Wildlife Conservation Society

Wildlife Conservation Society Employee Reviews

United States168 reviews
good seasonal job
always busy/ on Wednesdays its the craziest
learned that always stay hydrated if working on maintenance

management is fair going when they want to be

a lot of employees
great environment
It was a pleasure to work along side others who believed in the same cause. The headquarters is located within the Bronx Zoo park grounds and it is beautiful when you walk outside.
Best Job I Ever Had!
I worked in the Children’s Zoo and I absolutely loved it. Being able to interact with animals, learning about them, their behaviors and personalities. It was amazing. I even got to educate the people about these animals that I loved so much. I left for personal reasons, not by choice or else I would definitely still be there. I made some real friends working there, both animal and human.
Pros
Animal Interactions
Cons
Hard Work
Work place
The work place has some positives and many negatives but as long as you keep to your self it is easy money for a regular associate. A typical day at work would be to walk in through the Asia entrance near 180st and Boston road. You will then go to admissions base to clock in and then the receptionist will let you know your location for the day so that you can start making your way to the location for roll call for day activities.
Great place to work For a Teenager
Worked two seasons in admissions. Put my best foot forward. Never late..rarely called out. Have demonstrated role as a leader and team player. Noticed how management had favorites. Many times when a promotion was available, it was not posted whereas they pretty much just gave the position to who ever. Had a great time but I will not be returning for a third season. Hours varied therefore you really didn’t know whether or not your check would be decent.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
They were accomodating and fair.
After getting my job there, I discovered I was pregnant, and they accommodate me in my conditions and it was pretty easy most days. They also were pretty friendly staff.
Great values and great people. Feels very much like a family.
Overall I loved working fro WCS. I believe strongly in their mission and think they do a very good job of living up to it. The culture and support can be very different depending on the specific department you work in. My supervisor was awesome. However I sometimes had to interface with folks in departments that were not as supportive or friendly so it could be a mixed bag. But families are like that. I left because I moved away. I would work for WCS again in a heartbeat.
Pros
Relaxed family like feel. Great benefits.
Cons
Communication between departments was poor sometimes leading to lower morale.
Easy to communicate with people you work with and everyone loves being there with a smile. There's nothing bad as long as you have patience it's fine.
Everything is great about the Bronx Zoo from my experience because every time I needed help someone was always there to help me even if it was our first time meeting. There's no smoking allowed near the restaurants and you can have breaks whenever you ask. You have free lunch but it's only in the morning and breaks are usually 5-10 minutes.
Pros
Free lunch, breaks whenever you ask, and friendly coworkers.
Cons
Thick uniform you have to wear even when it's hot, always have a hat and black or brown shoes, belt. short break times.
Fun place to work, despite salary restrictions
Wonderful people and wonderful environment to work in. The mission is to save wild animals and wild places and the Wildlife Conservation Society does that both nationally and internationally.

You have the freedom to walk the park and the people you work with are generally nice. You also have the ability to work from home.

However, salaries are low and working at WCS sometimes requires extra jobs.
Pros
Parking, ability to work from home, mission oriented
Cons
low wages, slim opportunities for professional advancement
Great environment and fair amount of independence. Opportunity for change and advancement can be limited. Working for and around animals and conservation is rewarding, but organization can be less progressive than it aims to be.
Great People
Everyone is very nice and works to support the organization's mission. Can't say I've run into big egos like I've run into elsewhere. A good place to work.
Not recommended
Management does not care about their workers. The animals at the zoo are beautiful and fun to visit even though most of them are not on display and you cannot see them
No hours
During my time working at the Central Park Zoo location I was given very few hours, and not given anything that resembled a set schedule. Some days I would work just about 6 hours, and others 3 or 4. Having to leave after only a few hours is a waste of time to a adult who is trying to make ends meet. Carfare in NYC is high enough, and without enough pay to sustain that and other bills it is just a waste. Management tries to rule the staff with an iron fist. Therefore, the staff works with their head down, without energy or enthusiasm throughout the day. If you are lucky you may come across a cool coworker who will show you the ropes, but once management sees that you're enjoying yourself, they will berate you for the littlest thing that they did not train you properly to do. This job is for anyone under 25 without children or responsibility.
everything good, the staff member are very friendly. Also when you work there almost everything there is free. I say this because theres rides you have to pay for which is not a lot but i still saved myself money. Also its good because you can get your family into any aquarium for free or zoo if your with them,
Best 4 years of my life
Great job, fun, productive environment, I loved the hours, Monday thru Friday, 6am to 3pm, great work/ life balance, weekends off. Free tickets to all 5 zoos and Aquarium. Discounts on merchandise.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Was seasonal, had to reapply every year
Wcs
Benefit structure very good based on federal government benefits. Work at the Bronx Zoo. Treetop Adventure Park getting to provide a unique experience to many individuals.
Pros
Putting Smiles on faces
Cons
outside all day in all weather
Great employer
Great employer, would highly recommend to anyone seeking to work in a diverse and empowering organization. No matter the position WCS has a place for you!
nice place
great place to work depending on the department you work for. I worked for rides and they had a lot of favoritism in that department so your hard work goes unnoticed
Fun
A different experience. Worked here as a first job and it was great, I would def recommend to others. Staff and management were both great and welcoming to work with
Pros
Experience, pay, overtime
Cons
Travel
Friendly Work Enviornment, Tough Physical Work, Long Hours
Friendly work environment, great co-workers. One must be ready for long hours of physical work with little breaks in between. Great for those who love to be active.
Great work enviorment
worked there 6 months, always put customers first and teamwork was a main focus.problem solving net working and communication kept customers satisfied.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wildlife Conservation Society. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight