Wiley Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
struggling to adapt
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 3, 2018
Wiley is rightfully proud of its 210 year history and culture of family leadership. Sadly, the intense pressures on the publishing industry in recent years have eroded much of Wiley's unique character. There has been dramatic turnover in senior management and leadership of the business units. The result has been too-frequent and poorly executed reorganizations, which have dampened morale, inhibited staff advancement and creativity, and fostered a 'survival of the self-interested' mentality.
Collaborative
Admin (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2018
Fairly close-knit group in each office. Frequent staff meetings to improve open communication. Recordings provided after for those not able to attend.
Not your typical Call Center
Senior Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2018
My typical day at work consists of so many different things. Wiley has tons of not only books but, products. We have online management systems, employer online assessments, employee online assessments, book companion sites. Here in customer service we also manage convention orders. The culture here is life/work balance. We only work 35 hour weeks and we start off with 4 weeks PTO. The hardest part of the job is multi tasking because it consist of not one or two projects at a time but possibly 3-5 tasks at a time. This is also the most enjoyable because it allows for the day to go by faster and it challenges you!
Great manager, terrible company
CONTENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 8, 2018
Fortunately my team is great and my manager were exceptional but the direction and higher management of the company is horrible. The systems and processes do nothing but get in their own way. More often than not, I spent my time putting out fires and trying to figure out workarounds than doing my job. They have been spinning their wheels for years and don't seem to be able to get to the digital place they're reaching for.
Been a nightmare since Deltak was purchased by Wiley
Instructional Designer and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IllinoisMarch 10, 2018
Was a great place to work before purchased by Wiley where it became a cash cow for Wiley. Many of the best people have left and the integrity of instructional design became unimportant.
Benefits
Great place to work for
Summer Intern - Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMarch 8, 2018
Never a dull moment. It is like a technology hub. One can learn and participate as much as they want. I was fortunate to work as intern and hopefully I will be called in for a full time this summer.
Pros
Subsidized lunch, great environment and a good place to work
Cons
Actually none
Good office enviroment
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 1, 2018
I enjoyed the group that I worked with and was able to be flexible to keep busy. They were always willing to show me different aspects of working at Wiley.
Pros
Plenty of work and well compensated
Cons
Some of management had conflicts with each other in the open
Work review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 26, 2018
Excellent work experience - professional culture; supportive, helpful and interactive as needed, welcoming co-workers; flexible (if needed)consistent opportunity to work independently for task completion, enjoyable place to come for work, literally and personally, every day;
Pros
Professional culture, formal though casual dress code, corporate, access to material to facillitate task completion, professional lunchroom with beautiful view of New York City/Hudson River, pleasant commute
Cons
None noted
10 year employee
Product Designer (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 20, 2018
There have been many changes at Wiley over the past 10 years. Some good and some bad. The good have been their desire to continue to grow and try new things as a company. The bad, is losing that family-owned feel which made Wiley so special.
Pros
Competitive Salary & Vacation
Cons
Limited growth opportunities
Work Life Balance
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 13, 2018
Company really allows the employees to have a decent work life balance which is really important. Managers usually had no problem when employees needed time off.
Cons
healthcare, management

Want to know more about Wiley?

Ask a question
Very good
Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2018
A great place to work overall. A good balance of work and social life. I love how energetic everyone is and the projects are always interesting. Overall a good experience.
productive work place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 1, 2018
working at Wiley was a calm place to work at. People were very friendly. It taught me to be well organized and showed me how to communicate well with others.
Relatively relaxed environment, with no where to go
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2018
Interesting mix of a relaxed workplace culture and terrible leadership. The leadership team is constantly playing musical chairs with their positions and the structure of the business, resulting in lay-offs every six months. Positions are 'eliminated,' people are let go, new positions are opened... and that happens in a six month cycle repeatedly.

The upper-management is also pretty well removed from the rest of the company and they don't appear very concerned with anyone that works here.
Pros
Lots of PTO and relaxed office environment, between the layoffs
Cons
Poor leadership, lack of opportunity for growth, poor managers
Terrible management, great social culture
Editorial Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJanuary 16, 2018
In the five years I was at Wiley, the management was terrible, though the social culture was incredible. There have been a lot of changes over the years and the overall morale of the office is low. But I have faith that they'll figure it out and get over these hurdles in the next few years and be "the place to be" again.
Very Productive place to work with a balance on fun and amazing peers
Commercial Sales Support, Global Operations (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJanuary 16, 2018
Wiley is a great place to work for Millennials. management and peers are always eager to give a helping hand. It is one well oiled machine, many departments are involved in projects so accountability is very important.
Pros
lost of events planned by the events committee. Beer and wine during events
Cons
lack of growth
Incredible first job opportunity
Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Medford, MAJanuary 15, 2018
Wiley is an amazing place to work when you are just starting out. The office is well-lit and full of remarkable people.
However, the job itself can be incredible stressful. Some of the higher-ups don't seem to communicate well, so it's easy to get conflicting messages when working on projects. The role also seems to be shifting more towards sales, which I do not believe is appropriate for some of our societies or libraries.
The pay is also substandard and raises and promotions are limited.
Editorial assistants rarely stay for too long, but it is a great way to get office training and figure out how to stay afloat in a demanding role.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Low pay, stressful tasks
Relaxed environment
Market Solutions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJanuary 2, 2018
Wiley was a good place to work if you're looking for a slow paced work place. The managers were very nice and in general it was a no stress work environment.
I would love to do this job again
Direct Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2017
This was a great job I would like to do again, the trouble is finding out where! I was a direct marketing assistant where I coded email blasts for the company's marketing division. My only complaint is that the budget would not allow me to work full time. Otherwise, I would still be at Wiley Publishing.
Pros
Comfortable environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Ongoing restuctures
Digital Editor and Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2017
Too many organizational restructures to feel comfortable working at Wiley. Very focused on the bottom line but hasn't yet found the right business model for growth.
Nice place to work, good people around
Intern (Former Employee) –  HobokenDecember 2, 2017
Refurnished modern working space, nice people around. Good to work, free coffee and milk, you can have lunch at second floor. The company is facing with challenge of the transformation, need a lot of work to do.
Pros
Nice environment and people
Cons
Transformation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiley. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight