Whitlock Employee Reviews

Very fast paced but not at all a reliable job
Operations Management (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 3, 2018
Great exposure to high level AV installs and projects, but they get these large projects and dont staff up for them, then drop the ball and blame each other for it. There is decent management at the 50,000 ft view, but they dont know what all is going on at each local market. Clueless. But they do rely on a couple of people to do everything for them here and there, so its a fast paced stressful backstabbing cut throat environment. All projects are over budget and no one cares until you get cut because "they don't have the funds" to keep you on. Not worth it if you are looking at multiple places, don't choose this one.
Pros
27 meetings in one day talking about the same things over and over
Cons
No recognition, no "team" environment sink or float, lots of back stabbing, bad management.
fast paced environment, understaffed
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 12, 2018
Whitlock was understaffed and very fast paced because the workload was heavy. They needed at least one more full-timer in the department. It made for a stressful environment for all employees, including the supervisor and controller.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
heavy workload, no time for breaks or days off with family
Sales cut-throat culture company
Designer (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 11, 2018
Random almost weekly layoffs for no real reason ever given, over 20+ people laid off during my tenure there.
Manager literally refused to tell me what I would be doing or title of my position until the first day when I showed up and saw it on my desk. Had a lot of great AV Design experience working with big enterprise companies, but my particular office, had the strangest culture I've ever seen in a company. No real leadership anywhere in the office and no real support for anything. Just had to "figure it out" for 99% of my questions or issues with any of my job duties due to manager being too involved/disconnected to care. Way underpaid for cost of living in expensive area, benefits were a joke (health insurance high deductible PPO to name one). Management not at all understanding with ability to work from home 1-2 days a week to avoid terrible traffic commute.
Pros
Teammates were all very nice and helpful people, enjoyed working with them.
Cons
Weekly lay-offs for no reason. Atriocious, unhelpful management.
No training
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 9, 2018
Whitlock has many great attributes as a company, and a wonderful mix of executives who are talented. How you succeed will depend on your local manager, as far as sales go. Make sure you have a manager who is engaged and will take the time to train and invest in your future.
Pros
professional environment, great commission structure, solid CEO
Cons
no training or little on boarding for new sales people
The truth of whitlock here in Washington dc / Ashburn
Foreman/Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 27, 2018
The company is going through new management. I was a current employee for this company. My role was to lead technicians and projects to the best of my knowledge. My issues with this company was that they would hire project managers and other managers for sales and managing projects. The biggest issue was they get new hire's to manage projects and they do not have any experience of AV. Managers with sales experience have never sold or seen what a basic AV system looks like. Then is up to you the lowest paid individual person to train, teach and, run the whole project because they don't have a clue about what is going on. They always wait for the last minute and that is why they have lost so much business. I was always in person handling customer interactions on a daily basis. The customer would explained the horrible leadership and business oriented that the company is doing. My responsibility now is to calm the customer and handle the fire that was given from management. Currently this office has a favoritism environment at the ASH-BURN VA office. If you are not part of a certain group you will not advance or you will loose your job. I feel that corporate will need to investigate this issue an make changes.
Pros
You will received a pay-check every two weeks.
Cons
Management/ Really LOW PAY! For the stress that you need to deal with.
Great Company Culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 4, 2018
Great people and company culture but lacking strong growth plan for the business that involves the team. Integration is a difficult business that is driven by strong sales and lean operations. Balancing the two is a daily task.
Unorganized and hard to track upcoming jobs
Programmer (Remote) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 1, 2018
I worked there for almost 2 years. Enjoyed my boss and his work ethic. Unfortunately this company has a tendency to over estimate upcoming work loads and hired and fired at an unreasonable rate.
great family enviroment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tamarac, FLNovember 27, 2017
great place to work at, very good culture. Excellent chance to move up the ladder. Management is very helpful and works with you on any situation. Very aware of its employees
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
way too many meetings
Absolutely horrible management teams
Operations Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2017
Management is an extremely big part of any companies vision and goals. Management is absolutely poor - very clicky, forget doing ur job correctly and was one was hired to do. It's what each region wants and each region had there own priorities set aside from the actual companies goals.
Known for dishonest management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 24, 2017
This company is a revolving door. People leave as fast as they get hired. Figure on a 60 hour work week minimum. This place will take a real toll on marriages.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Unstable market, unethical top management
Chaotic and Fast Paced
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 23, 2017
Corporate office has some great people doing good work with outdated processes. Long overdue upgrades are in process to improve office environment, systems and advancement possibilities.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Antiquated systems and processes
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKJune 15, 2017
Whitlock was a fast paced environment to work at it definitely kept you on ur toes with the assembly line. It was a pretty good job and it was good pay as well.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Short breaks
Fast pace fun place to work
Machine Operator/Line lead (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 10, 2017
My favorite job was Whitlock I enjoyed the heat the work I did I learned all the machines there and they are all pretty easy to learn. The people are good people to work with
Pros
People friendly
Cons
Drama
Great company but runs to lean
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2017
Whitlock is a great company with great management and a great culture. The AE's are some of the best I've worked with and there truly is a family environment here. The technology is awesome to work with and you get to work on some really cool projects with really cool customers. BUT, the benefits are expensive and cover little, they try to do to much with to few people, and there is a lack of defined processes which makes getting things done challening.
Looking for work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 9, 2017
This is a good company to work for. Have to be accepted by the right crowd to get anything accomplished.
Job turnaround is high.
Insurance benefits aren't very good.
Lot of people work "remotely" and it's unclear what the responsibilities are. I've been waiting for something to do since March 6th when my sales rep left.
Pros
Work remotely
Cons
No steady work
Unorganized and Management Blames The Technicians
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Tamarac, FLApril 20, 2017
I worked for this company for a short amount of time. The Management did not care about the employees under them. You were sent to jobs with limited knowledge of the actual work to be performed. They want you to install equipment with no schematics and sometimes we didn't even have all the equipment to do the job. They jobs would require programming and they would not even have it ready until the last day of the job. How do you test and commission the system on the last day?

They boast of being Employee Oriented, but I did not see it. I worked 55+ hours a week and the techs were not given any thanks for difficult jobs. The Project Managers were the ones given praise.

You work with the project managers and they were unsure of what was going on at job sites. You would request specific items to complete the job and they would say ok and then not order or provide the items needed. They would blame the techs and say they were not given the information.

I worked for another AV Company and you were highly prepared for the jobs you went to. I knew when I walked into a job what was needed.

My recommendation would be to stay away from this company. I am CTS Certified, have a Bachelors in Network Engineering with 20 years experience, and am a Veteran and I have never been treated with so much distaste.
Pros
Techs were good people
Cons
Poor Organization, Poor Management, Not Employee Oriented like they Boast
Its a job , that's about all.
Warehouse Coordinator / Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 10, 2017
Company is good , but management in the Southeast region is very poor. Managers aren't loyal. If you like open and stress free jobs this is not for you, office doors stay closed and people always whispering. Hardest part of my job was trying to get a manager to back me in enforcing corporate mandated warehouse rules.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 6, 2016
Whitlock is a great company to work for but the managers does not have a good relationship with the employees they have a very high turnover for employment
Good company
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2016
I learned so much here as this was my first av company to work for.
management is good but they like to hire a lot of people then once that big job is done they like to lay off
benefits
Cons
lay offs a lot
We Have had a great crew on this Large project.
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 30, 2016
we have had 250 VTC rooms so far, Large project for a leading home improvement company. Weekly travel. and teaching new employees
the standards of this project.