White House Black Market Employee Reviews

Everyday was a new, fresh day to work and hit targets.
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTMarch 7, 2019
Working at WHBM was a completely different role for me as I had never worked in retail before. I found the training was a bit inconsistent and it was more of an exercise in learning how to work under each manager - training was split across managers. I enjoyed working with our clients on a daily basis - the most enjoyable part of my job was trying to "outfit" a client for a particular need - whether it be for one evening or a trip across multiple days. I love trying to understand what the clients wants / needs, and then figuring out how to meet those needs. The hardest part of the job was working with senior management in terms of what the Company was promoting verses what our Store Manager was targeting.
Pros
Employee DIscount
Great Place for Starting in Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 7, 2019
The company as a whole is great to work for. My district had some kinks to work through but overall after a change in management, but overall it was a great learning experience and taught me the world of sales and retail.
I loved this job but it was time to leave
Stylist/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYMarch 6, 2019
This is one of the best jobs you could have. The staff is super friendly (can judge you sometimes). They like to hire new people and give your hours away. Any days you request off you can get off
Pros
flexible hours and scheduling
Cons
not a judge free zone
It sucked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 4, 2019
If you dont sell you dont work, if your dont work you dont sell. Dont plan on having this as a permanent job but also dont get another job while working here either the hours wont allow it if you get any
Enjoyed My Time There
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAFebruary 20, 2019
I really did enjoy working at White House Black Market. All the ladies at my location were great to work with and we all got along. The general manager is an amazing lady and easy to work for. Only problem I had is that my schedule never followed my actual availability which kinda made school hard and was laughed at when I told the managers I was falling behind because of the scheduling conflicts. BUT other than there was absolutely no problems and working there as fun.
Pros
great co-workers, awesome manager
Cons
schedules outside availability
awesome
Lead Stylist Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2019
nice place to work PERIOD. great atmosphere coworkers and managers all get along, customers come in to spend a lot and are always friendly never a dull day at work.
It's like being the only adult at a high school
Lead Stylist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2019
None of the leads behaved like leads. No one, including management came to work on time. Everyone talked behind everyone else's backs. No one was accountable for their behavior. I won't say that everyday was bad, we did have some good days, but they didn't balance out. The stylists tend to be these self-involved, can't live without their phones, always bringing personal business into work with them people who will occasionally look up and notice that there's a business going on around them. When you really see them on top of their game is when someone from corporate is on the way.
Pros
When the manager was there things were great
Cons
Everything else
Standard retail position
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTFebruary 16, 2019
The position is pretty standard for a small retail environment. Not fully staffed, low paying, no sales incentives but are required to meet certain sales standards and quotas.
Cons
No set schedule
Not too bad for a store
Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Come on, this is retail, doesn´t matter if the store is high end or not they are all of the same: Lot's of work, lousy pay.
Horrific company culture
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2019
No work/life balance. No appreciation for talent or hard work. Terrible pay and bonus structure. Aggressive sales tactics that are detrimental to company success. Underhanded management practices. Extremely toxic company and work environment. Customers receive a better discount on clothing than employees. Run from this company and do yourself a favor by working literally anywhere else.
Pros
The jeans are nice.
Cons
Everything else.
Very professional work culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 4, 2019
I appreciate how the company prides itself on how the employees should dress for work and assist the customers. WE provide a personal shopping experience for our customers to ensure that all of their needs have been met.
seasonal
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, MDFebruary 4, 2019
My first job, I was hired seasonally. A nice company to work for. It is an upscale boutique so it helped develop customer service skills as well as my once poor social skills
Chico's FAS
Personal Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 30, 2019
It's a sales driven job. You make commission so you work hard. It can get a little cut-throat but overall it's a fun job of dressing people up and making them feel beautiful. It's hard to get promoted though, especially if everyone on the team is determined to move up. Positions are limited. The company cares about it's employees.
team oriented working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXJanuary 29, 2019
This company is known for its hard workers, dedicated professionals, whom always put the customer first. Every day is filled with a motivation, and is lead in a team oriented environment.
Pros
flexible schedule
It's fine
Key Holder-Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJJanuary 23, 2019
I worked there for 2 years and I was able to move up within the company relatively quickly even though that wasn't my goal. They are extremely focused on numbers and hitting goals. The morning meetings were incessant and they had multiple conference calls a week just reiterating the same things. I stayed longer than I meant to.
Pros
cute clothes for a good discount
Cons
poor pay
Does not care about store mgm or associates. Only dm, gm get paid when the store hits mark. No commission for stores considered outlets.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington Tanger outletJanuary 22, 2019
Smand gm combined position s. So the adm gets to do most of the work. Then gm accrpts all credit for asm store when it hits bonus’s. Hours are horrible. You can put in 60 hr a week and credit goes to GM. No back bone in confronting wrong doings by store key holders . To worried about them being a whistle blower. You can work hard, move up to asm. And still dm and gm will never notice the work put in!
Pros
Yr. reviews
Cons
Pay and time off
Great store, great customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Del Rey, CAJanuary 19, 2019
Worked here for 2 years and loved majority of my co workers. A lot of people left (including myself) because of recent management. The district manager does not help with a lot of in store problem's nor does she help when it comes to the management in the store. One of the assistant managers was the most amazing person to work with, she would help you whenever you needed help. The customers were great on most days. There are difficulties with customers once in a while but you really need to be patient.
Pros
flexible schedule, and good hours
Cons
Manager has lost many employees
A very fun work place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOJanuary 19, 2019
Loved working for this company. Was always a very fun and upbeat environment for employees and customers. Management was always very positive and organized.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 16, 2019
If you like retail and working with clients that typically only come in to buy this is the place for you. The brand is geared towards modern working women so they very rarely come in just to “browse”
Great place to work with wonderful co-workers and customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 16, 2019
I have worked for Chicos and White House Black Market on a part time and full time basis for 8 years. I have loved every moment of working there. I left only to return to education.
Pros
wonderful co-workers; beautiful clothes
Cons
working evenings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at White House Black Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight