Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJuly 28, 2018
Since the minimum pay rate is so low, the amount of work required no way matches. The work load is great and the pay very low.
One thing I can say, I learned quite a bit in the food service industry. I was able to train further for my position and the part I most liked is that I was able to communicate with the student and staff.
Pros
Free healthy lunches
Cons
Not enough time to eat
Productive work place, room for advancement
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 14, 2018
I began as a kitchen lead at the beginning of 2017 Whitsons with the hope of advancement while I continued my online education. In September of 2017 I was approached by my FSD with a promotional opportunity that I have yet to be disappointed with. The promotion came with a much more fair pay, further opportunity for growth, flexible hours and of course a lot of valuable management experience. I now serve as the Chef Manager for our district as I continue to pursue my education and am looking to one day move into an AFSD or FSD position with Whitsons.
There is always something new to learn, the work environment is one of the best I have been in, and there is always an opportunity to be creative which tends to bring in more student involvement. I look forward to my future with the company.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement, Well trained management team, good environment
Cons
union
Convenient hours and paid time off
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTJuly 12, 2018
Whitson's Culinary Group provided me with part time work in a school kitchen allowing me to work around my families schedule. Although the pay was very low they did provide paid time off.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Low pay
good place
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 7, 2018
good place but did not care about employees to much just bottom line used our personal day for snow days off the bat so that if u needed them later you would have unpaid days off
Pros
summers off
Cons
did not care about product
Great Company
Food and Beverage Director (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYJuly 2, 2018
Roll with the punches, and you can make a great career out of Whitsons. Looking for quick satisfaction, and answers to every single question, why are you in food service.
Foods easy to make, very fast paced
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 28, 2018
Spent most of my day prepping food and would almost always have to make more, day to day the amount of kids that would come to your line fluctuates. The food is counted so if you make too much or too little you’ll get bad attention on you.
Pros
1 free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Competitive Place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 24, 2018
My day is generally repetitive. There is no change or challenge in my current position and no opportunity for advancement. I have an Associates Degree in Foodservice Management but that's not enough for advancement. I have been doing this work for 15 years in various districts so there isn't anything new that I have learned. The most enjoyable part of this job are the children. I just enjoy working around them, they sometimes make my day.
Pros
I am my own boss at this job. I don't have anyone overlooking my every move
Cons
Salary
I can't account for any other accounts other than the one I worked in
Lead Catering Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mahwah, NJJune 22, 2018
The account I worked was it was a cafeteria in a company building / Factory. A little over a year I left the job the coordinators for the company dropped whitsons culinary group and hired a new company because of their constant negligence and unprofessionalism.
Pros
Free lunch, gaurenteed full time, and weekly pay by
Workplace Culture
HEAD COOK (Current Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYMay 21, 2018
The children make the job very fun. There are days that are bad but that with every job. This job is best for anyone with children who are in school or are retired but it's a great job.
Teamwork
Lead Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYMay 19, 2018
This company doesn’t pay that well but the atmosphere is great. If you need help they are there. If there’s a tragedy in your family they are there. They are team member friendly company . If they would pay better they’d be the best overall!
VEry interesteing place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYApril 12, 2018
Fun with the kids, prep, cook, wash dishes, working independent or a team, parties, needed more communication skills, stressful place, mainly a good job for those who can work as a team
Lots of freedom
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 9, 2018
Management don't have management skills. Under staff most of the time. Stressful at times and management don't provide efficient training. Company had poor strategic planning and would roll many programs out at the last minute. They paid lower level workers minimum which made it hard to attract adequate staffing. District Manager managed in a fear based style and was always paranoid about what the client was thinking. Never given adequate staffing (No kitchen lead) to achieve both company and school's objectives.
Worst place to work!
Cook (Former Employee) –  East Islip, NYApril 5, 2018
They hired me knowing I had no experience. Said that they would train me and be patient. I was trained for literally 2 days. Then I was left on my own to figure things out. I passed inspection with 0 violations! They still got annoyed over the littlest of things. The woman I worked with was horrible! They have gone through four Cook's including myself since October!
Pros
Cons
Everything.
N/a
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Longmeadow, MAMarch 19, 2018
The hardest part of this job is dealing with the kids there. They would just throw their lunch trays at you and walk off like you are nothing. the routine is not bad through. You prep food for the kids and stick it in the oven and then serve to the middle school
Family first
FOOD SERVICE DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYFebruary 22, 2018
With Whitsons they understand that you have a family. That is very nice. they say family comes first. Whitsons is a great company to work for. what else can I say?
Pros
Nice work enviorment
Cons
non that I can think of.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTFebruary 19, 2018
Whitsons group is a good job for a working mother, most of there hours match your kids school schedule. Being whitsons is part of the school system. The pay is reasonable for part time work .
Be ready to engage
Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 10, 2017
Everyday brought a new challenge. You have to be ready to engage the day with a new mindset. Union benefits as a team member (non manager position) free lunch.
Pros
Free lunch
Horrible managment
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NJNovember 21, 2017
Managers are very rude and unprofessional. NASTY attitudes from management and supervisors. Using profanity in work areas around children. Should be investigated soon. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company.
Pretty-Good
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTOctober 29, 2017
Schedules are great if you have children. working alone can be great but also can be crazy. No one to help unless you ask early in day for help. The best was the children.
Pros
free lunch short shifts
Cons
no breaks can be stressful
Nice people. Good company
I.T. Customer Service Desk Manger (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYOctober 9, 2017
Growing pains have proven costly to some. Job was great, but with small businesses, the loss of one big contract can have a major impact. Causing budget cuts.
Pros
Free lunch. Flexible hours.
Cons
Pricey healthcare