White House Black Market Employee Reviews

nice work place
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 21, 2019
The job was a very nice temporary job, but not somewhere I would like to stay long term. The typical day varied with hours and the customers. The Job was somewhat enjoyable, but I did not like the scheduling methods.
Pros
good coworkers and environment
Cons
hectic scheduling
Quick paced, fun environment with great employees.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2019
Quick paced fun environment with amazing employees. Manager was understanding and relatable. Flexible schedules and willing to work with employees on payment.
A nice part-time job
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 20, 2019
The environment with co-workers is generally friendly and you are the one who sets the pace with the customers you help. Management is generally hands off with things regarding customers as that is where your commission comes from and they win if you're winning. The best part of the job is getting to try on the clothes yourself to see how the fit works for your size and how to translate how well the clothes look and feel to your customer. You form personal relationships with the regulars that come in. You even get a pretty good discount for the clothes during certain times of the month.
Productive and fast pace
Support-Associate (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 19, 2019
My position includes opening new inventory, unpackaging it, and steaming it. Then you bring it to the floor. Management is nice and very easy to work with. Hardest part of the job is not getting many hours in the summer.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No benefits
Worked alone alot which was not permitted
Key Holder/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 16, 2019
Terrible place to work, we had to work alone quite frequently. Which was not permitted by corporate but the district manager made us work alone. The pay rate is terrible for the amount of work that you have to do. And if you took a day off they would cut your hours to punish you. Not a good place to work at all...
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short breaks
The manager was great but...
Stock and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 15, 2019
I absolutely loved the manager. She did everything in her power to make working a lot more enjoyable. She was always willing to work with schedules and the employees. Unfortunately, the company itself is rough to work with. They are tough and some higher managers just don't care about the employees making it hard. But! if you enjoy selling and playing dress up then this job is perfect for you. The customer relations are wonderful!
Was great for a while... then downhill
Support Associate (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJune 15, 2019
I worked at WHBM for about 6 months. I loved all of my coworkers and am even friends with one of them after leaving almost a year ago. The ladies who work there are beyond kind (at least at my location). I felt that as a cashier, my wage was alright as an incoming college student. However had I been any older it would definitely not be enough (that's the economics student in me talking). I was paid $9.90 an hour in New Hampshire, whereas in MA the same exact job was paid $12.
Hours and everything were okay, however my manager was the devil in disguise. She reeled me in - very kind and flexible at first. Then as soon as I was there for over 4 months I got the WORST shifts. All Friday and Saturday nights, working 2 hours past closing when I had a curfew that she was well-aware of. My breaking point was holidays. I attempted to put in my two weeks notice around early November - my college schedule was becoming hectic and I couldn't handle working and studying at the same time. She basically refused to take it and convinced me to stay through holidays. I told her I would on one condition stay - I get the holidays off that I request. I only asked for the last night of Hanukkah and Christmas Eve. Guess what? Was scheduled for 10 HOURS both days I asked for off. Needless to say, I emailed her my resignation immediately and never spoke to my boss again.
Whenever I'm in the mall though, I like to go in if I don't see her there and visit my old coworkers. I loved them and these ladies gave me so much life advice that I'll continue to use for a while.

Moral of the story - WHBM gave
  more... me a great experience in a great store. Just make sure you don't let yourself get pushed around by management and you'll do great. It was a wonderful first job and I would recommend it.  less
Pros
great coworkers, cute clothes
Cons
management, wage
Amazing - Leadership development outstanding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ellenton, FLJune 14, 2019
Chicos Fas Corporation
Incredible journey- Corporation supports field
Increases are 2.5% of pay but this retail standard
Highly Recommend for Managers
Pros
Benefits, Corporate focus on training and development
Cons
Below Target Walmart McDonald’s- part time employee wages
Fashion Forward
Wardrobe Stylist/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 7, 2019
White House Black Market is a very fashion forward high end retail clothing store. I enjoyed mixing my work experience and my fashion degree together to help grow within the company. Being a female based store forced me to become very knowledgeable with company products.
Enjoyable workplace within the Lakeline Mall
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 3, 2019
It was a nice job to have as my first experience of working in the retail field. I felt like the hours I was given were reasonable. However, sometimes the hours weren't as flexible for me as they were for other employees. I feel like this was a store location issue only, and that manager has since left. Overall, it was a very nice experience where I learned a lot and made good connections with my fellow employees.
Pros
30 min lunches for every 6 hours worked, close to the food court
not a great corporation
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Byron Center, MIMay 30, 2019
The company puts enormous pressure on sales performance which does not reflect the hourly pay. This corporation values its customers far more then its employees. Benefits are non existent and no one is allowed full time hours who isnt management.
Ok to build resume
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2019
Average retail job. Pay isn’t that great. Employer discount is not that great either. If you move up within the company, don’t expect to get paid much more. This company only offers 10% more of your previous salary. And if you are lucky to negotiate more than the standard 10% don’t expect to make as much as someone that is hired outside of the company. Benefits are standard.
Pros
Benefits for full time employees
Cons
Salary
Inconsistency in corporate directives
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 22, 2019
With the company suffering in performance the last four years, several new training and developmental resources have been provided, but there's simply no time to take advantage of them in a typical work day.
Nice people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 15, 2019
I enjoy working here as the manager is very efficient and is flexible to work around my full time position with another company. I work here for fun and because I love the clothes!
I would not rrecommend
Instore Visual Coordinator (ISVC) (Former Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMay 13, 2019
The pay was horrendous.
Store level management created and promoted a very 'Mean Girl' atmosphere in all stores I worked.
District managers were unwavering.
Collections were never new. They continually made the same clothing in the same colors, slightly different shade.
Do not work here!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 9, 2019
This job is the absolute WORSE JOB I EVER HAD! Not only were the customers rude, the management was worse. As an assistant manager I couldn’t leave for breaks if another lead wasn’t there on duty. I would have to give my card or cash to the associate I was with to go get me food (stupid rule, I never did this). The pay was sooooo low for all the work they require of you. Only if you’re desperate should you work here (even then, DONT). RUN!
Consistent workplace, challenging, fun
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNMay 1, 2019
I enjoyed working at White House Black Market.
I accepted the challenge of helping customers with their wardrobe needs. I enjoyed to meeting lots of new people.
Lovely and Entertaining
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 24, 2019
There are several opportunities to show my skills, the boss provides and environment to excel and become something better than you were yesterday. You have the opportunity to sell and make a bonus for the sale.
Pros
Flexible hours. fair lunch breaks
Cons
Outdated store
Awful company to work for!!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 24, 2019
Very strange company with their rules and guidelines. They would rather sweep issues with fellow employees under the rug than acknowledge it and get to the root of the issue. My co-workers aren’t friendly, they are cliquey and will pretty much ignore me for the majority of my 6.5-7 hour shifts. They make me feel isolated and secluded, so I keep to myself and won’t talk to anyone during my shift. It’s an uncomfortable and hostile work setting to be in. It is also very competitive in the sense that the more employees working together, the more competition it is to get to a customer before the others can and get that sale. Your hours are based on how much you sell, which is unfair considering there might be external factors that play a part why people aren’t buying or walking through those doors. Sometimes you can’t control these things, so to have your hours shortened because of it is unfair. It is scripted the way you approach customers and when customers try on clothing in the fitting rooms. It’s so rehearsed and phony the way these associates speak to customers it’s gross. I hate the fact that it’s constant pressure to meet your numbers otherwise you get spoken to for dropping the ball. The whole company sucks. The bonus program is awful and only applies to how much you sell per transaction vs. the total amount you sold the whole shift. They should do commission based on 5% of your total sales. That is the fair way to do it. Just don’t work for White House Black Market. I’m leaving in three weeks anyway, thankfully. I definitely would not recommend anyone to work here. The  more... girls here don’t like anyone new, and they make it obvious. Everyone is stuck up and has a snobby attitude. The company claims to uplift women up but I’ve only experienced being torn down!!!  less
Pros
-employee discount on their overpriced clothing
Cons
-cliquey co-workers, low pay for high work expectations, unrealistic sales goals for associates, rude customers
No work life balance
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYApril 23, 2019
Whitehouse black market does not appreciate their associates. The upper executives does not care about the workers in the stores. They do not take the time to see how they can help the stores

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White House Black Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss