Wichita Public Schools Employee Reviews in Wichita, KS

I had a marvelous experience at WPS!
Temporary Aide - Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 13, 2019
My Principal was helpful, informative and supportive. The staff work together to make school the best place for kids, showing concern for each student as an individual!
Good Work Environment
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 9, 2019
Administration provide a good work environment for other staff. Typical day as an AVID tutor is helping the students solve problems and grading/filing/copying papers.
Get everything in writing!
Special Education Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 28, 2019
And file it somewhere that is easily accessible. 259 is a huge company.Mgmt, HR, and their lawyers are masters of deception! If it's not written and signed, it didn't happen... regardless of how close you think you are.
Hopefully you get placed at a good school were staff respects each other
Former teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 20, 2019
I enjoyed working with the students and some of the staff. But one person can make and break an experience. Staff member was allowed to bully and make it seem that they ran the school just because they were tenured. Reported to HR nothing was done. I guess they dont take work place bullying seriously either. If you do get a position hopefully you work at a school were the staff acts as adults and respect each other and also believes in team work.
Pros
Summers off, make a difference with students
Cons
higher ups HR no organization whatsoever
Good, positive work environment
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 6, 2019
Your experience really depends on what school you are at. My school has a great team and a great core group of employees that made it a very positive and successful environment.
Fun, Collaberatve, Challanging
Student Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 24, 2019
Student teaching in the Wichita school district challenged me in more ways than one. I had to learn how to adapt lesson plans to fit all ranges of academic ability. I had to build strong relationships with my students in order for them to respect me and for them to listen to me while I taught. I had to work with the other English Teachers in order to better fit my lessons in with the whole school.
Pros
Plan time, good breaks
Cons
Administration probems
Wichita Public Schools
Interrelated Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67203April 18, 2019
Working for this employer I learned how to be patient with students. The hardest part was dealing with students who wouldn't give their best or try at their school work but the rewarding part was helping students who really had a hard time learning but kept at it.
Overall Great
Temporary Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 11, 2019
Depending on which school you work at will dictate your experience with WPS. The kids are wonderful, the teachers are great and it's fun to be a part of such a wonderful community.
Okay
teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 23, 2019
It really depends on who the principal is at your building as to how the school operates. I have worked with excellent principals and thoroughly enjoyed my time at my latest building
Fun place to work
Paraprofessional/Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 20, 2019
It was great working at White Elementary. I have been here 8 years. I just need work over the summer. It is time to move on. I met alot of great people at this job! Life long friends.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Very stressful days
Overall Job
BIST Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 4, 2019
Great job for young adults. Pay is not that good but it is a perfect starter job. If you are a college graduate or working to become a teacher this is the perfect starter job.
Certain schools are better than others, but most aren't great.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 28, 2019
259 has a real culture problem. They constantly shifted principals around and had no consistency in how principals ran schools; there were also no repercussions for principals when they behaved inappropriately (verbal harassment and with one principal, sexual harassment) towards staff other than maybe moving them to a different school (though the one time I reported harassment to the union, they told me that I was wrong because my principal "had been a great union member as a teacher"). The board and the union were also constantly fighting about teacher pay, and it was frozen on year, so no guaranteed steps and tracks money. That is somewhat more of a state education funding issue, but other districts (261 for instance) managed without screwing over their teachers/messing up their insurance.
Teacher were also often very antagonistic towards each other, and no one really cared.
The kicker for me, though, was that at some schools, parents pretty much called the shots. I taught an extra curricular and was constantly bullied by parents if they didn't feel like their kids got enough special treatment, and administration just kind of took it and told me the only thing for me to do was listen.
Pros
summers off?, some schools are fine, improving school board
Cons
bad management, disrespectful parents and students
Professional and Innovative
Teacher and Coach (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 25, 2019
Great people work for the Wichita Public School System! It is a district that encourages collaboration and innovation, allowing teachers to create and develop engaging opportunities for the students.
Pros
Collaborative colleagues
Cons
Healthcare Plan
For a part time job it was ok
Substitute Teacher, Long-term (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 12, 2019
The job could be stressful but overall I enjoyed teaching the children. I made some good friends and have been asked to come back and teach again. The job required flexibility and adaptability. If the pay was better I would go back.
Pros
Hours were great
Cons
Administration made poor policies
nice place to work
Temp Term Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 29, 2018
I am struggling getting away from my temp term position to a benefited postion. I started off as a fill in temp for someone who was supposed to be there later in the year.
Pros
nice people
Wonderful place to work with wonderful people
Paraeducator/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 29, 2018
I love working for the Wichita Public School district. The people I work with are friendly, helpful, and always professional. Unfortunately, in my current position, it is next to impossible to support yourself without taking on another job because I don't work enough hours to cover all my day to day expenses. Almost worth it though with how amazing of a work environment there is here.
Pros
great people, upbuilding work environment
Cons
not enough hours given
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 15, 2018
I meet great people, vendors, we have some great staff members, we laugh and fun as well as contined to our visitors, theres never a dull moment, we have great turn outs with new employees, we play games,
Benefits
Cons
N/a
Take your chances
Pre K thru 9th Grade Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 4, 2018
I worked at Wichita Public Schools so long ago I am uncertain of the way things are now. However, at the time that I worked there I just remember being tired of overlooked for promotion and it really felt like discrimination.
Pros
employee discounts, employee children school preference
Cons
salary, no advancement
great place to work
ESOL/Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 27, 2018
I loved teaching here. I loved Wichita schools because they valued their teachers and what their teachers needed. They gave us raises when they could.

The best thing about working at the last school I was at in Wichita, was the kids. I worked in a very low income area and the kids were so great! The parents were supportive of the teachers.

This was my favorite place to teach overall!
Pros
students and parents
Cons
nothing
Kept up with current issues in education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 24, 2018
Good place to work. Like everywhere else, you have to contend with the occasional manager who should have retired. Great benefits and good working environment. Kept you up to date.
Pros
Great work place culture
Cons
difficult to transfer