Wichita State University Employee Reviews

Great work/life balance
HR Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 15, 2017
Very nice vacation package (6.77 hrs every 2 weeks period for staff with roll over). A lot of turn over with upper administration has led to insecure employees recently. Overall direction of University is strong, but a lot of strange turnover. Some pain points with staff and faculty evaluation and tension between two groups, and also very antiquated processes for various procedures, but overall a great place to work and I would highly recommend it for pay and benefits and work/life balance.
Pros
work/life balance, good benefits, good vacation
Cons
antiquated processes and procedures
Great schooling opportunity
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 14, 2017
I was a full-time student and worked the desk most nights, great work experience and opportunity to manage my homework and still be able to work. I worked nights as mentioned so there was a lot of time to do my homework however when I did work daytime I worked on small tasks and projects with others in the office.
Encouraging Work with improvement in Confidence Level
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 16, 2017
My Job as a Teaching Assistant was to conduct Electrical Circuit Lab and teach students different experiments. I enjoyed doing that and it was really motivating for me to talk to all those students.

I learned a lot of things of which the most important was the way every student use to think and the way they approach different things.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 3, 2017
Loved working for the Management Department in the School of Business. Talented Professors and Instructors, as well as the graduate research assistants made the atmosphere in the office enjoyable and stress-free.
Great learning experience, Interaction with plenty of students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 9, 2017
Job: Teaching and helping students with coursework and projects.

Improved presentation and communication skills.

Time management, working on a schedule.

A chance to interact with hundreds of students from various parts of the world. Getting to know their jobs, interests, and culture.
Exciting Place to Work
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 3, 2017
As a clinical instructor I am given the opportunity to help shape and create the nurses of tomorrow. It is very rewarding to watch these professionals grow and flourish.
Well, its a job
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 24, 2017
Worked as a research assistant at Wichita State University, which provided some unique and much needed experience.

Wouldn't really recommend going there for school though...
Pros
Unique experience
Cons
Compensation issues
Graduate teaching assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 24, 2017
I have taught at WSU for two years and absolutely love it - but it is a personality thing. Many grad students don't particularly enjoy teaching. The students can be hard to motivate at first, but as long as you stick with engaging them and showing that you care about them, they will put forth the effort into coming to class, participating, asking great questions, and studying hard.
Good time teaching Undergrad Students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  KSSeptember 20, 2017
If you love sharing your knowledge so this is the Job.The most exciting part is to teach people and when you started doing it, you will get to know that you have to learn more when it comes to teaching
Pros
You Learn More
Cons
I didnt find any
Easy relaxing job
Seamstress (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 6, 2017
Not great pay for time put in (minimum wage) but a nice relaxing job for students who live on campus and just need a little extra money during the semesters.
Pros
No commune needed for students, enjoyable work environment
Cons
Low pay and no benefits
Felt I was very under-valued and stuck doing tasks below my ability level
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trio Program--McNair Scholars programSeptember 5, 2017
I loved the atmosphere and being on campus but my boss was very controlling and never allowed me to do creative assignments that were my passion. I felt there were others in my office who deserved more recognition for the effort they put in.
Pros
Being on a college campus and interaction with students
Cons
Job atmosphere/controlling boss
Uncertain
Assistant Professor of Sociology (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 27, 2017
It has been so long since I worked at Wichita State University that I cannot fairly evaluate my experience there. My department was very collegial, but seemed to come under attack from other social science departments, and the administration was moving toward a business model of education.
Pros
Cons
State budget cuts
Great Job for Students
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 24, 2017
Wichita State has an excellent work program for students. I was able to attend my classes in the morning and work in the afternoons, which was exactly what I needed to meet my schedule demands. The staff was very accommodating when I needed to change my shift due to schedule changes on campus as well.
Great place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 12, 2017
I came here for my Master's in Computer Networking. I worked as GTA and GSA. It has many perks for students. We get to learn different cultures and get exposed to new technologies in the labs, before getting into the real world IT field.
Unique Role, but absolutely great people!
Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 24, 2017
My role at WSU was that of play by play announcer for the Women's Basketball Team, Volleyball team and Baseball team. To that end, the schedule was what it was - I was there when the team was playing. So my connection with the university was unique. But the people I had the privilege to work with and for were amazing. From the three different AD's to the Media Relations Staff, to my immediate supervisors depending on Radio or TV, to those I emulated and those I shared the mic with, all were first class! I would highly recommend Wichita State University - especially the athletic department - as a vibrant, diverse, empowering workplace.
Very good experience
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 20, 2017
I taught electrical engineering class as a teaching assistant and had enjoyed it greatly. School culture is just great but often can be hectic in a good challenging way.
Executive Board Staff Recruitment Chair (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 7, 2017
I gained a number of acquaintances and friends while at Beta Theta Pi and I learned to connect with people in a variety of settings it was an encouraging experience
Professor guided research
Engineering Research (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 5, 2017
This position was not actually under Wichita State University per se, but through the State itself under a government grant for the purpose of forming a temporary and experimental research project to meet the needs of a major aircraft company in the local area.
Good to Study and Work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 27, 2017
Its a great working culture in Wichita State University.
Its better to get a Research assistant or a student assistant than a Graduate teaching assistant position.
GTA will be given only on the condition that yo have to agree to do thesis or Phd under professors.
Family oriented work environment
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 23, 2017
Everyone here work together as a team. Everyone wants to make the lab a successful place. The workers all take pride in the work that they do. Management support their work staff.