Whitsons Culinary Group Employee Reviews

Worst job i ever had
Cook (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYMarch 12, 2019
Management is disorganized and down right rude...i was there as a cook for approximately 4 1/2 years...smh...if you did something right the bosses did eveything they could to find something wrong...the disrespect was real...i wouldnt wish this job on my worste enemy...and dont get me started on the insurance...if you descide to toss this warning aside and work there anyway...do NOT getthe insurance...you will end up working for free...you wont even have enough money left in you check to pay the high co payments and the fact that they still charge you for the insurance after you cancell it
Pros
Holidays and weekends off
Cons
Everything else
A Family Owned Business
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYMarch 11, 2019
Whitsons is owned and operated by eight siblings. The majority of professional jobs are populated by family members. This is not a place to expect recognition. If a family member needs a job, they may be given yours.
Terrible company
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 4, 2019
Only best thing about this company is the fact the schedule is Monday through Friday weekends off. Summer off. No paid holidays , not enough PTO. To much hard labor for little pay. No benefits. Bad management. Alot of favoritism at the New Haven campus.
Pros
Free lunch, steady schedule, weekends off
Cons
Bad management, no help, to much work.
Ask me in person
Assistant Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Mahwah, NJJanuary 31, 2019
Ask me in person. After 10 years working there, I had very limited exposure to the CEO. Upper management had very little systems in place for Management development or an escalation process.
Terrible
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, NYJanuary 8, 2019
The job is very fast paced non stop heavy lifting,very low pay, working with miserable staff worker who is rude to the kids and on top of that the kids are scare of her and everyone knows she's like that and no one says anything
Pros
Hours
Cons
Low pay, staff attitudes
Work Experience
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 8, 2019
Horrible experience working with the manager. No benefits provided, no job security or advancement provided, and management provided no leadership or support.
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenixville, PAJanuary 3, 2019
Well structured family first company. Good pay and benefits. Great support. Easy to communicate with corporate office. Financial systems are easy to use.
Pros
Great management
Cons
staffing
food service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NY 11563December 14, 2018
school lunch program. always pressured to have higher lunch counts. always asked to do what not qualified for like cooking if cook was absent. always filling in.
Free lunch every day and great holiday parties.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYNovember 18, 2018
Great people,everybody cares about each other,family attitude. Very strict work environment on the production floor,especially the dress code and personal hygiene.Management was very co-operative.
Pros
Free lunches and great holiday parties.
Cons
One break
Walking
Lunch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 13, 2018
Great place to work the people are great also. The environment is so positive.i get to meet some great,smart students everyday.........…..............
Great place
Server and Kitchen staff (Current Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 10, 2018
Whitsons Culinary Group is a great place to work. The hours are great as well as the people. It can be a fast paced job and laziness doesn’t work. You have to be able to lift and make sure you know how to be aware of your surroundings.
Pros
Hours are great
Cons
Not a lot of hours are given and too many holidays
can be fun environment but very fast ase work place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Brookhaven, NYSeptember 27, 2018
it is a fast pace work day. can be a fun environment depending on the people you work with. you learn proper food temperatures and how long food can be left out of the refrigerator. some heavy lifting bending. some cleaning is required for work areas.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
ghfgjghk
Facility Technician (M&E) (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NY 11749September 12, 2018
They loose business that's why most of employee got lay-off.they provide free meal which is the good approach but their management is sucks. They should look for more buissness
good for parents with children
Lunch Lady (Former Employee) –  East Haven, CTSeptember 6, 2018
good for parents with kids, you have same days off as kids so no having to find a sitter, friendly people to work with, fast paced so no standing around
productive fun workplace
Food service manger (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 5, 2018
Overall fun easy going work place would recommend job to anyone learned alot over the years within the company only looking for new employment because not reciving enough work hours in a pay period
Pros
friendly
Cons
poor health benifits
Na
Executive Chef/Food Service Director (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 18, 2018
• Primary Client Liaison/Develop Partnership with School Board and Community
• Manage Central Production Facility for satellite meal programs.
• Maintain lines of communication between Food Services and the Board of Education, administration, students, and community.
• Provide point of service, training, HACCP, catering program, Recipes, labor control and inventory management
• Prepares monthly Food service update that includes a financial report and program highlights.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Very motivated company
Food Service Director/Location Manager (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYAugust 13, 2018
Well organized company, very pro-training. Left to leave the area. They are not located anywhere near where I am now. I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn the food service industry.
N/a
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 30, 2018
I thought working at Whitson was not so great. the company needs to check on their management. and the food isn't that great sorry but im honest.********************************
Fun work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Islandia, NYJuly 28, 2018
Since the minimum pay rate is so low, the amount of work required no way matches. The work load is great and the pay very low.
One thing I can say, I learned quite a bit in the food service industry. I was able to train further for my position and the part I most liked is that I was able to communicate with the student and staff.
Pros
Free healthy lunches
Cons
Not enough time to eat
Productive work place, room for advancement
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJuly 14, 2018
I began as a kitchen lead at the beginning of 2017 Whitsons with the hope of advancement while I continued my online education. In September of 2017 I was approached by my FSD with a promotional opportunity that I have yet to be disappointed with. The promotion came with a much more fair pay, further opportunity for growth, flexible hours and of course a lot of valuable management experience. I now serve as the Chef Manager for our district as I continue to pursue my education and am looking to one day move into an AFSD or FSD position with Whitsons.
There is always something new to learn, the work environment is one of the best I have been in, and there is always an opportunity to be creative which tends to bring in more student involvement. I look forward to my future with the company.
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement, Well trained management team, good environment
Cons
union