White House Black Market Employee Reviews

Inconsistency in corporate directives
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 22, 2019
With the company suffering in performance the last four years, several new training and developmental resources have been provided, but there's simply no time to take advantage of them in a typical work day.
Nice people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 15, 2019
I enjoy working here as the manager is very efficient and is flexible to work around my full time position with another company. I work here for fun and because I love the clothes!
I would not rrecommend
Instore Visual Coordinator (ISVC) (Former Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMay 13, 2019
The pay was horrendous.
Store level management created and promoted a very 'Mean Girl' atmosphere in all stores I worked.
District managers were unwavering.
Collections were never new. They continually made the same clothing in the same colors, slightly different shade.
Do not work here!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 9, 2019
This job is the absolute WORSE JOB I EVER HAD! Not only were the customers rude, the management was worse. As an assistant manager I couldn’t leave for breaks if another lead wasn’t there on duty. I would have to give my card or cash to the associate I was with to go get me food (stupid rule, I never did this). The pay was sooooo low for all the work they require of you. Only if you’re desperate should you work here (even then, DONT). RUN!
Consistent workplace, challenging, fun
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNMay 1, 2019
I enjoyed working at White House Black Market.
I accepted the challenge of helping customers with their wardrobe needs. I enjoyed to meeting lots of new people.
Lovely and Entertaining
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 24, 2019
There are several opportunities to show my skills, the boss provides and environment to excel and become something better than you were yesterday. You have the opportunity to sell and make a bonus for the sale.
Pros
Flexible hours. fair lunch breaks
Cons
Outdated store
Awful company to work for!!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYApril 24, 2019
Very strange company with their rules and guidelines. They would rather sweep issues with fellow employees under the rug than acknowledge it and get to the root of the issue. My co-workers aren’t friendly, they are cliquey and will pretty much ignore me for the majority of my 6.5-7 hour shifts. They make me feel isolated and secluded, so I keep to myself and won’t talk to anyone during my shift. It’s an uncomfortable and hostile work setting to be in. It is also very competitive in the sense that the more employees working together, the more competition it is to get to a customer before the others can and get that sale. Your hours are based on how much you sell, which is unfair considering there might be external factors that play a part why people aren’t buying or walking through those doors. Sometimes you can’t control these things, so to have your hours shortened because of it is unfair. It is scripted the way you approach customers and when customers try on clothing in the fitting rooms. It’s so rehearsed and phony the way these associates speak to customers it’s gross. I hate the fact that it’s constant pressure to meet your numbers otherwise you get spoken to for dropping the ball. The whole company sucks. The bonus program is awful and only applies to how much you sell per transaction vs. the total amount you sold the whole shift. They should do commission based on 5% of your total sales. That is the fair way to do it. Just don’t work for White House Black Market. I’m leaving in three weeks anyway, thankfully. I definitely would not recommend anyone to work here. The  more... girls here don’t like anyone new, and they make it obvious. Everyone is stuck up and has a snobby attitude. The company claims to uplift women up but I’ve only experienced being torn down!!!  less
Pros
-employee discount on their overpriced clothing
Cons
-cliquey co-workers, low pay for high work expectations, unrealistic sales goals for associates, rude customers
No work life balance
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYApril 23, 2019
Whitehouse black market does not appreciate their associates. The upper executives does not care about the workers in the stores. They do not take the time to see how they can help the stores
management is amazing
Support Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 17, 2019
working as a support associate, you dont get paid alot. no one does unless you've been with the company for a few years. there's a 15 cent raise every February and thats about it other than commission. if you're not a sales associate you can kiss that dream goodbye
Pros
65% off discount every once in a while
Cons
terrible pay
No Thanks
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXApril 17, 2019
I enjoyed working here for the most part...the managers only cared about the money and not about you or the customers and told me I would never move up in the company because I was too young.
Typical retail job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCApril 16, 2019
A decent place to work...coddling to customers was the most frustrating part. Scheduling is very strict. Must be very upbeat and perky to enjoy working there.
Afraid of store closing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2019
Great benefits. Loved my team members.
Upper management micromanaging. Fear based environment. Stress has become too much. Too many other retail jobs out there that pay more. I moved on.
Miss my coworkers
Great place to grow
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NJApril 11, 2019
This company is great at advancing those that truly seek opportunity...see a goal and go for it!
Better dress code options would've allowed for happier work environment.
Well-managed and fun place to work
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 9, 2019
Great company, really cares about their employees. Fun and fashionable place to work while providing great customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping clients find what they need or helping them refresh their wardrobe.
Great
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Mashantucket, CTApril 8, 2019
Great opportunity to learn about management of store operations with helpful staff and learning techniques. Training is straightforward, with manuals readily available, should you come across any difficulties.
A Good First Job
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 4, 2019
I worked at White House Black Market simultaneously with another retail position. Overall the job was flexible but slightly more competitive than some other retail positions. This would be a great job for someone starting out in the industry or someone who needs extra money, but may not be the best place to go if you're looking for a career.
Complete lack of structure, unpleasant work environment
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAApril 2, 2019
I’m sure other locations aren’t as bad as where I worked. The pay isn’t the best but that’s retail. The hours are good and the work it self is simple. The problem lies in management and lack of structure for employees. Things workers get away with here would never fly anywhere else. Not worth your time! Wish I could’ve got in touch with corporate.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Workers treated unfairly
fun but no time off
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 31, 2019
fun job however don't expect to be promoted. They want to hire within the company however they don't provide the training to make that possible so they end up hiring outside of the company for people who have experience for that specific position.
Favoritism
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDMarch 29, 2019
Unfortunately, in the store I worked the practice of favoritism is accepted, which undermines work environments in any industry.
The company holds good values overall, though so it is still worth your shot. I worked at the Annapolis Mall store. The assistant manager is excellent and very professional. One of their two sales leads works the bare minimum she can and has been with the company for about 3 years. The other sales lead who has a degree in business is very competent and a great team member.
There is a lot to do in the store with customers and merchandise so it is a good place to get experience but not to get promoted. Other associates are very friendly and polite.
Pros
You gain good experience in a busy store
Cons
Favoritism
White House Black Market
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  White House Black Market- ColliervilleMarch 28, 2019
Best women's clothes for the price and quality. environment in the company was very strained due to being held at high goal for sales. Not only for the store Manager but also for each employee. Very stressful.
Pros
selling structure in the store and setting goals that could not be reached.
Cons
Best Women's clothes ever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White House Black Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss