WILLIAM W. BACKUS HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not a supportive work environment
Staffing Coordinator/Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 28, 2018
Culture claims to be based on the book "Accountability Now." Upper management claims to buy in to it, but does not live it. Discretionary effort is encouraged, but not honored.
Pros
Good 401(k) program
Cons
Hostility is tolerated.
Average
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 16, 2018
-Wide variety of types of exams, you will learn a lot on the job
-Weekends and Overnight on call can be challenging
-Management taken over by a larger corporation
-Difficult to make changes within the department
-Great radiologists to work with
-Great team environment with other technologists
Cons
No significant raises/pay increases
Loved the office and atmosphere of the how we worked together as an office
Senior Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CT 06360April 6, 2018
I enjoy working for Backus Hospital. I follow up on insurance claims, verifying correct payments according to contracts. Daily phone calls to patients and insurance companies. I have also recently took a new position in the Project Management department due to a reorganization to SSO. I put in for this job in hopes to better myself and learn more about how the company runs. Unfortunately the job description that was given to us, and the actual position to not reflect each other. I am looking for better myself and use my skills to the best of my abilities.
Pros
Flexible when family issues arose/was able to make up time
Cons
Postions that were originally did not reglect actual responsibilities
Good job
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMarch 28, 2018
Overall its a good job.
Poor management, average pay rate but could be better.
Decent coworkers. However the morning shift tends to be filled with drama.
Pros
shift differential
Cons
low base pay
Fast paced but fun place to work.
Clinical Mammographer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTMarch 12, 2018
Managers are very personable and care about any concerns I had.
The other employees were very helpful and caring towards patients. The difficult part was getting used to hospital mergers and new computer systems. Training was very good
Feels like home
Registered Nurse Inpatient Psychiatric Unit (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CT 06360February 22, 2018
Love this place. Met alot of good people there and learned what team nursing really is here. Staff is always working together and helping each other learn and grow.
I enjoy working for Backus.
Registered Nurse, E1 Surgical (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTFebruary 1, 2018
A typical day at work is fast paced with a high patient census. I have learned organization, prioritization, collaboration, and excelled in my communication techniques.

Most difficult part of the job is not having enough time to spend with patients due to the fast pace of the surgical setting.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the continuity of care, and variability of the patients. I also enjoy precepting new nursing staff and students.
Fast paced
Staff Nurse Level (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTDecember 14, 2017
The staff was wonderful. Very helpful. Worked together always. Helped each other. Staff was highly educated. Some medical doctors were very cocky while others enjoyed teaching nurses.
Pros
trauma center
Cons
i had to relocate
Growing company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTNovember 24, 2017
While I was at Backus, it became an associate of Hartford Hospital and many jobs were redundant so I was let go (along with a good number of others).

I enjoyed doing my job there, I was the Administrative Assistant in Patient Care Service and tracking educational requirements for staff. I also was an assistant of committees that included creating agendas and taking minutes for distribution.
fast paced, low pay, stressful environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTNovember 15, 2017
Very fast paced environment with potential. High stress environment with unfair/low compensation. Little to no room for advancement. Being micromanaged on a daily basis is the most difficult part of the job currently.
Good place to work!
Emergency Departmartment Technician (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTSeptember 13, 2017
Good place to work over the last fifteen years. The pay raises were always 50 cents or higher up until 3 years ago after Hartford Health Care took over the Hospital. A lot of changes over the years not all were good for the employees.
Pros
always extra shifts to work if you want
Cons
High staff turnover
Definite ability to move up.
Monitor Technician/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 8, 2017
Working at Backus was a great learning experience. The staff and doctors were willing to take the time to explain/clarify questions. You start to accrue sick and vacation time after your first 2 weeks of employment.
Pros
Sick/vaca time accrued immediately
Great learning experinece
Physical Therapist - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTJune 8, 2017
This was a great first job. I worked with very knowledgeable therapists; PT, OT, and SLP and learned from all of them. We would typically start the day with a schedule of patients and determine the most efficient way to organize to minimize trips to various floors. I learned a lot of orthopedic procedures, neurological disorders, and cardiac conditions. I enjoyed seeing people get back and move on to the next step. It was often hard when you would come in the next day to see that a patient was deceased.
Pros
good benefits, great mentors
treatment of staff is poor
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 29, 2017
Staff not treated as a vital part of the organization. The focus is never on the patient but on how we can save more money. Parking is difficult. Cafeteria food is no good and very expensive.
Best place I have ever worked
IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTMarch 22, 2017
This was the best work experience I could have possibly had. During my time at Backus I was not only mentored to be a better analyst but also to be a better person. I worked with the best team. The culture was based on honesty and transparency. The work was innovative and futuristic.
Nice place to work
Patient Financial Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTDecember 1, 2016
Not much room for growth but the employees are friendly and the benefits are good. It was a little better before Hartford Healthcare bought us out.
Interactive, challenging work place with energetic and positive environment
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 17, 2016
William Backus Hospital is a mission driven organization that provides best healthcare facilities and services to the patients they serve. A typical day required relationship building with patients and taking charge of the laboratory for specimen processing. . As a member of the laboratory team, required daily interaction with the MD, Nurses, and other hospital staff to provide updates on patient. . I learned a great deal about organizing, staying ahead of the game, prioritizing, multitasking with accuracy and good work ethic. My co-workers and the management were all very supportive and knowledgeable which helped us clearly understand the overall direction the company needed to go. The toughest part of the job was the ever changing healthcare market and our ability to adapt to this market quickly and effectively. I enjoyed the creativity of working Backus Hospital.
Hometwon Hospital
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTJuly 5, 2016
Wondefull work staff and patient centered environment. Evidence based decisionmaking with patient care encouraged at all levels of employment. Great work enviro0nment and friendly staff and leadership who addresss all needs expressd in a timely manner.
Different required daily functions
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTMarch 10, 2016
Secure all hospital grounds. Assist with intoxicated patient. Secure patient valuables. Transport employees to their vehicles.
Its a Job
Emergency Room Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, CTNovember 1, 2015
Great place to work, compensation for work, team morale, benefits, retirement plan, lots of changes, bigger and more job opportunities now that Hartford owns the hospital.