Whole Foods Market Employee Reviews

Found 7,293 reviews matching the search See all 7,586 reviews
Challenging corporate environment with opportunities for advancement
Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 15, 2018
The company promotes from within, so employees begin at part-time, entry level positions, then work independently to move up. The customers and managers challenge employees on a daily basis, which helps employees grow. Management positions offer a lot of variety in a fast-paced environment. Store management style varies by location and changes as store managers look for career advancement. The hardest part of the job is the lack of control you have over your resources as a team manager, because labor budgets and corrective action standards are created at the Regional level. The most enjoyable part of the job are the employees, who come from diverse backgrounds.
Pros
Challenges, opportunities to advance, variety
Cons
no work/life balance, high turnover, poor healthcare benefits
its not worth your sanity.
worker (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, CTSeptember 26, 2018
you get hired.
you go to a meeting where you are highly praised and "appreciated". (This continues for a couple months..)
you work your a-- off for a couple years.
you have close to perfect attendance.
you realize everything they said to you was a huge lie.
you realize the amount of favoritism and politics is -insane-.
your TL/GM doesn't like you because you try to speak up when something is wrong. (apparently you're not allowed to say whats right in that place..?)
you end up getting fired for something entirely ridiculous. (maybe because they wanted you out but for what?)

the people that still work there are slaves to that place and i feel horrible for them. i wish them the best of luck.
Pros
made great friendships, learned a skill, room for advancement
Cons
poor management skills, favoritism, politics
Bring your whole self to work
Co-Chair Oakland Steering Committee (Former Employee) –  Whole Foods Market - MSO NorCalDecember 5, 2018
If there is one thing that is true about Whole Foods Market, is that you can come to work and be yourself. The company culture supports team member happiness, with a strong focus on customer service. There are opportunities for advancement if you are willing to commit to your own growth and development. There is a lot of autonomy in how the work gets done. The hardest part of the job, like any retail job, is when you are short staffed. This leads to long hours by department leaders and you can easily burn out. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, both team members, leadership and customers. I was constantly learning and meeting new faces, which I enjoyed tremendously.
Pros
Employee Discount, Health Savings Account, Training
Cons
Labor constraints, inconsistent accountability, hiring practices
Typical grocery retail job but culture is way more fun- young crowd
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 26, 2018
Overall it was a very fun place to work with a great work culture. Of course, it's Customer Service with all that comes with that- not all customers are nice and it's demanding but for the most part, I liked my customers- be prepared for a million "whole paycheck" jokes.

There are awesome career growth opportunities if you have a good work ethic and while I was there (before being bought by Amazon), they gave merit raises.
Pros
Store discount, career advancement
Cons
Inconsistent management
Co-workers were amazing. But the job...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, NYJanuary 1, 2019
I absolutely loved working at Whole Foods for quite a while. I shopped there regularly so i took advantage of the discounts, my coworkers were my friends, and I thought I'd be there for years to come. The longer I spent there, though, the more i realized that wouldn't really be the best. My schedule was ridiculous. Though I only worked 55-60 hours every two weeks, my schedule was never consistent. I had to change my availability in order to not be scheduled for a morning shift after closing a day prior, and so i wouldn't get scheduled 6-7 days in a row. Cashiers seemed to go in and out regularly. People regularly quit or got fired. Grocery was always understaffed and cashiers often had to fill in at my store. Breaks were unnecessarily short, i often only got about 9 minutes. I ended up quitting after 9 months, as one of the cashiers who was there the longest.
Pros
Benefits, Discounts, Pto
Cons
Poor Management, Awful customers, bad hours
A wonderful community environment, but very inefficient management governed by politics and favoritism.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rocky River, OHNovember 10, 2018
Whole foods market was a great place to work for the people. In general the community feel and generally lax environment was enjoyable. However, management at every level, especially the higher management, was extremely inept at leading and governing. They would play politics and blatant favoritism daily, had a HUGE issue with communicating openly and honestly about simple tasks or issues, and were very two-faced. I loved my time working there for the people and the community, but I would never return.
Pros
Benefits, decent pay, good discount, community.
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, lack of care for employee well-being, unnecessarily stressful.
Great people and environment, every store is so different
Store Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2018
I worked at Whole Foods Market for over 7 years, and had the opportunity to move across the country through them. Over all it was a wonderful career, I made a lot of great friends and there is a very strong culture. You meet a lot of personalities, it can be really stressful, busy, fun, amazing, good and bad management at times, no one is perfect, but I always believed in the company and the products. I loved the environment and my great co-workers the most. The benefits are fantastic, though the pay could be better for certain positions, especially living in cities where cost of living just gets higher all the time. I would recommend anyone work here, and I would have probably stayed longer had I seen myself advancing more there, however, tons of people who work there have been with the company over 10 years. It's the kind of company that has seen a lot of change and rapid growth, sometimes for good and not so good but, I learned and grew a lot and will always appreciate the company.
Pros
great benefits, co-workers, environment
Cons
retail is stressful, management is hit or miss
Really enjoyed working for Whole Foods Market. The job culture was one of the best throughout my experience and coworkers were hard working, friendly.
Waitress/runner (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 25, 2018
Day to day work was typically fast paced and it kept you busy for the majority of your shift. I learned a lot about company standards since it was really important for many of our customers. The management was hard working and typically reliable. Whole Foods Market promotes from within so there is a lot of room for advancement. I wouldn't say there was anything hard about working at Whole Foods but they tried to challenge you to improve and move up within the company, working at WFM I never felt stagnant because I knew there would be many possibilities to move up. The thing that I most enjoyed about the company were the people I worked alongside of, you definitely become a little family and I knew I could rely on my coworkers to work hard and help each other.
good pay but are too strict on sick days and policy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNOctober 2, 2018
I worked at whole foods for almost a year and a half most of the customers were great I received a lot of awards and the raises are pretty fair,, however this store does play favorites( certain people get in trouble for things and others get off scotch free) there is also ALOT of drama there and he said she said stories but the co workers made work fun there. you are only allowed one point per month- you will get a point if you are sick or more than 30 min late to work and a half point if you are more than 7 minutes late & only allowed two doctors notes a year. overall I had a good experience working there but I do not whatsoever agree with some of their management or policies.
Pros
20% discount on all items, friendly co workers, nice customers, fair pay
Cons
Drama, favoritism, point system is unrealistic
Schedule & raise
Grocery Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
When you work at wholefoods you don't get a fixed schedule unless you are going to school. Hours & days changes practically every week. You' re entitled to a raise every year but it's 40 to 60 cents. Also whenever their is a pay raise company wise, if you already making over that amount proposed you won't get a penny. For example, when I got hired 4 yrs ago, I started with $11.5 since then there been 2 pay raises: $12.50 & $15 next month ( Nov 2018). I wont get anything cuz now I am getting $15.50 as a buyer/supervisor. So I will get pretty much as much as our future new hires even though I am considered a lower level management with 4 years experience at the company.
Pros
lot of opportunities to move up if you are serious about the job.
Cons
Schedule changes every week

Want to know more about Whole Foods Market?

Ask a question
Great co-workers but poor management
Prepared Foods Team Member (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WANovember 3, 2018
Specifically at my store, I can't speak for others, there was a severe lack of staff in my department for my shift, the closing shift.
My favorite part of the job was definitely my co-workers, they were very friendly, some of them still being close friends of mine.

The issue mostly was the management, they seemed incoherent to our problems as a department and very hard to communicate with, almost seeming like a brick wall that never listened to any of us or our problems with the state of our department.

A typical day was very stressful, being majorly understaffed on a daily basis and with such a busy store like our whole foods, it was taxing mentally and physically on everyone there.
I can speak for multiple people working there, we all developed mental strain from this job, some people even having mental breakdowns on a semi-regular basis.
Pros
Great co-workers, great benefits, great job security
Cons
Poor management, lack of communication with store leaders, terribly understaffed
A Job with a little bit of everything
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 18, 2018
Quartley meetings where you can win good prizes (Flat screens, bluetooth speakers, ect).

10% discount

The opportunity to accrue PTO, retirement, ect the more hours that are worked.

Meeting and working with unique vendors, trying new products

The chance to work at other WF locations in the event of a death, new store opening or special circumstance

Free Tshirts and free food during WF hot plate specials
Pros
Discounts, The best benefits around, free food/t shirts, free parking at the store even on off days, and the chance to learn new things while networking
Cons
Raises are very small, You have to pay for your travel and hotel if you decide to help open another WF store, Management is cliquey, Was told to transfer to multiple stores for the opportunity to move up
Fun at first until you see what is really going on.
Prepared Foods Team Member (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 19, 2019
Began as a fun job and I did great. They have something called 'gain sharing' and I felt the managers did everything they could to keep their numbers looking good at the expense of the workers by doing everything they can not give a raise. Turn over is high. In the end I felt pigeon holed into the job and unable to move to a different department or progress forward. The culture there is radically politically correct. Many times I didn't have the ingredients or space to do my job. Very frustrating.
Pros
Discount
Cons
It isn't what it seems.
Great Starter into Grocery Business
Bakery ATL (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 19, 2018
Whole Foods is an excellent place to learn the grocery business. They offer advancement opportunities on a regular basis and give reviews every 3 months that include potential raises.
This is a hands on company where you work hard and are rewarded. Whole Foods creates a fun atmosphere for every crew member. The benefits are amazing.
This company really strives to make each department accountable as if each department is a separate business. There is potential to learn a lot here.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Micro management
The "new" customer base- WFM own employees.
Prepared Foods Team Member (Former Employee) –  Kahala, HIOctober 27, 2018
Whole Foods Market ("WFM") prides itself on a specialty blend of services and products to its discerning and nouveau rich and somewhat affluent customer base. However, "Team Members" (as they are so amply titled) are treated as a by-product, as the need for premium goods raises in our society. Now that the company has merged with Amazon it seeks to become ultra-modern, fresh and on the cutting edge of technology. However, I feel that it lacks a traditional sense of camaraderie and has priced its own workers out of feeling satisfied in the workforce. While a grocery store component can seem quite the common work environment, WFM seemingly wants it team members to be its new customer base. I find it to be conflicting and pressuring when coming to work. I am not a convenience...I am a human being.
Pros
incentives for safe work days, opens early, wide selection of products, lots of management
Cons
cranky co-workers, particular customers, management doesn't represent co-workers well, Team member lunch (with discount) is expensive/ day. ($$)
Big changes have come to Whole Foods
Team Member (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 17, 2018
This review would have been completely different 5 years ago.

Like most other large companies WF has changed with the times: a couple of big layoffs about 3 years apart, cut the workforce tremendously but hire more and more executives.

Team member happiness use to be a big priority; that has been pushed aside for advancements in electronics/systems.

The pressure is on: cut down on the employees, but the ones that are left are expected to be positive, give the same customer service as in the past, be innovative, sell sell sell (do much more with a lot less, just like everywhere else.)
Pros
Access to great choices when shopping; awesome people who work there
Cons
The WF Culture is gone
Change is a good thing...
Product Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2018
Whole Foods Market has been the best place I have ever worked, however all good things must come to an end and recent changes in the culture, philosophy and overall goals have inspired me to make personal changes in my career.

There has not been "typical" work day in the past couple years as a product coordinator, it has become chasing the tail and changing focus to whatever the next VP, EC or Amazon person thinks is important that week. It has become difficult to successfully launch a sustainable program or product because the rush to get results doesn't allow for development, study of analytics and training for teams.

Culture was my favorite part, the relationships and camaraderie with the teams has built lifelong friendships and family...but that too has seen a significant shift and is discouraged as of late.

Management once was Leadership, it lifted you up and helped you to become a better contributor to the company. The shift lately has become more of a focus on self preservation and promotion at any cost.
Pros
benefits including discounts and healthcare, salary
Very political and low raises
Line/Prep/Banquet Cook, Charcuterie Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 26, 2018
Management is in cliques. You can work there 2-3 years and do a great job and maybe get a 1$ and some change as a raise. They don’t raise their bottom line for veteran employees. When they started people at 12$/hr if they started you at 10 or 11 the 30 cent raises you worked for mean nothing. It’s good experience if you’re young and need a decent job with overpriced benefits that don’t really cover you, but if you’re an adult with real bills you can expect to get a second job or find a better one.
Comfortable workplace with some disadvantages
Store Driver/Overnight Receiver (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2018
Overall productive company, although some leadership and department managers may not be qualified or not even meeting minimum standards for position they fill.

I personally transferred to a Dept, that was ran by a manager that was best friends with a Co worker wife, me and him became great friends, they had a falling out.

And she began to give us both false work evaluations, denied us promotions and even retaliated with discipline for attendance infractions while ignoring any misdoings of other workers.

That still dosent make wholefoods a bad company, every company is guilty of having some form of poor leadership.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, stocks
Cons
Unprofessional Leadership, favoritism, bias selecting upon promotions
Store Vs. Corporate
[title removed] (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 15, 2019
The culture of the company is fantastic. My time spent at Regional offices were pleasurable. When you trickle down to the store level however, I found that local management teams were overrun with soap opera level drama. Store Team Leaders tend to run their locations like a mini-kingdom. They are spoiled children with attitudes of entitlement, and self-appointed royalty. They throw tantrums when their way and rarely, in my observation, do they follow the guidelines set forth by the Regional teams. They just do what they want with arrogant attitudes. Ego is in plentiful supply at the Store Leadership level. I've watched good people make their way from Team Member to Associate (Assistant) Store Team Leader and their personality goes in the toilet, matching the resident leadership model.
Pros
Access to great health information & products
Cons
Rampant nepetism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Whole Foods Market. Our community is ready to answer.

52.5K
42.6K
31.6K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Whole Foods Market.

Powered by Comparably