Wichita Public Schools Employee Reviews for Para Educator

I had a marvelous experience at WPS!
Temporary Aide - Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 13, 2019
My Principal was helpful, informative and supportive. The staff work together to make school the best place for kids, showing concern for each student as an individual!
Overall Great
Temporary Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 11, 2019
Depending on which school you work at will dictate your experience with WPS. The kids are wonderful, the teachers are great and it's fun to be a part of such a wonderful community.
Hours and pay were okay
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 18, 2018
The management team there was ok depending on the day. There seemed to be a lot of drama and if there was issues with management and teachers i would get pulled into it. Thing i love the most is helping the kids.
Fun place to work
Full time Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 29, 2018
Everyone was very nice and was made comfortable. I would recommend anyone to work here. Just from the first day to my last day, I was never afraid to ask a question or directions, as everyone was so nice.
Overworked and undervalued
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  PreKSeptember 17, 2017
So much stress and responsibility and not enough pay. The kids are great, it is mostly district officials that make this job difficult.

I am barely making more than when i started over 10 years ago and i am struggling to support my family on this.

It is not worth the stress for the money.
Pros
Holidays off with my family
Cons
Lots of unpaid days (paras), unsupportive administration, still can't afford medical care because the deductibles and copays are so high.
review
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 13, 2017
Great job for the pay, great staff and diversity to work with. You learn how to work with all kinds of students and how to teach different learning types.
Wichita Public school
MES Interpreter / Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 10, 2016
I worked with the McKinney Vento program (Homeless program) for the students who are homeless or don't have the necessary for them to go to work. I work with parents, students at shelters. Loved my co-workers. The hardest part was to have everything organized in a short amount of time. I also work as a Spanish interpreter for at parent's conference.
Pros
Work with students and parents
Cons
short amount of time
great place to work
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 23, 2016
I only wish that Para educators were respected more. However being able to work with the children and see the smiles make it all worth while.
Friendly environment place to work
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 19, 2014
Greet the students upon arriving.Learned that everyone is friendly and helpful. Principal works with others and helpful.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Collabortation and teen mentoring.
Paraeducator- Secondary Ed.; Track & Field Coach (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 29, 2012
Within the five years I have been employed at Southeast High School I have learned the true meaning of patience. Working with teens is a challenge in itself, but teaching teens with special needs is another avenue most working adults do not face. You are taught that your presence may be the most valuable part of their day, teaching them life skills and showing them how to be productive in a society that may not be accepting of them. These children brought a smile to my face every day. Their joy in life showed me how to appreciate smaller things often over looked.

The hardest part of the job is seeing your students graduate. It is truly a bitter sweet moment. You never know where their journey will lead them.

Collaborating with teachers on lesson plans is vital to the growth of each individual student. This portion of the job was most challenging due to the rigor placed in the lessons. You do not want to hinder a student from succeeding academically or socially.

These things named above combined with staff interaction, written and oral correspondence with supervisors, and following Board of Education Paraeducator job descriptions, to name a few, are typical in a day as a Paraeducator at Southeast High School.
Pros
student success rate