Wichita Public Schools Employee Reviews

Not worth the pay
First Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 13, 2018
I switched to Wichita Public schools because working at a private school did not pay the bills. However, the working environment at my school is so stressful that I come home crying several times per week. I have little support from admin on behavior issues. I follow the steps and the students come back to my room and pick up the exact same behaviors. The discipline does nothing to change students attitude or behavior. When I ask for help, I get the same answer every time and it doesn't help at all.
Pros
great pay, good benefits and retirement
Cons
major behavior issues, little support from admin
Job Rutine
Secretary/Clerk/Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 3, 2018
Working for the school was a very busy time. Nothing there was ever the same, which kept things going and interesting. I was in charged of all the students file, students coming to our school or students moving to other schools. My job included to do the reports for Nutrition. This reports were daily and monthly. I also took the name of the kids at lunch time and then you would charge their accounts. Parents would paid for the lunches so you would have to deposit make a deposit and the main secretary would take it to the bank. At the end of the year we had a final report. I was also in charge of payroll for all the Peras and Custodians and keeping up with corrections they may have done when punching in and out. Explaining any questions they may have had regarding their time/or pay. My job also included Transportation, field trips, answering the phones, helping the students coming into the office for help
Benefits
Cons
No salary increases
Hard to get a hold of staff
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 26, 2018
Hard to get a hold of the substitute teaching office. Phone calls aren't answered and voicemails aren't returned. Phone line would be busy most of the time during their business hours. Management has switched often and as an employee I am not aware.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management is not a team
Usd 259
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 8, 2018
I provided the care and uptake of the schools in the USD 259 school district. Had fun with floor care, an training. The workplace culture was one of the best I have been in. The job was so enjoyable that it was not hard.
it was afun place to wrk at
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 7, 2018
it was ahard and very fast pase job . you have to work very fast to keep up with the children comeing in line for a hot meal. you had to keep lots of trys in line so kids can just grad and go.
Pros
free lunch after work is done
Cons
no breaks at all
Substitute Teacher/Paraprofessional
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 3, 2018
My typical workday insisted of fulfilling regular teacher duties in grades K-8. I learned student management as well as becoming fluent in multiple grade's curriculum. The workplace depended on the building I was in, but overall the district has high standards for each building.
Pros
Having a choice of grade level and buildings to work with/in
Cons
n/a
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 19, 2018
As a sub para I get to choose my hours. Only down flaw is no insurance and benefits . I like traveling around schools and meeting new people . So far I enjoyed jardine and Hamilton middle .
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No insurance
Busy work place
Security Officer I (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 18, 2018
Great place to work as long as you are not in security. During the school year it wasn’t uncommon to have 12-15 hour workdays. The lady big days make the job stressful. Outside of that I really enjoyed working there.
Pros
All the over time you could want.
Cons
All the over time that you don’t want.
Excellent for a young person to grow in
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 15, 2018
Working for the Wichita Public Schools provides anyone the opportunity to be able to grow and have a substantial retirement plan that will provide for them and their families. Upward growth is constantly available for anyone wishing to be able to get in on the ground floor and promote up to management in no time.
Pros
Promotional Opportunities
fun and exciting environment
Paraprofessional - Elementary / Secondary (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2018
Each teacher had a different method and it was very exciting to experience.. I learned that each child is different and required a case by case response.
Love my job!
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 11, 2018
I love working for the Wichita School district, great people! We have amazing teachers that truly care about our kids and do everything possible for them to succeed!
Great learning experience
SCHOOL NURSE (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 9, 2018
The workday is always different and you never know what is going to walk into the health room or what situation you will be called to. Always have to be ready for emergencies. It is a very autonomous job as you are the only nurse in the building and the only person to understand your position and all that it entails.
Pros
weekends, summers & holidays off
Cons
none to think of
Subpar situation
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 2, 2018
This was the second placement for my student teaching. It was less than desirable. My teaching partner clearly was not interested in having a student teacher available.
Guidance Counseling
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2017
I enjoyed wokring as a school counselor but the staff and leadership were very two faced and competitve for attention. I did enjoy working with high school students
Excellent place to work!
ESOL Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 16, 2017
I happily write about Wichita Public Schools because of there awesome support I was given in my time working for them. I was truly ecstatic going to work every and work with the children. If I could have stayed longer I would have, however I needed to pursue opportunities elsewhere out of state. But I will forever hold dearly all the valuable experience and achievement I gained during my time working for Wichita Public Schools.
Great employeer
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 12, 2017
Great place to work the people really care about the kids and want them to be successful in the future. Very much of a team environment at every school I spent time.
Nice place to work, children are great
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 28, 2017
If you enjoy working with children, its great! Safe environment unusually. Staff are professional. Schools are clean. Good available parking. Lots are big, spacious.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
No benefits if you are part time
Good work experience
School Social Worker, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 17, 2017
Enjoyed working in early childhood program, where you could impact a child's learning experience early. Worked with parents to encourage them to take active part in their child's education.
Pros
Excellent professional growth opportunities
Cons
had to relocate
Productive Learning Environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 13, 2017
Most enjoyable thing about teaching is working with hearing impaired children during a long-term substitute assignment. I enjoyed the opportunities to collaborate with other educators. There were professional development opportunities. In most of the schools, the management always made themselves accessible and offered assistance if needed. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a positive learning environment while managing classroom behaviors.
Pros
Being flexible
Cons
not enough hours
Teaching at Wichita South High is Challenging
Biology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 7, 2017
I typically worked from 7:30 to 5:30 Monday through Friday. I was required to perform teaching duties including preparing, implementing, and assessing lessons, communicating with students, parents, administrators, and assisting students with motivation, comprehension, and working as a team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with student negativity. I faced this challenge by being creative, positive, kind, and fair.
Pros
schedule allowed me to be free from school when my child was free
Cons
working with youth that have little support at home takes its toll