White House Black Market
Coronavirus update

White House Black Market Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate248 reviews
United States248 reviews
Very friendly, relaxed pace type of job until it does get busy and you kind of run around, see if customers are okay but yet again not try to be so annoying with them. During the weekdays it is chill and pretty slow at times.
Pay & benefits
I was paid 9 an hr, the starting rate was around 8 something, I asked for 10 and 9 was the best they could do. And no benefits because I was part time.
Overall, really good job. I was a sales associate, so the pay was average for retail, but there was opportunity to earn 'commission' if you sold a certain amount of merchandise, which was cool. Regular retail hours, nothing crazy. Enjoyed working here while I did.
Pros
'Commission' on certain dollar amounts sold, gave me good experience on listening to what the customer wants
Cons
It's retail, so, if you've ever worked in retail, then you know what the cons are
Overall it was good. I love fashion so I loved that I could show off my style. My location was never really busy do really hard to make sales. I left because they promised more than what they were able to deliver and then the pandemic hit
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
When I first got hired for this position, I was extremely thrilled for the learning experience. As time progressed, the environment became hostile. Some managers looked down at people who held positions that were below them. There was a specific assistant manager who maintained such an ego that allowed her to insults both customers and employees. The words she uttered about me and others showed her insecurities and ego. Those who were in charge of her always took her side. I learned a lot while working in that toxic environment. With the amount of stress I had handling school work, I couldn’t handle an environment where being in it made me cry and constantly gave me a headache. I definitely do not recommend working in that place. I hope the company hires much more professionals who truly care about the employees and customers.
Pros
Obtaining sales associate skills
Cons
Pay, stressful environment
I worked here during my time at college and really loved it. My manager was the sweetest and most considerate person I’ve ever met. The pay was less than ideal but it was a college job and there is room for advancement if pay is an important.
New expectations constantly, no incentives for leading in sales, the main manager was horrible and rude, did not have a supportive encouraging manner at all.
Pros
co workers were great
Cons
Manager and pay was terrible
The company itself is great, but the customers sometimes want you to do everything. They will leave a mess just because they know that you will pick ut up and not buy anything for the day. The job is a lot of work but you dont get paid for how kuch you have to do its a cool mall job for a highschool student not for adults
Pros
Cute clothes, company discount
Cons
Customers
The women are extremely mean and judgmental in this company. Not understanding and not flexible. It’s a toxic work environment because all they do is talk about someone at the company. They made me do their jobs 24/7 and yelled at me if I didn’t do it right when I didn’t know what I was doing because it wasn’t my job to do...they also take your sales to get bonuses. Not worth it for only 8 an hour.
You need to get to know the customers before you help them. Give them a nice experience, not only so they'll come back but they'll tell everyone about their experience(s).
Would not recommend. The pay is insultingly low. They offer a decent discount but it’s minimum wage. Would highly recommend cultural competency training.
Can get the hours that you can work. Fun place to work, when you walk in the other workers acknowledge you and welcome you. You clock in then get paced in.
I have always felt a sense of purpose working for Chicos FAS, even in an entry level position, because everyone involved with the company clearly takes pride in what they do. Rarely in my life have I felt as supported and encouraged as I have working for this company.
If you were not degreed or management did not want you to grow, they made a point of letting you know overtly and suttle. A lot of mind games by management, for such low wages. The discount on clothes was nice. No health insurance offered for part-time hourly, and it was impossible to get fulltime hours.
Management was very new and inexperienced - hours varied each week - I was hirds as a part time employee and hours were erratic and cut back to 4 hours without my input or effect on my personal situation. I left the company in disgust - my description did not include taking out the garbage and mopping the floors - as I was the only male employee these tasks were delegated to me.
It was a great experience working at WHBM. Loved my managers from the beginning until the last few months of me working there, there was a particular Sales Lead that was in her own way special and made working there difficult. We managed to work around her though. Wished the Store Manager had done something about her but I believe she did the best she could during the circumstances of the store. Overall, I enjoyed working with my coworkers and it was fun. Learned something new every shift.
Everything is amazing here at White House Black Market! They care about the employees and genuinely want you to be at the top of your game to succeed! If you are sick then you can call out without the third degree! You can speak with the managers directly about any questions you may or may not have and they will answer honestly. The pay is typical of a starting job from high school! Also there are 401k (Roth) available as well as stock available after working for a certain period!
I truly enjoyed my time at WHBM. I worked with a great boss who was flexible with scheduling me around my family. The staff I worked with was very professional and we worked well together. I liked being able to travel to other local stores to work when needed.
Mgr.insisted hard shoes, dressing professional, buy their expensive clothes on $13/hr pay, never allowed to sit working 4-6-8 hrs straight inhumane!!!
I enjoyed finding the right style and clothing for clients. I have worn their clothes for many years, so had excellent knowledge of their fit and coordinating pieces.
Strong minimum daily sales targets. Scheduling can be random at times which affects work/life balance. However, management never failed to recognize these schedule fluctuations on the payroll. The most enjoyable part of working there was the comprehensive training programs for employees, particularly sales skills and styling.