Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews

Na
Executive Chef/Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 18, 2018
• Primary Client Liaison/Develop Partnership with School Board and Community
• Manage Central Production Facility for satellite meal programs.
• Maintain lines of communication between Food Services and the Board of Education, administration, students, and community.
• Provide point of service, training, HACCP, catering program, Recipes, labor control and inventory management
• Prepares monthly Food service update that includes a financial report and program highlights.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great place
Server and Kitchen staff (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 10, 2018
Whitsons Culinary Group is a great place to work. The hours are great as well as the people. It can be a fast paced job and laziness doesn’t work. You have to be able to lift and make sure you know how to be aware of your surroundings.
Pros
Hours are great
Cons
Not a lot of hours are given and too many holidays
Free lunch every day and great holiday parties.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYNovember 18, 2018
Great people,everybody cares about each other,family attitude. Very strict work environment on the production floor,especially the dress code and personal hygiene.Management was very co-operative.
Pros
Free lunches and great holiday parties.
Cons
One break
can be fun environment but very fast ase work place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, NYSeptember 27, 2018
it is a fast pace work day. can be a fun environment depending on the people you work with. you learn proper food temperatures and how long food can be left out of the refrigerator. some heavy lifting bending. some cleaning is required for work areas.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
Fun work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJuly 28, 2018
Since the minimum pay rate is so low, the amount of work required no way matches. The work load is great and the pay very low.
One thing I can say, I learned quite a bit in the food service industry. I was able to train further for my position and the part I most liked is that I was able to communicate with the student and staff.
Pros
Free healthy lunches
Cons
Not enough time to eat
Competitive Place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJune 24, 2018
My day is generally repetitive. There is no change or challenge in my current position and no opportunity for advancement. I have an Associates Degree in Foodservice Management but that's not enough for advancement. I have been doing this work for 15 years in various districts so there isn't anything new that I have learned. The most enjoyable part of this job are the children. I just enjoy working around them, they sometimes make my day.
Pros
I am my own boss at this job. I don't have anyone overlooking my every move
Cons
Salary
I can't account for any other accounts other than the one I worked in
Lead Catering Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mahwah, NJJune 22, 2018
The account I worked was it was a cafeteria in a company building / Factory. A little over a year I left the job the coordinators for the company dropped whitsons culinary group and hired a new company because of their constant negligence and unprofessionalism.
Pros
Free lunch, gaurenteed full time, and weekly pay by
Productive work place, room for advancement
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 14, 2018
I began as a kitchen lead at the beginning of 2017 Whitsons with the hope of advancement while I continued my online education. In September of 2017 I was approached by my FSD with a promotional opportunity that I have yet to be disappointed with. The promotion came with a much more fair pay, further opportunity for growth, flexible hours and of course a lot of valuable management experience. I now serve as the Chef Manager for our district as I continue to pursue my education and am looking to one day move into an AFSD or FSD position with Whitsons.
There is always something new to learn, the work environment is one of the best I have been in, and there is always an opportunity to be creative which tends to bring in more student involvement. I look forward to my future with the company.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement, Well trained management team, good environment
Cons
union
Foods easy to make, very fast paced
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 28, 2018
Spent most of my day prepping food and would almost always have to make more, day to day the amount of kids that would come to your line fluctuates. The food is counted so if you make too much or too little you’ll get bad attention on you.
Pros
1 free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
food service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NY 11563December 14, 2018
school lunch program. always pressured to have higher lunch counts. always asked to do what not qualified for like cooking if cook was absent. always filling in.
Convenient hours and paid time off
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTJuly 12, 2018
Whitson's Culinary Group provided me with part time work in a school kitchen allowing me to work around my families schedule. Although the pay was very low they did provide paid time off.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Low pay
ghfgjghk
Facility Technician (M&E) (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NY 11749September 12, 2018
They loose business that's why most of employee got lay-off.they provide free meal which is the good approach but their management is sucks. They should look for more buissness
Lots of freedom
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 9, 2018
Management don't have management skills. Under staff most of the time. Stressful at times and management don't provide efficient training. Company had poor strategic planning and would roll many programs out at the last minute. They paid lower level workers minimum which made it hard to attract adequate staffing. District Manager managed in a fear based style and was always paranoid about what the client was thinking. Never given adequate staffing (No kitchen lead) to achieve both company and school's objectives.
good place
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 7, 2018
good place but did not care about employees to much just bottom line used our personal day for snow days off the bat so that if u needed them later you would have unpaid days off
Pros
summers off
Cons
did not care about product
good for parents with children
Lunch Lady (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTSeptember 6, 2018
good for parents with kids, you have same days off as kids so no having to find a sitter, friendly people to work with, fast paced so no standing around
Worst place to work!
Cook (Former Employee) –  East Islip, NYApril 5, 2018
They hired me knowing I had no experience. Said that they would train me and be patient. I was trained for literally 2 days. Then I was left on my own to figure things out. I passed inspection with 0 violations! They still got annoyed over the littlest of things. The woman I worked with was horrible! They have gone through four Cook's including myself since October!
Pros
Cons
Everything.
Walking
Lunch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 13, 2018
Great place to work the people are great also. The environment is so positive.i get to meet some great,smart students everyday.........…..............
Great Company
Food and Beverage Director (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYJuly 2, 2018
Roll with the punches, and you can make a great career out of Whitsons. Looking for quick satisfaction, and answers to every single question, why are you in food service.
Teamwork
Lead Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYMay 19, 2018
This company doesn’t pay that well but the atmosphere is great. If you need help they are there. If there’s a tragedy in your family they are there. They are team member friendly company . If they would pay better they’d be the best overall!
Workplace Culture
HEAD COOK (Current Employee) –  Valley Stream, NYMay 21, 2018
The children make the job very fun. There are days that are bad but that with every job. This job is best for anyone with children who are in school or are retired but it's a great job.