Whittier Street Health Center Employee Reviews

Bad
PATIENT BILLING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2019
Department i was in was boring was not allowed to used phone only if it was Emergency call. Always had to be in professional cloths with shoes if you went you got send home. Cant talk at all only if it was work related question. Slow work, paid was not worth it and there was no opportunity to grow, no raise or overtime paid. They sometimes made you feel like if you were stupid and they were always right.
best place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 30, 2018
WSHC is one of the best health center I ever work for. I feel a sense of belonging because of the people that I work with. I also like to work there because I can grow and dream big.
I feel fulfilled each day helping the minority populations.
Director of Infectious Disease S P. (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 26, 2018
Whittier Street Health Center just like many other centers has fully integrated its HIV services into primary care to avoid discrimination. This was the result of the National HRSA 2014 Partnership for Care (P4C) pilot program of which WSHC was lucky to be a part of. We also have Infectious Disease specialists for both HIV and Hepatitis C who see and treat complex cases. There is also regular clinical supervision and provider meetings. The Infectious Disease and Special Populations (IDSP) Department conducts regular training at WSHC for providers and the general staff on a regular basis. Whittier also has a strong support staff capacity and can boast of having one of the best Community Outreach staff members in Boston. We have High-Risk Medical Case Managers, High-Risk Nurses, Medical Case Managers, and Peer Support staffs as well. We also have a lot of support staffs from the community that are called Whittier Ambassadors. All these support staff members make sure that providers have the necessary assistance in doing their work by focusing on some of the psychosocial issues that are affecting our clients.
Pros
Excellent place to work. There is always training going on, and community events.
Cons
People with the wrong intentions do not stay.
WSHC is a great place to work at but the management had to be improved
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 19, 2018
my feeling after leaving Whittier street health center is bad. I left after being harassed and the HR Director did nothing against it. Instead he was ignorant to the point I ended up leaving my position rather then my life there.
Pros
training, learning.
Cons
management
November 28, 2018

Thank you for your comment and feedback. While all positive and negative reviews are taken seriously and appreciated, the allegation that the HR Director knowingly allowed an employee to feel harassed and unwelcome is erroneous and unsubstantiated.

Whittier prides itself on ensuring that its workplace is free of harassment and that all employees are treated with respect.

I can tell you that if such an incident occurred, the appropriate action was taken to ensure that such conduct does not repeat itself.

Thank you again for sharing your opinion of your experience at Whittier. HR stand committed to representing all employees in a manner that is conducive to Whittier’s mission and providing exemplary service to most vulnerable individuals and communities whom we have the pleasure to serve.

HR Director

fun place to work
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MANovember 13, 2018
i learned a lot, some people are fun to work with some will work in team, and some won't. They will help you if you need help.Some times it gets crazy, but when it calms down everything is fine
Whittier-Street-Health-Center/Write-review
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MASeptember 23, 2018
happy to work together with all my co-worker; It will not be happy until I am finished working
I have to move on to a better work and I was going to College to understand Medical Language.
encounter forms
Medical Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2018
this was my externship and I loved every minute I worked for them even though I wasn't getting paid. I would come in and there was a stack of papers at that time and I would go on the computer and go into the billing site we had and enter the codes to be billed to their insurance company. when we where done we filed the papers. they were moving to a new building so we had to box up all the papers. they started using the new computer encounter forms so all the billing was now on the computer and if I had time left on my externship I would have learned it. I learned so much from whitter center they showed me what a office job was like.. all the coworker helped each other and they made you feel comfortable there..
the hardest part was leaving without learning more , I new they would taught me so much more . I would never forget what they taught me and friendly and helpful they were.
Poor Management
Representative/Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 12, 2018
If you enjoyed high school and don't mind a bunch of Surley co workers, then Whittier street health center is the place for you . Human Resources has no say in employee relations and will DEFINETLY NOT help you if you ever have an issue with your supervisor. You have no support from Management staff unless your a Kiss up.
Pros
T accessable lots of great programs for the community
Cons
Being an employee at Whittier street health center
Customer Service
Managed Care Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 9, 2018
Pleasant job, except the pay and benefits. They don't give raises lately and the amount of pay does not help my cost of living and my family. I would like to get a job that i am comfortable in but also get paid a decent amount to support my family and myself
Very Stressful enviorment
Managed Care / Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJune 15, 2018
Management was cruel and unfair.
Was told by several employees that I would encounter difficulties? The hardest part of the job was not knowing whether I'd have a job the next day or not. The managers and CEO was very rude and disrespectful towards the hard working employees. The most enjoyable part was getting to meet some really nice people. (regular employees.
Proud to work in a Community Health Center that serves Roxbury & Dorchester
Dental Hygentist (Current Employee) –  Dental departmentJune 1, 2018
The Doctors and Nurses at Whittier are scheduling to have a vote to determine if they want to be Unionized. I understand a lot of their issues but disagree with there approach. The current HR Director is the best Director the health center has had and is very open and supportive of staff. I wish everyone well because I am afraid all of these distractions will affect the service provided to the patients of Whittier.
Pros
Serving disadvantage patients. Great HR dept, Ana is awesome! Dental Director is fair and transparent.
Cons
President/CEO is often unapproachable. No merit increases in 2018
Working at WSHC
Patient Care Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MAApril 24, 2018
Great opportunity to gain experience and prosper from. I enjoy helping others and enjoy the diversity of the WSHC community. But the management is terrible in all honesty.
Pros
Medical experience
Cons
Poor management
April 27, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. As identified as a “current employee” we hoped you shared your opinions in the anonymous employee satisfaction survey. Additionally, we have a number of vibrant committees and protocols for employees to share their feedback, i.e. open door and regular supervision. Nonetheless, we appreciate your passion with helping the individuals and families that have chosen Whittier as their health center of choice.

The job was nothing promised
Management (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2018
Great mission. Wonderful, caring, dedicated colleagues. It doesn't matter. The CEO/President is a nightmare and she will make your life one too. Random criticism, ridiculous expectations, ill-informed dictates. You should avoid the pain. BTW there are Development and HR staff tasked with posting things that water down real reviews.
Pros
Great mission, great staff, wonderful patients.
Cons
Terrible leadership.
February 23, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback regardless of its substances is taking seriously and considered for its sincere objective. WSHC agrees that the work our dedicated and quality employees perform every day is difficult and challenging but rewarding. And at the end of every day it’s satisfying to know that we are offering top notch health care to the individuals and families that we are fortunate to serve.

Warning Firings and hostile CEO!
Physician. (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAOctober 29, 2017
This place s like waking on egg shells. CEO is an incompetent tyrant, so much nepotism her son is a Director there and in my opinion shouldn’t be, the stress level and no work life balance is horrific. People just leave and you can’t help them out.
Pros
Onsite parking but be careful of your car getting hit
Cons
Place is a disaster!
November 7, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. At Whittier Street Health Center we strive to provide our employees with room to grow and improve themselves. The work is hard, but it is rewarding. Recently, our employee morale was at a considerable height, owing much to management's attention to its workers, as well as the rewarding feeling one gets helping out in the community where we reside. Our staff work hard and are deeply committed to our patients, community and organization.

We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns you may have with any department at Whittier. Kindly call Ms. Halima Mohamed, Director of Operations at 617 989 3232, and she would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your needs.

The exceptional team at the Whittier Street Health Center

Heard complaints but always make a point to make up my own mind
Lead Dental Assistant/Head of Infection Control (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAOctober 7, 2017
Worked their for 1.5 years no disiplinary actions no issue with anyone and was fired without warning or an explanation of why. I enjoyed working there it was very stressful but I loved my patients and staff. I stayed away from the politics of the job and focused on my tasks. I do miss my former coworkers but greatful I am not here. Like I said I heard a lot of things about this place but always made it a point not to judge on someone elses esperience.
Pros
great for the community
Cons
awful management
November 7, 2017

Thank you for your comment; only through stark, honest reviews and feedback can we hope to improve our operations and system. We are sorry to hear of your negative experience with Whittier Street Health Center.

Worst place I ever worked
NP (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAAugust 22, 2017
I highly recommend AGAINST working here. I was here for 3 years and regret every moment I stayed, hoping for improvement. The CEO has no clinical background and does not know how to treat employees. An extremely unprofessional environment. Not interested in employee retention.
Pros
can feel helpful to patient population
Cons
poor management that makes life miserable
November 7, 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear of your negative experience at Whittier Street Health Center. Staff morale is noticeably high at present, and management has made strides in succinct direction and communication and have kept the lines of communication open for ongoing feedback.

We hire the best qualified individuals for the job and work to retain them and keep the staff happy. As mentioned, morale has risen to considerable levels.

If you have an issue you would like to address in more detail, we invite you to contact Ms. Halima Mohamed, Director of Operations at 617 989 3232, and she would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your needs.

Terrible management
Human Resouces Director (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAAugust 18, 2017
Very poor management and practices
Poor and unfair treatment of employees
Work loads everywhere are extremely excessive
Poor recognition to employees
High turnover consistently
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Very poor management
November 7, 2017

We are sorry to hear of your negative experience with Whittier Street Health Center. We strive to keep our employees happy, as we recognize that a happy staff is essential to carrying out our mission and aiding our patients. Worker morale is notably high at present and management communicates openly about ways to improve.

Community friendly
Medical Assistant/Family Planning Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAMarch 12, 2017
This health center cares about their patients but not so much about their employees. Compensation is not adequate for all the work that is required even after being a long term employee.
November 7, 2017

Thank you for your comment. Morale at Whittier Street Health Center is notably high. Here at Whittier, we believe that we can only conduct our services to the proper degree if our employees are satisfied with their work. It is a formula that we believe pays off.

We are sorry to hear of your negative experience. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns you may have. Kindly call Ms. Halima Mohamed, Director of Operations at 617 989 3232, and she would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your needs.

CEO is a tyrant
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2017
I was super excited when I accepted my position at Whittier St. I quickly learned it was a mistake to work here. The CEO is an absolute tyrant and everyone walks on eggs shells wondering who she'll attack next. She shows favoritism and is very unprofessional. I loved my staff and was very upset to give my notice. One of my staff members actually cried when I told him I was leaving. He felt I had run interference between his department and the CEO. The Board has no idea how bad she treats her direct reports.
Pros
Great line staff
Cons
Ceo
November 7, 2017

Whittier Street Health Center is committed to providing high quality care and patient satisfaction. We appreciate receiving constructive feedback that will enable us to improve our operations and system. Our staff work hard and are deeply committed to our patients, community and organization. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns you may have with Whittier. Kindly call Ms. Halima Mohamed, Director of Operations at 617 989 3232 and she would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your needs.

wonderful community
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2016
I love my community and people i work with and for. Management however at this place need serious series of training. Theres a major cultural difference and most ppl in managemnet dont respect it. Theyre very sexiest. Its the CEO's show and she doesnt want any feedback unless youre giving her credit. I will say she will give you a chance and great opportunity. Use it for whats it worth and keep it moving. This place is just for that, use it as a stepping stone not some where thats long term. The stress alone will kill you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whittier Street Health Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Whittier Street Health Center Reviews by Location