Wildfire Defense Systems
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Working at Wildfire Defense Systems: 38 Reviews

United States38 reviews

companyemployeetimegreatworkpeoplewildfirelot

Cool work, good people, brutal shifts

If you are into natural disasters and earth sciences, you will probably enjoy the subject matter. It can be very fun and social due to the layout of the work environment. Long shifts, weird times, and not very flexible time off can wear down someone who wants some work/life balance.

Pros

Cool work, Social

Cons

Brutal hours, Lack of Flexibility

Constant downturn.

This place promises the sky as the limit and then cuts your feet off at the knees. They constantly ask how they can do better, but then immediately ignore and disregard any feedback. There is a mental list of benefits (fringe or direct) that everyone keeps in their head that helps justify working fir this place. On a pretty routine basis they decide to take away some of those. This year was the final straw when they "standardized" their holiday bonus. Without telling any of the staff, either seasonal or full time, everyone got roughly 10% of their expected bonuses. The seasonal employees especially come to rely on this bonus to incentivize them to return next year because we know that the company is looking out for us. Not anymore. Any ambition for employee loyalty are squashed every time you get your hopes up. Then they have the balls to ask for input on why employee retention is so low.

Pros

Paid to travel

Cons

Absolute dumpster fire to work for. The decision makers are imbeciles.

Wildfire Defense Systems insights

Areas for improvement
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Opportunity, but management/executive group is only into the story they sell.

Please be honest. Most of the upper management would be fired tomorrow if they were reviewed with accomplishments and true success considered. Ask the employees who makes a difference…. Or since you are making great profits, just keep cycling through them….

Workplace

Management sucks, they usually waste your time for 3 hours. Unorganized and a hot mess don’t work here if you want fire experience they give false claims and it a scam of a job.

Great place to work.

The company keeps growing and becoming better to work for. On fires, you are going out and prepping properties ahead of the fire. Putting a scratch line around the structure. Applying vent tape, moving combustibles, setting up sprinkler kits around the house. Then prior to leaving, you will go back and remove the vent tape, move the combustibles back, and anything else you moved. On days when you aren't on a fire, you will do training (online and hands on) to be better prepared.

Pros

The pay is good, and the people in the field are great to work with.

Cons

Seasonal position, "company growing pains"

No place to start a career.

The company is going downhill because of growth. There is no where to go as a career just a heard of sheep. They spend more money on engines then time and money on employee welfare.Bottom line is you WILL be unhappy at work.

Pros

Close to casinos to make up for lost wages.

Cons

Really nice c level staffers sucking the nipple.

Rewarding career in the Technology Department

The technology department is a great place to advance your career, deliver new products to users and support an awesome company mission. Challenge yourself and peers to excel in thinking outside the box. Great teamwork throughout the department with acknowledgement from leadership for wins and milestones.

Pros

Flexible hours, Quick accrual of PTO and great benefits

Great work culture. Clear direction from management. Great opportunities for advancement

The culture has changed at Wildfire Defense Systems. WDS is a great place to work. They genuinely care about their employees and provide an outstanding work culture. The possibilities of advancement are vast you just have to put in the effort. Outstanding performance will be recognized and rewarded.

Pros

Great advancement opportunity. Great work culture.

Cons

Sometime long hours

The culture has changed, especially within IT

I'm empowered, there is vision, we are building teams and skill and trust. Our growth is incredible, we out grew our new building within 90 days of occupancy and we keep growing.

Pros

Accountability

Cons

Company culture is slow to change, though it is fantastic as it manifests

More adventure than you could ever ask for!

WDS was my most favorite job of everything I ever did. There was so much to see and do, you are basically paid to explore and see the country on days of standby, and the days that you have fire response have the most amazing views and experiences you could ever imagine in the wildland fire industry. Hotels and new restaurants every night, and *brand* new equipment to operate everyday. If I want a family man, I would still be working this job.

Pros

Freedom, exploration, hotel points, air miles, handsome per diem.

Cons

Three weeks away from family/home at a time.

If you have another employment option, the other option will likely be better.

At WDS, some people/positions do have it better than others and this is not necessarily based on a genuine skill set or strong work ethic. If you want/like to “play the game”, most likely you will be okay working here. However, keep in mind that most of Leadership will not really see you as an individual and that can be challenging at times.Lastly, if you thrive in a positive environment, this might not be the ideal place for you.

Pros

Some nice people doing some cool things.

Cons

Everything else.

Disappointing Experience

I did not have a good experience working at Wildfire Defense Systems. While my immediate co workers were supportive and helpful, executive management at this company constantly puts road blocks in front of you. I watched countless ideas and proposals that would help expand the scope and profitability of WDS get shut down immediately by the CEO. It is a very toxic work environment, and I left work feeling deflated almost daily. There are a lot of promises made to you regarding your growth at the company, but executives drag their feet on getting approvals and often these promises are left untouched. This company and the work they do has so much potential, but it really falls short with management. I would recommend looking elsewhere for employment. I also recommend reading all of these reviews, it is obvious which ones were prompted by the HR staff to boost the overall rating.

Garbage Company

Lots of hype, smoke and mirrors, and lies. Im amazed this company is still standing. Youre expected to bleed for this company to get pennies in return. They always wait until the last minute to make important decisons that should have been planned and enacted months before. Youre just a number here. Have an engineering degree? Youre guarenteed a job here. Know how to be a two faced liar? Youre hired! Blame coworkers on your short comings? Youre hired! DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, ITS NOT WORTH IT FOR THE AMOUNT OF DISRESPECT YOU WILL FACE FROM THE "EXPERTS" HERE. Youre not treated as a member of the team, youre a number for the executives to make money. The turnover rate for employees is insane. Save yourself the trouble and run.

Pros

Cons

Working here

Great People, Great Opportunities

Every company has pros and cons. The pros far outweigh the cons at WDS. Being the only company to do what we do on the scale we do it, there is no script. WDS has grown exponentially and with that come growing pains. The executive team at WDS has embraced the challenges and has found footing in great leaders where they are needed. The culture of teamwork while utilizing individual skills and talents has made tremendous impacts over the last couple years and with the leadership team moving forward to improve and define the roles of their team, I believe WDS will soon become a premiere employer in the Gallatin Valley. They encourage growth of their employees and support internal promotions. I’ve been welcomed since I joined the team and look forward to the future with WDS.

Pros

Great team. Good benefits. Corporate discounts. Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Fire season offers now down time.

Work/Life Balance and Benefits to Boot!

WDS stands out as an employer who is moving in the corporate world at a record pace while still embracing the bounty of amenities Montana has to offer. With all the chaos of the pandemic and the uncertainty in the world at large, WDS is a stable, growing and long-lasting corporation.They embraced remote work and never failed to keep everyone working while navigating the changes brought on by COVID-19. They are generous in their benefits packages, compensation seems to be at or above par for the work requirements and the building is beautiful!

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Generous PTO Policy, 401k

Don’t reccomend

I don’t recommend working here. I am constantly angry and frustrated. You will have some good coworkers, but it’s rare that anyone here is satisfied and likes their job.

Pros

Adequate pay

Cons

Constant frustration

Don’t no it

You are just a REPLACEABLE COMMODITY. They do not care about their employees. They give a lot of FALSE PROMISES and HOPE just be dragged along. They will keep you in a short leash but expect you to conquer the world at the same times

Pros

You get paid

Cons

They will lay you off with a 1 day notice

Great Company with Tons of Growth Opportunities

Wildfire Defense Systems is a fast growing company, building a new industry. As a new hire, my experience from interview to onboarding was very smooth. It is a very fast paced environment and change is implemented swiftly. As a growing company there is so much opportunity to grow and build new processes and programs.

Pros

Great benefits, paid holiday

Growing company where input is critical!

WDS is growing and it is an exciting time to be an employee. There is a lot of room for creativity and everyone has a voice. The company culture is warm and welcoming. Work/life balance is important.

Company with a bright future and expanding like crazy

WDS is growing like crazy! With growing pains its important for people to know flexibility is needed on a day to day basis. This is a great company for someone looking for a fast pace environment with a lot of different options for career growth. The leaders are very repetitive to hear and implement new ideas.

Pros

Team Environment, Great Leaders, Optimistic Company Vision, Competitive Compensation

Cons

More Employee Engagement Events and Recognition

Extremely dysfunctional company

Corporate office changes direction on a daily basis and the field staff get continually blind-sided as a result. Extremely boring job 90% of the time. Company promotes unqualified personnel - big safety issue. This is a truly messed up organization.

Pros

Might (very rarely) actually get to fight fire.

Cons

Too many to list. RUN AWAY.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wildfire Defense Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Wildfire Defense Systems with

Learn about Wildfire Defense Systems in popular locations

• Wildfire Defense Systems
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?