Wickes

3.0Pay & Benefits

Wickes insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction

Fun

The team were good, I enjoyed working with them. Management could do better and stop being so lazy. Too much drama. The pay is minimum wage, for the job it is, it’s not great

Worst place to work for the management are clueless.

Worst place to work for, the management are clueless and have no idea what they are doing. Training is so poor and you have to provide your own pc and mobile phone to do your work. Pay is not worth it you can get better pay and less hours else where. Turnover is high even have to get temp workers in as no one wants to work at Wickes.

Pros

work from home

Cons

long hours, pay, no benefits and no training

Very demanding job for minimum wage

You get paid minimum wage for a job that should pay a lot more. Yes you got a bonus but it’s 3 months behind and is only a good number if you work 30+ hours. The staff turnover is incredibly high and therefore it is always understaffed as the management prefer more people shorter hour contracts than giving longer contracts to reliable people. The workload is exhaustive (heaving lifting and repetitive jobs ie handling timber or 25kg of sand etc) and doesn’t equal the benefits that you get from the job. Colleagues are lovely and you always feel welcome but it’s not enough to make you stay in a job where you never really get to progress.

Pros

Good benefits scheme

Cons

Longs shifts, demanding managers and extensive workload

A good group of colleagues

Wickes is minimum wage so it is a struggle but its definitely a stable forever job for myself. The colleagues are great to work with. An hour unpaid break and two 15 minute breaks just makes the day a little bit longer than needed.

Pros

Discount card for a few places

Cons

Minimum wage, no progression

Such a terrible place to work

Was my first job at 16 which was decent at the time but it becomes so bad and I dreaded everyday I worked. Most managers are terrible but there was a few good ones. Often was got out 15 mins late if you was on the late shift (Unpaid). They pay £6.21 for under 18. Do not work here unless you have no where else to go. Nearly everyone there hates it.

Pros

20% Off

Cons

Basically everything

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Good training opportunities

Good place to work, good hours fixed shifts, good training opportunities ie mhe. Health and safety , friendly staff. Hot food canteen. Uniform supplied.

Pros

Hours

Low pay - erratic hours

No extra pay for forklift operators despite numerous extra risks and ways to lose your job. Erratic hours, external managers brought in on numerous occasions instead of progressing current, experienced staff.

Cons

Infrequent hours - minimum wage

Alright place to work

Been at Wickes better part of a year now, it's a nice place to work mainly for the people you work with and the regulars, the actual work itself is pretty mundane with little change up bit figured it would be when getting into it. There are a few staff who definitely have their favourites and if you pipe up they'll make sure you get lumped in the tills for hours and can get a bit arsey about breaks (which are unpaid) but this isn't that common of an occurrence but if going for the job be wary of it and stand your ground from day one. The majority of the time at work goes by pretty quickly and most people you work with are a laugh and that helps overcome the more boring parts of the job.Another downside is the way hours can be divided you can be working from before midday till after 8pm then the day after be in at 630am so the schedules are a bit over the place but not too bad once you find your rhythm.Another big plus is job security especially in these uncertain times and the 20% discount is appealing too. If the store performs well you can get bonuses aswell which helps bump the fairly meager pay up but isn't a consistent thing.All in all 3/5Pros: good people, nice managers/staff most of the time, discounts, work can feel rewarding sometimes.Cons:Minimum wage, expected to work through unpaid breaks if busy sometimes, favouritism, hypocrisy.

Pros

Most of the staff are great, regulars are a laugh, keeps you fit, discount card and discounts for many retailers

Cons

Unpaid breaks which can be expected to work through, favouritism, low wage, odd shifts

Stressful and frustrating

You have No control over workloads as management and staff have access to your calendar and can over load it with appointments that you struggle to achieve, so unpaid extra hours are the norm. Management and customer services give no support so the culture is everything leads back to the designer to sort out.Store managers, core staff and k and b advisors are resentful of the salary you get and you are isolated and un supported with your workloads.It is an us against them conflict environment between designers and the rest of the staff.All the designers in my store left before me as staff turnover is very high. Stress and pressure and working every weekend is the norm.Because commissions can be high if you are selling company attitude is that designers are responsible for everything. Senior management care only about core part of the store and only care about pressurising designers for higher sales targets constantly. If you value your long term health avoid this company at all costs.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Unreasonable workloads, stress, conflict daily

Not worth the bother

Lowest pay rate of all diy business's, managment don't care about anyone unless you are one of the favourites. If your face doesn't fit you won't get any training or chances to advance which is the opposite to what is promised in the company handbook. And even the Christmas do is arranged so only the favourites can go. You'll get a 10 hour contract, with a bit of over time, but this will be taken off you and given to the favourites. Some managers force people to work their unpaid breaks and do extra so if you like working for 9 hours with no break this is fine.. Not a good place to work. Oh and very few of the staff, including the managment do not have the knowledge of using tools, etc so they can't give customers any real advice. Not a good place to work..

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Everything else

Lovely staff and cheaper than a gym membership

I was recommended a job a Wickes by a good friend. I love the staff here, they're all like one big family and they will always listen if you need help. The pay isn't the best but it pays the bills. It is a very physically demanding job, which I enjoy, because it helps keep me in shape too.

Pros

Free tea/coffee, lovely staff, flexible hours, seated smoking area, very mental health aware.

Cons

unpredictable hours, low pay

fun

I really enjoyed my job at wickes its just unfortunate that the pandemic cost me my job .Long hours but worth it , very good company to work for .Customer satisfaction my big one

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Could be stressful

Do not work here!

Did not get paid for 3 months of work, they broke several laws due to my age and the management is awful. They give you double the contracted hours and only 20-30 minute breaks for 9 hour shifts.

Pros

Cons

No pay, short breaks, long hours, rude managers

Very good incentives , very poor and poor knowledge within management

As a Kitchen designer Wickes pay very well. They also have an Ok training schedule although most of this you will learn on the job. They have good tools for the job but are falling behind with there design programme against others. The job is very exciting and if you are target based you would enjoy this role They fall very short when coming to support from managers. The manager in my store also had no experience with designing or even basic kitchen knowledge this led to them not knowing what to review you on and you ended up just writing your own monthly appraisals and them signing it. Although with this said if you fell behind target you would get told "to take more money" with no constructive criticism to hep you improve. When asking for support you would constantly be told that you earn more than the manager so you need to sort it yourself. As someone who was previously a manager , my manager used to constantly ask me what i thought and even if i could look at peoples reviews and how i would discipline them i found this utterly unprofessional

Pros

very good pay and benefits

Cons

incredibly low support

Wickes is a great place to work if you enjoy hard work and being part of a team. Hours are long but time goes fast as you always have something to do.

Pros

Great team work

Decent place to work

Decent company to work for as a design consultant minimum wage topped up with a commission structure commission based on what you sell including fitting

Pros

Good pay incentive

Low wage, high stress

Despite how valuable you are to the company, you will only be payed minimum wage. Helpful? friendly? loyal? doesn't matter, you still payed based on age. Some employees do bare minimum work but are payed more than those who put in 100% simply because they are older. Forklift drivers are also not payed more for their skill. They are absolutely essential to these stores, take on much more responsibility and stress due to the high demand for use of the truck, yet are not payed a penny more. Don't get me started on customers either, never have I met customers in any store who swear, shout or show general vulgarity as Wickes customers. 99% of staff are lovely though

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

stressful, horrible customers and bad pay

Poorly run company that have no care for staff

The company are a minimum cost run company (as told to me by my regional manager) therefore they expect you to complete an incredible work amount for the lowest pay they can possibly give you.

Avoid!

Terrible pay for the position, no fairness in treatment of staff, some staff that don't do anything are always paid more and get away with bare minimum while other people have to do all the work without any benefits, Low staff all the time, two people running the whole store, always missing staff cover, no consequences for people not turning up or not doing anything to help, very poor team marole. Now onto the 5th store manager in 5 years as noone stays long enough to make the store half decent, when the going gets tough they move on, the store is very quiet and

Ok

Its good fast pace work and decent environment ... I enjoy picking and it was fair ... fast working picker and good training but it was bad on probation periods

Alright place to work at

Pacing at work was generally fine, some heavy lifting involved, customer service and product knowledge and stock rotation etc. Pay was fine, competitive when started but raised way too late to reflect changes in minimum wage cap. Good friendly team, regardless of what part of the store you worked for. Probably the weakest bit to the job was management, which changed several times and most of the management was out of touch with other staff, almost alienating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wickes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Wickes with

• Wickes
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?