White House Black Market Employee Reviews

Low traffic location. Not enough customers to keep busy.
Sales, National up-scale woman's apparel retailer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis Park, MNNovember 12, 2018
Their hourly rate is low, saying that bonus money compensates. However, their bonus system (including their ability to take back money if there's a return) is not very lucrative. Management should be trained more professionally to ensure everyone is on the same page for store management. On the flip side, it's a fun job to help women find clothes they look and feel good wearing. I met many good women in this role.
It was a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 6, 2018
The pay was decent. Most of the staff got along and respected each other. The clothes in my opinion are of good quality for their prices. Honestly my only problem with the company was the manager of the store I worked for.She wasn't the best boss.
managerial
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  estero flNovember 6, 2018
My Store manager was fired. Everyday was something different staff was nice to work with if they stayed.I worked independtily from day to day basically learned from previous experience
Great Place to work and get experince in reatil
1st Key Holder/ Frontend Lead (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 4, 2018
A typical day was goig in and helping guest with ward robing, checking out, closing and opening the registers, and unloading freight. Placing it out on the floor as shown in floor plans.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Pooler, GAOctober 22, 2018
A great environment to work in. Management is very supportive and understanding. No where near the best pay/benefits wise but the atmosphere and management style is amazing and makes it a great place to work.
White House Black Market developed many of my strengths
Market Manager Northern California (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 19, 2018
I started as a Store Manager, and was promoted to a Market Manager. For the first 6 years, I was very happy, and felt valued and was a top producer. There were some executive changes that brought about some negative results. I hope that some of these problems were resolved. I felt the atmosphere became very negative-and that Store Managers were put under too much stress.
Pros
Positive, competetive environment-celebrated success
Cons
Negative changes at the end of 2013
Very laid back
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77024October 10, 2018
Managers and other associates are great to work with. Discounts are pretty cool too! Love the fact that when I get off work I still have a good amount of the day to enjoy and overall its a nice atmosphere.
Loved dressing women in their clothes and our discounts.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 4, 2018
White House Black Market is a great company to work for. Where else can you play dress up with beautiful clothing. You receive great discounts at the sister companies also and can earn great bonuses. We got excited every time a new line came out. It was like Christmas! Our number one priority was Excellent Customer Service.
Pros
Discounts on clothing and with the sister stores.
Cons
No flexibility when there was an event going on you had to be there, regardless of the family event you might have that day.
Slave labor
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousOctober 4, 2018
Very unrewarding , last minute schedule changes, unfair management. Hostile work environment . Poor pay. No or expensive benefits. No ten minute breaks, impossible to eat in 30 minutes. Managers constantly criticize employees.
Temporary option
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Only good as a part-time side job or if you are a student in need of some extra pocket money
Pros: flexible hours, easy to get days off when needed, most managers and coworkers are nice, employee discount
Cons: very low paid job, no career path

Want to know more about White House Black Market?

Ask a question
Poor
Sales Lead / Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 23, 2018
Poor management. Low wage and no commission. Not enough extra pay to be a key holder. The store manager and assistants talk about the employees in poor taste. There is no constructive criticism. If you are bored and standing around when no customers.. they will get upset if you clean or find something to do. Managers get competitive with sales.. they will move other associates to stores to make bonus, while others are held back. This company and brand also over sexualize women and you can earn “points” and kudos for wearing & carrying around lipstick and applying it to your lips frequently. If you aren’t heavy into your face, makeup and being a fake...this place is not for you.
Pros
Gain experience
Cons
Which one?
Good
Visual Merchandiser/Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 19, 2018
I have learned how to display store settings according to floor set. To help each and every customer that best fit their needs and ensure they are satisfied with excellent customer service. Working well as team and learning more about the brand.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low raise
Friendly personalized boutique
Sales Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Pooler, GASeptember 18, 2018
A typical day in retail in the boutique would begin with a pace in meeting. Talked with co-workers about sales and traffic thus far and goals to meet. Management always checking with associates and checking where improvement may be needed, trying new sales tactics or approaches. I learned a lot about communication, not just how to approach a customer but how to make them feel welcomed and comfortable shopping; asking all the right questions to cater to their needs. The hardest part of the job for me was balancing my home life and picking up hours and covering call outs as a keyholder with my home life schedule, but the most enjoyable part would have to have been the relaxed personal feel we gave. Unlike other retail I had worked, this job was about selling and making numbers but more so about making sure your customer left happy and returned to you knowing you would take care of anything they needed again and again.
Pros
Positive interactions, enhancing social skills, good management.
Cons
No commission
Amazing customers.
Assistant Manager/Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 13, 2018
The interaction with customers makes this a good place to work.
If you want to succeed, you must be very aggressive. It is easy to be overlooked if you do not speak up.
fun and productive environment, always positive and uplifting
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 9, 2018
Strong support by the store manager for my personal career development, always encouraging me to learn as much as possible. Supports me in whatever I want to do within the company.
Pros
flexible schedules
awesome management great environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 7, 2018
typical day would be training new employees and teaching them how to handle customers. employees had great work ethics and were super positive. the most enjoyable part for me was someone who was really interested in what they wanted to do, we have limited customers but the ones we do have are loyal so understanding them what they like, them trying new things, helping them step out of there comfort zone and actually loving what we have provided them is amazing, they gain this new confidence which gives us more confidence.
Pros
great place and work ethics
Cons
limited customers
Productive and great place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 5, 2018
White House Black Market is a great company to work for! Great atmosphere, awesome co workers and mature customers. They have a great management team!
Pros
Great incentives!
Management Conflicts
Sales Lead/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 5, 2018
I worked as a Sales Lead in-store. While I really loved my immediate in-store Manager, there were a lot of problems with the District manager in regards to communication. There is a severe disconnect between the store and upper-level management.
fighting e-commerce hard and failing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CASeptember 5, 2018
Brick and mortar retail stores are dying under e-commerce and online returns go against the stores daily numbers, under high pressure from corporate. It's like failing every day and theres little to be done about it.
great place to work
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 29, 2018
It's great place to work the only thing i not like is the selling pieces it's very cut throat and the onlines returns goes against daily sales goal i hope they changes that.
Pros
great discount
Cons
selling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White House Black Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight