Wiley Employee Reviews

Perfect place for me then
Project editor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 31, 2018
I arrived with a long background in writing, editing, and research. So it was a perfect fit. I had had experience as an author working with publishers in New York, very good preparation for collaborating with authors engaged by Wiley. A very rewarding hitch. I left to pursue a publishing project on my own.
Currently in transformational status
DIRECTOR - SAP BUSINESS PROCESS LEAD (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 29, 2018
Lots of new leadership is bringing in much needed change. The company is trying hard to stay current and competitive within a very challenging industry.
Productive and fun place to work.
Mail and Reprographics Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 24, 2018
Good place to work- friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Good managers and staff.

Good place for advancement and a fine senior management staff.

All around very good Company.
Pros
Nice people to work for.
Fast Paced Customer Service
Team Lead, Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 21, 2018
Wiley has been a decent place to work until the outsourcing began. Management is fair. Culture was good. Job was very challenging and the people I worked with were great! PTO is a big perk.
Company going down
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 10, 2018
Not innovating, good people left, all old school people are running show, too many changes at the top, culture is analysis paralysis, very afraid to change
Productive and future-oriented company with a great culture.
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJuly 30, 2018
-A typical day consists of getting work done at my desk to here and there collaborating with colleagues in meeting rooms or lounge areas.
-I learned a great deal about publishing.
-Some of the best management I've had from a direct manager. However, sometimes may be hard to get in touch and through to the higher up managers.
-Workplace culture is phenomenal. Everyone will look to help you and the work/life balance is great too. I would consider it "lax", just get the job done.
-The hardest part of the job is continually trying to learn about the industry, sometimes on your own.
-The most enjoyable part of the job is traveling and getting to meet your customer and colleagues that you work with.
Pros
Work/Life balance, culture, travel
Cons
Pay, Advancement
Tech-focused company, stuck in the 90s.
Long time employee at Wiley (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJJuly 29, 2018
Wiley is pushing to be a leading publisher in technology and innovation. However, their staff is struggling by a lack of exposure and training on new material. It is clear that work-life balance is valued and they do offer generous PTO plans, based on grade level and years of experience. Over the years how much time off is available and to whom it is available, has become more challenging to locate. This raises transparency concerns by employees.

Incentive plans and number of required hours have shifted over the course of individuals' contracts without prior approval or forced consent. The constant restructuring has led to a lack of commitment from the highest levels of management. Those who are willing to push themselves, show up on time, or dedicate longer hours or produce a greater amount of completed work, are often not rewarded beyond a momentary bonus with small incentive. The lack of advancement in a company oversaturated with under qualified managers or mangers lacking in commitment, stagnates growth for others.
Pros
Great PTO and Health Benefits
Cons
Dated systems. No training. Poor management.
Good place to work.
Freelance AMA/APA Copyeditor (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 25, 2018
Everything about Wiley is nice; the people, the environment, the location, the view, the workspaces, the cafeteria, the coffee, the gym on the first floor, etc.
Lovely Job
Direct Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 29, 2018
I was a temporary direct marketing assistant for this publisher and really liked the job. I've always wanted to work in publishing in some capacity and it was interesting to see what books received the largest marketing budget.
Pros
Everything that's great about working for a publisher.
Cons
Small budget due to lull in publishing industry
Ups and downs
Associate Director of Publicity (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2018
For many years, I enjoyed working at Wiley. The last few years, however, were marked by turmoil in leadership. Lots of lay-offs and uncertainty was in the air which created general anxiety.
exhausting and technology challenged
Associate Director, Customer Data Governance (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 22, 2018
Wiley culture is very strange and difficult to navigate. Working long hours and demonstrating progress with key metrics is still not enough to allow a person to be respected and valued. The organization is not willing to change and evolve.
Cons
40 hour work week, lack of opportunities to move forward
productive place fun people to work around
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJMay 9, 2018
very hot in the summer. no ac. half hour lunch. you get 2 15min breaks. company closed down. technology is taking over. easy place to work for. good people around
Pros
free books
Cons
short breaks
struggling to adapt
Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMay 3, 2018
Wiley is rightfully proud of its 210 year history and culture of family leadership. Sadly, the intense pressures on the publishing industry in recent years have eroded much of Wiley's unique character. There has been dramatic turnover in senior management and leadership of the business units. The result has been too-frequent and poorly executed reorganizations, which have dampened morale, inhibited staff advancement and creativity, and fostered a 'survival of the self-interested' mentality.
Collaborative
Admin (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2018
Fairly close-knit group in each office. Frequent staff meetings to improve open communication. Recordings provided after for those not able to attend.
Not your typical Call Center
Senior Customer Care Rep (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2018
My typical day at work consists of so many different things. Wiley has tons of not only books but, products. We have online management systems, employer online assessments, employee online assessments, book companion sites. Here in customer service we also manage convention orders. The culture here is life/work balance. We only work 35 hour weeks and we start off with 4 weeks PTO. The hardest part of the job is multi tasking because it consist of not one or two projects at a time but possibly 3-5 tasks at a time. This is also the most enjoyable because it allows for the day to go by faster and it challenges you!
Great manager, terrible company
CONTENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJApril 8, 2018
Fortunately my team is great and my manager were exceptional but the direction and higher management of the company is horrible. The systems and processes do nothing but get in their own way. More often than not, I spent my time putting out fires and trying to figure out workarounds than doing my job. They have been spinning their wheels for years and don't seem to be able to get to the digital place they're reaching for.
Been a nightmare since Deltak was purchased by Wiley
Instructional Designer and Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IllinoisMarch 10, 2018
Was a great place to work before purchased by Wiley where it became a cash cow for Wiley. Many of the best people have left and the integrity of instructional design became unimportant.
Benefits
Great place to work for
Summer Intern - Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJMarch 8, 2018
Never a dull moment. It is like a technology hub. One can learn and participate as much as they want. I was fortunate to work as intern and hopefully I will be called in for a full time this summer.
Pros
Subsidized lunch, great environment and a good place to work
Cons
Actually none
Good office enviroment
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 1, 2018
I enjoyed the group that I worked with and was able to be flexible to keep busy. They were always willing to show me different aspects of working at Wiley.
Pros
Plenty of work and well compensated
Cons
Some of management had conflicts with each other in the open
Work review
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJFebruary 26, 2018
Excellent work experience - professional culture; supportive, helpful and interactive as needed, welcoming co-workers; flexible (if needed)consistent opportunity to work independently for task completion, enjoyable place to come for work, literally and personally, every day;
Pros
Professional culture, formal though casual dress code, corporate, access to material to facillitate task completion, professional lunchroom with beautiful view of New York City/Hudson River, pleasant commute
Cons
None noted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiley. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight