Wickes Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Wonderful Company - Highly Recommend
Administrative Assistant & Social Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYMay 23, 2018
I have worked at two positions while working at Wickes Arborists. My first job was as an Aministrative Assistant and the one I presently work is Social Media Manager. Since day 1 of working at Wickes I have felt comfortable due to the tremendous staff. The entire staff is very friendly and eager to help you with whatever you might need. The owners treat all employees, top to bottom, with respect which makes working for them much easier and pleasurable. Highly recommend this great company to all looking for employment.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Great Work Culture, Benefits
Ok place to work
Contractor Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, WIFebruary 23, 2018
This company no longer exists. I believe they filed for bankruptcy. Was an ok place to work but went thru buyout several times. Store was closed in I think 2009
Poor management
Ordered all material as Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 2, 2018
I worked Wickes Lumber 7 yrs with no benefits, 1 raise, and relocation which brought me to Florida. However, after paying for my own relocation, the store closed. My job was inventory control, cashier.
My workplace was extremely stressful and employees were not treat properly
Sales Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYNovember 15, 2017
I had a wide variety of things to do at Wickes. While there I was responsible for answering all inbound high volume phone calls. I maintained and took care of calendar appointments for several different sales representatives. I took take care and managed customer accounts. I had to arrange staff meetings, travel arrangements, online ads etc. Managing basic office responsibilities like faxing, scanning, data entry, in and outbound mail, ordering office supplies and fed ex packaging were also part of everyday work.
Some larger assistance was required when the company was involved in certain home shows and job fairs. I also composed and maintained important spreadsheets and documents (i.e. sales reports, coupons, contacts lists, office SOP's, letters and emails).
Pros
The pay was great
Cons
The owners were horrible to their employees
Company has gone out of business
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romeo, MINovember 3, 2017
During my years of employment with Wickes Lumber Company I was able to advance from counter sales person to Administrative Assistant. This was a great company to work for. Unfortunately the times saw the company struggle financially and subsequently close it's doors. I became unemployed when they closed.
ok to work at
Skills & Systems Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILOctober 28, 2017
not much direction. My boss never provided clear direction. I wasn't sure what my directives were and what I was supposed to do on a day to day basis
Estimator and delivery truck coordinator
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAOctober 12, 2017
Supervised and trained my staff scheduled the delivery trucks to the coordinating customers each day. Sourced and priced all bids that came in for key customers
fun workplace
Supervisor Wickes hailsham/bexhill on sea (Former Employee) –  East SussexOctober 5, 2017
busy most the time, non stop, day goes fast long hours,decent holiday time given meet loads of people good training in store advancement in wickes available
Closed
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2017
Senior Sales- Trained and ran operations of the store daily. Helped clients choose home furnishings. Helped design homes including sofas, tables, chairs, rugs, lamps and art work.
Assist helping with finance and delivery of product.
Pros
Loved the design work and working with people.
Cons
Store closed too soon
was a busy store "building" Bloomington's homes
Inventory Management Control (Former Employee) –  Ellettsville, INSeptember 9, 2017
was a really busy store during a major housing boom. Managed 1.5 million in inventory monthly by myself was a huge task. was able to get the store into the top ten in inventory turns.
Pros
interesting job
Cons
hard sometimes to keep up with the demand
good
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 18, 2017
wickes has been shut down for many years but when it was open, it was a fast paced environment with a good selection of people to work with on a daily basis
This company was a great place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 28, 2017
I started out as inventory control clerk. Meaning i counted and made sure all materials were in stock and the proper turns were met. Most importantly inventory dollars were in line.Then was promoted to Operations manager . Consisting of all facets of operation. personel to inventory and customer relations. I thrived in this atmosphere. I was also told by District Manger that i could go anywhere in the company and work for him.
A great place in it's time!
Operations Manager / Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 2, 2017
Wickes Lumber no longer exists. In the day, Wickes Lumber was a very strong lumber yard in the Fort Wayne market and had a team of people dedicated to integrity.
Team work, competence, pressure
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  WickesJanuary 29, 2017
I find my job very enjoyable, it's a constant challenge and requires a great deal of competence and confidence. I like the pressure and the constant shift in what I'm working with. It's a job that requires some responsibility and a positive attitude.
Busy place to work
Senior Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans, ENGFebruary 1, 2016
They pay a good salary but if your working on shop floor day could get quite hectic. Good place to climb up in your career.
Constant interaction with customers, colleagues will normally be college/school students. Managers are friendly
management was very unexpreicent
Class I and Class II truck driver (Former Employee) –  Hopedale, MAApril 11, 2015
a day at work started at 6:00 am and could go until 7 or 8 at nightlong days. best part of job was meeting customers and talking with them
Great Opportunity
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 4, 2015
I found that at Wickes Furniture there were lots of advantages for someone with my skill set, however, I also found that there was a lack of opportunity for advancement in the local job market as there were only 2 stores. I enjoyed working with the staff and developing their selling and design skills.
Pros
Great compensation and benefits
Cons
Extended hours and limited growth potential
Okay as a temporary fix
Sales floor (Current Employee) –  EnglandDecember 21, 2014
After working for Wickes for 6 months I'm really not too impressed.

Cons:

Overtime being thrown on you without your permission,
pretty petty wages,
Management which is quite laughable at times,
Weekend work is a must and no days of for bank holidays,
Only one day off during Christmas,
No real job security,
Very little training, thrown in at the deep end and having to work it out yourself,
No real health and safety training given, apart from a 30 minute dvd,
Long days, 10+ hour shifts

Pros:

They will help you advance if you push them enough,
Friendly co workers,
Possibility of pay rises (only after training given)
Productive a good place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  ChesterApril 6, 2014
A typical day is to work hard and give each and every customer brilliant service. Working on the shop floor can be tough as sometimes it requires you to jump from job to job which at times can be difficult to remember where you was up to. Managers and colleagues are brilliant to get along with and make the job easier when you get on with everyone.
Pros
Good colleagues, good store enjoy working with them and the public
Serving the public and the contractor home building business always felt like family.
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 12, 2014
Responsibilities included Order, Receive, Stock, Store, Issue, Returns and Accounts Receivables for all lumber and essential building materials for homeowners and contractor business. Process any special orders for products not normally stocked and follow-up until orders are received. Perform weekly, monthly inventories adjusting any pin-points of sales for the Gross Margin of Returns on Inventory. Conduct a 100% annual Inventory under the leadership of the Inventory Manager. Forklift experience.