Whitman College Employee Reviews

Great place to work as a student
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 24, 2018
If you can find a job within your department, this is a great place to work as a student. They pay you reasonably well, and if you are looking to pad your resume, it is worth it to take on a little extra responsibility during school.
Great Experience
Library Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJanuary 8, 2018
This was a great job to have during my undergraduate years. I learned a lot about management and organization. I would highly recommend working here to anyone who is interested.
Low Stress, Low Work Environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAOctober 24, 2017
Typical small, Liberal Arts college, with all the problems of a small Liberal Arts college -- dwindling enrollment, exorbitant tuition, etc.

The workplace culture and management will vary depending on the department in which you work. My department is characterized by a laid back atmosphere, very little work to do, and management who fear direct communication with their subordinates. Take a government agency; add to it large dollop of self-importance, and you get the idea.If you want a slow-paced, work environment, Whitman may be just the place for you.

Beautiful campus, well maintained by an excellent team of grounds keepers, gardeners. Also, I quite like the students: they are smart, well-groomed and courteous.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Poor management
Great Work Experience for Students
Senior Admissions Intern (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WASeptember 18, 2017
As a current student, Whitman allowed for a fantastic balance of working life and student life. Whitman also provides amazing opportunities for students to develop professional growth which is hard to come by as a full time student.
Friendly and supportive work place
Curriculum & Registration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 21, 2017
While working at Whitman College I had the opportunity to work with students, staff, and faculty on almost a daily basis. My job was fairly cyclical, but this provided stability as well as new challenges, which kept my position from becoming stagnate. It was a friendly environment that supported new ideas, learning, and growth.
Great and welcoming environment
Co-head Researcher (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 12, 2017
I worked at Whitman while attending college there. Although I did not work here full time, the staff treated me as one of their own and were unconditionally kind.
Productive, Educational, and contributes to the future of society through education.
Microbiology Lab intern (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 11, 2017
All around a structured and supportive work environment. Very educational they provide answers to your questions. The work done at this establishment benefits the future of our community.
An excellent place to develop skills
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 8, 2017
Whitman is a great place to expand your skills and work experience. I've worked in the theatre department for the past three years and have incredible experiences and learned more than I ever thought I would. The faculty are excellent and truly care about preparing you to face the post-graduation world.
Good place to work with intelligent and kind staff and faculty
Post Baccalaureate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hall of ScienceApril 17, 2017
I went to Whitman college for my undergraduate degree and was hired on immediately by a chemistry professor, whom I had worked for previously. The transition from student to staff was an easy one, and felt very supported and accounted for by not only the students I had known but all the staff and faculty seemed to make a strong effort for inclusion.
Friendly, Positive Environment
Business Office Annex Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 15, 2017
My time at the business office has been (without exaggeration or hyperbole) an entirely positive experience. The entire team was always looking out for each other, and rooting for one another's success.
Great students and colleagues, little job security
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ETHNOMUSICOLOGY (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 8, 2017
It is not a good time to be looking for a tenure-track position at Whitman College. The current administration is fiscally conservative, so the college is heading toward cutting programs and leaning more heavily on contingent labor.
Supportive workplace with a manageable schedule.
Server for Bon Appetit (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 2, 2017
I work serving students in the dining halls. I arrive before the meal opens to students to eat, then spend 10 minutes setting up the meal, and serve. After serving is over, I help clean the dining hall, and return dishes to their places. I have enjoyed the supportive and helpful environment, both helping others and being encouraged to ask for help.
Pros
Free lunches, easy to manage schedule during classes
Wine Country
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJune 28, 2016
Pleasant place in a pleasant place, which is a rarity these days in academia. Housing is relatively nice and it's not rainy Seattle
Work study student
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 23, 2015
For on-campus employment as a student, Whitman has a great variety of opportunities. Not all are created equal. As a lifeguard for Whitman College, I received adequate training and enjoyed my work. A lifeguard, CPR and first aid certifications were required.

In the chemistry department as a lab assistant, I learned new skills and had a great manager. This job requires some previous education.

I hated my job as a production associate for the yearbook and newpaper, The Pioneer. I was asked to work odd hours, often 10pm-3am, was not consistently paid for my work. I felt that I was often disrespected by the editor and other employees.
Pros
job experience
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage
A busy and complex work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 3, 2014
A typical day at work is a traditional Monday-Friday 8-5 pm of administrative challenges. I provide customer relations, departmental budget tracking and account payable management, prepare and send business documents, scheduling & travel arrangements, VIP transportation as well as other duties as needed.
Enjoyable work space and friendly faces
Baker Ferguson Fitness Center Worker (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAJuly 17, 2013
Working at the Baker Ferguson Fitness Center has been both an enjoyable and teaching experience. One of the most important things that I have learned while working here is that every employees' effort counts towards achieving and maintaining the overall goal that has been set out.
Pros
Interaction with customers
Fast paced part-time job that enhanced organizational skills
Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAOctober 9, 2012
Working backstage taught me to maintain composure in an often chaotic environment. The job required constant focus and rigorous attention to detail. Although the atmosphere was generally loose and fun, it fell on my shoulders to monitor egos and make snap decisions when things inevitably went wrong.
I loved my advisor and research group!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMarch 20, 2012
Working for a professor at Whitman has been a wonderful way to learn more about the scientific process and my advisor has been a fantastic resource for a variety of things from thesis writing to job applications.