Williamsburg James City County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stressful environment
Paraprofessional/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clara Byrd Baker ElementaryAugust 25, 2018
WJCC Schools is a stressful place to work and very fast paced. There is very little support for staff members and there are many employees that don't understand collaboration, although it is a district-wide policy to collaborate with colleagues. The salary is also extremely low for non-administrator positions, but most especially positions that do not require a degree such as a cafeteria worker, teaching assistants, special education assistants, and custodians. They do not pay a living wage to such employees.
Pros
Working with children and enriching their lives every day of the week.
Cons
Pay and non-affordable benefit packages.
Competitive Environment
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAAugust 5, 2018
I thought the WJCC School system was a very competitive environment amongst the teachers and administrators. The teachers have little control over what methods and techniques can be used in their classroom because the administration is interested in creating 'a sphere of innovation' that looks good on paper.
Cons
Teachers need help not new techniques.
Fast Paced,
School Bus Driver (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VANovember 23, 2018
I enjoyed working for WJCC Schools.It was fast paced, and room to advance if you wanted to.
The People were Friendly and Helpful.
The Kids and families were great.
Pros
extra work if you wanted it
Wonderful area to work in
High School SpEd (Former Employee) –  Lafayette High SchoolApril 9, 2018
I enjoyed working in Williamsburg. It is a nice area, has lots of opportunity for advancement, and the administration there is extremely supportive. A great collaborative environment.
Pros
Great school system
Cons
Large class sizes
Spending time with my students was very rewarding and fun.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 4, 2018
Great place to work, driving if you're stable in your career. Weekends and summer off. Lots of time to spend with family and friends. Love my students.
Pros
Had time to attend doctors appointments.
Cons
Got paid once a month.
A school district in decline
Tech Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 27, 2013
Have you ever worked for a company, that, from the top down, the Right Hand doesn't know what the Left Hand is doing... Literally.

Imagine a Personnel Director that hasn't a clue what their own Job Application looks like.

It doesn't matter one iota, what type of Employee, you are, or how good of a job you do... Last hired 1st fired.

You couldn't find a 'DEFINED' Procedural Document that defines anyones job(s), if you scoured the Earth, BUT, Everyone in Management, basically plays it as they see it, but no one sees the whole picture ((ON PURPOSE or by Practice (I don't know if they've ever bothered looking)).

Facing Yearly Lay-Offs depending on School Budgets, ONLY (last hired, first fired). Awarding the EXTREMELY LOUSY Performance of other employees (Drinking on the job... another LITERALLY sleeping on the job for at least 3 Years and doing NOTHING pertaining to his job, and Management KNEW and did nothing about it until... Throwing another Tech (me) under the bus, with no prior warning, expecting that Tech to clear up the ENTIRE Mess in less than 90 days, and then PROMOTING the lousy individual that could care less, by giving him the squared away Schools of the Tech that they threw under the bus.
Pros
benefits. other than that none.
Cons
see below
workplace culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 18, 2018
It is a great school system, but most get promoted based on who you know - there are "pockets" of "important people," and if you you dont play the game - you wont get what you want.
Pros
good students
Cons
central office
Williamsburg James City Co Schools
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VADecember 2, 2017
Typical day non stop and harassment too but I enjoyed working hard and being busy just could have done without the harassment and belittling.

This is what I learned This SCHOOL SYSTEM HAS THEIR CLICKS especially in the technology dept., if you are not a good ole boy forget it, they hate women in this field, and make you feel beneath them if you are not a man. I would have stayed with them but was treated very very unfairly and I have heard other women say the same. please know this to be true facts.

and Human resources does not do anything to assist, and I am not talking about being there for just a year or two more like 15, they loose good people that are efficient on time and always willing to stand up to the plate and try to be up to the standards of the male species. Take a look and see how many women are in the field now probably one or two at the most.

I loved loved loved this school system until I saw the real deal.
I hope they change their ways. but I doubt it

oh and btw they only hire yes people don't ever disagree or stand up for yourself. and the yes people are still there..................

Good thing I don't need a job and I can be truthful
watch them scramble to figure out what employee this was. SAD

Most enjoyable part of my job was the children, maybe this will remind them as to why we all are employed.... but maybe not
Pros
good benefits
Cons
must be in a click, must be able to handle severe critisiusm by men above you
questionable management
Routing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 5, 2017
organizational culture permits too much negativity
management and HR leave much to be desired
not a terrible place to work, but the pressure and the lack of professionalism among some tends to hurt morale
Love it
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 4, 2018
Great Place to work at especially the high school and middle school level. They require me to work a minimum four days out the month which in my opinion is not hard to accomplish.
Productive and well organized
Substitute Teacher (PRN) (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA 23185January 9, 2018
Great place to work and I am always trying to get a permanent, full-time position at Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools. The most enjoyable part of this job was the diversity and working with the children.
Pros
Options of what schools you would like to work
Cons
Did not have any full-time position available
productive workplace
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 4, 2017
Stressful at days
Pay not worth what you work for
Better benefits
The only good thing is that if you have small kids you can bring them with you on the bus
Pros
weekends off
Cons
benefits and pay
Public school
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAMarch 7, 2017
I began teaching in Virginia. I enjoyed working in a public school setting. I served on many committees and am a member of Phi Delta Kappa educational fraternity. I enjoyed being team leader in my school
Pros
Excellent educational schools
Cons
Low salary
Offensive
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAFebruary 19, 2017
I left this company feeling that I had been offended by the way that they handled a very important matter. I felt that things were stated by their representation that were very offensive and totally unprofessional
Cons
short or no breaks, poor management
Fast paced work environment
Second and Third grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 23, 2015
Teaching involved many skills from technology, team work, detailed research based plans, implementation of interesting and exciting lessons, daily counsel sessions and communication for parents and students. Additionally, teaching required flexibility as well as developing new plans to meet student needs. Finally, teaching required gentle and graceful communications as well as every type of skill imaginable.
Pros
Student growth and parent satisfaction
Cons
Long weekends and week nights working to complete required work.
Good school to work for
Monitor student (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAOctober 13, 2015
Great school. Staff and students equally good. Enjoyed the hours. Advancement or encouragement to advance is lacking.
Job Work/ Productive
Cafeteria Attendant (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJune 16, 2017
Productive and very balance also enjoyable.I enjoy working with the
kids and learning how to serve and taking temps for the food and
cleaning etc....
I was verbally harassed the last two months that I worked.
Speech and Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 5, 2012
I was verbally harassed and I decided that I did not have to deal with the abuse any longer so I resigned on March 1, 2012.
Pros
i loved the students and faculty i worked with. i was very much supported by the staff.
Cons
no breaks, no lunch time, no support from my principal, no support from my supervisoprs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Williamsburg James City County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Williamsburg James City County Public Schools Reviews by Location