keep your job and will work with you
Pros
great benefits
Fun and rewarding environment
Alternate Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Arnold, MOJuly 14, 2018
White Castle was a friendly and fun place to work. Your hard work was acknowledged and appreciated. You were given the necessary training to perform every aspect of the job, not thrown in and told to sink or swim.
Pros
Free food and drink
Cons
rotating shifts
Very stressful, never enough help scheduled.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 14, 2018
White Castle is a VERY stressful place to work. There’s NO such thing as work/life balance. They only scheduled the absolute minimum team to work on a shift. If someone calls off then your short handed for your shift. The district supervisor changes schedules around after the GM finishes it and put people on the schedules that they can’t work and the GM has to scramble and find people at the last minute. What’s the use of having a GM if the district person is going to do things and not involve the GM in the desisions.
Scheduled days are split up. Over all it’s not an enjoyable place to work at.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Not enough communication from upper management and micro managing
Job is good to learn.
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Lenox, ILJuly 13, 2018
It's a good job for a first time employee. Good place to learn and get the hang of a work environment. I did not like the management when I was working there but I'm thankful for her being so hard on me because it made me into the hard and organized working person that I am today.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJuly 13, 2018
Good place too work if you are a person who likes to do stuff at a fast pace. The workers are friendly and the customer service was mostly always good.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 12, 2018
Management was unprofessional, were very lazy and didnt act like they wanted to do their jobs. Management drives away employees, they dont quit on their own.
Pros
Employee meals
overwheilming
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
Its an okay job for a child out of high school. customers are very rude and very demanding. that's why I decided to leave they do get paid every week so I guest that's okay
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2018
When I come into work I would clean and stock my work area and prepare for the next rush. While working at White Castle I greeted customers and had excellent customer service.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break
wonderful
Benefits Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 10, 2018
WC Home Office was an amazing experience and I wish I could have worked there longer. Three weeks paid vacation, fun events, great work culture, in house Cafeteria.... just a fantastic time.
Productive fun place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 10, 2018
It's a fun place to work excellent co workers and great environment. Good to see the customer s leave happy , it was really a blessing to have white castle as my first job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short break
It was a high school job
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 9, 2018
A fast paced job with a wide variety of characters in and outside of the workplace. You work together to make the White Castle the best it can be and try to get everything out on time. Good starter job.
Pros
3 free lunch items, fast training, and good people skill development
Great place to work with joyful people
Fryer/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILJuly 9, 2018
I loved working at White Castle, there was never a time when I walked in and was mad. Everyone always said hi and how are you doing. They were like a second family.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not sure
Fast-paced, fun, kind of leniant work place
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking, making food (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 8, 2018
I liked working at White Castle, they had great benefits, starting pay was well over minimum wage, coworkers we're okay, management was okay, but the pay was great
Pros
Free lunches, great with breaks
Cons
Okay management, a lot of favoritism for family employees
It ok
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYJuly 8, 2018
It’s not a good place to work as a good summer job that’s it do not recommend it for full-time gigDo not put it on your resume it sucks On believable on believable on believable
Pros
It’s not a good place to work
Great first job.
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHJuly 6, 2018
A great first job for any young person entering the work place. The work environment is friendly, and more than willing to work with school schedules and other commitments. A very good place to start your career.
Pros
Free food while working, employee discounts, paid time off
Cons
Short breaks, fast work environment, minimum wage
stressful but fun sometimes
Team member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 6, 2018
working at white castle is like a roller coaster. some days its fun some days not. thats how I felt working there. they do have some greats benefits even for part time workers, but sometimes the managers, and gas can use their power too much on the team members. sometimes team memebers as well. their communication isn't that great. they aren't that worried towards harassment in the white castles between team members, and their systems need to be fixed. I worked in a white castle that their cameras were not working for 8 months almost. the gm of our castle new too. but nothing was done. but other than that it is a pretty enjoyable place depending on who you work with and where.
Pros
free food, 2 weeks paid vacation, get to travel between castles
Cons
one break, over worked, poor management
Friendly
Manager (Former Employee) –  Springdale, OHJuly 2, 2018
Great company to grow and work in people work here for years like 40 plus years you become like family with the consumers it's never a dull moment ...
bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Hempstead, NYJuly 2, 2018
a typical day at white castle was i was always mad and frustrated when i wlked in becayse i knew how bad the day was going to be. The hardest part was dealing with rude custoners
Pros
lunch
Cons
short break
It was no moving up with the company
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJuly 2, 2018
I worked for white castle for 5 years and I didn't see my life moving forward. I did the steps needed to move up in the company and still nothing so I felt like I needed something new.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
No growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White Castle. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

75out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at White Castle.

Powered by Comparably