Willis Towers Watson Employee Reviews

Analyst work
Lead Business Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 22, 2019
Lead Analyst and business work related to systems and implementations for clients and engagements. Programming / SQL / Implementations work for clients. I
One of the best places to work in the twin cities area!
Benefit Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 20, 2019
Best job I've had in the Cities thus far! Outstanding management; They were sure to not only tell you where you need improvement but also tell you where you excel. Great work environment; Located in the Normandale Business Park, there were plenty of restaurants to choose from including a cafeteria. There was a daycare center for employees with children, the entire aesthetic of the place was very nice... comfortable. Not to mention the job training itself was very well planned, informative and thorough. The only reason why I left there is because I was contracted for only six months. Two thumbs and two big toes up in my book!
Pros
Management, environment, benefits, hours, salary, weekly pay period, etc.
Cons
if there is any I cant think of them right now.
Looks good from outside but always in turmoil on the inside
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2019
As mentioned in many other reviews, the overwhelming negative at WTW is insular and egocentric leadership that makes decisions without consideration for employees. Yes, there are always people being randomly fired without notice and everyone knows they could be next. No, the language put out by the firm on values and inclusion-diversity is not put into practice. The overwhelming positive is you'll connect with good people while trying to survive in an unhealthy work environment.
Call Center for Medicare Secondary Insurance
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 20, 2019
Give information to retirees about their retirement benefits and answer questions about plans they have. Check on reimbursements and make appointments to talk about other plans they may want.
Pros
Helping people understand their insurance
Cons
Call center metrics
Pension and Benefits CSR
Benefits Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 19, 2019
Culture of the CSR department at WTW is largely determined by the company's decision to start everyone as contractors without benefits or a just wage. Variable contractor hours work for the company, not the employees. There is high turnover and CSRs did not seem to be valued by WTW. Opportunities for advancement out of the CSR or Benefits Specialist roles were nonexistent. LBGTQ and other diversity issues were shoved down the throats of conservative employees.
Pros
Good benefits once associate status reached, but these are being pared back.
Cons
Lack of concern for employees by the company from day one as a contractor without health insurance
Contract/temporary job for ABE
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2019
Thankful to have this position when I first arrived in San Diego from Illinois, through a recruiting agency, I was quickly thrown back into the health benefits arena for a couple of major companies for open enrollment season. The training was fast-paced, but abbreviated for speed and necessity. The managers were not overly friendly or accommodating and were micro-managers at best, very critical, eager to discipline, and not willing to help on most days. The call center position left little room for advancement in to the consulting side of WTW, which is what I actually envisioned while I worked there. This was disappointing as I realized there was no room for advancement and huge turnover within the organization. I realized that my contract was not going to be extended beyond the end of open enrollment season, so I resigned my position shortly before the ultimate termination date and moved onto another role outside the organization.
Pros
clean and modern office space with modern equipment and amenities
Cons
micro-managing bosses; low pay; always the threat of job loss; low department morale
The people made all the difference
Editor and Writer (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 19, 2019
What separated Willis Towers Watson from other employers was the team and managers I had the pleasure of working with and learning from over my tenure there. Work days were often busy, which meant they went fast, but our team was very committed, very strong and willing to help out when the workload was mounting and deadlines looming.
Pros
Great people, ability to work remotely
Fake
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mt. Laurel, NJFebruary 14, 2019
Those jerks could have told me if I wasn't learning quickly enough to their standards. I was totally "blindsided" when I got the call on a Wednesday morning that I was "let go." I had as perfect attendance as one could... Early most every day, but even that from 40 miles away didn't matter and no one had the nerve to just tell me that I wasn't up to their standards or whatever the case. My family was suddenly and harshly left without so much as a word as to why I was let go... just a routine Wednesday morning (to them, but not for me & my family...just sad...)
Pros
Cons
False hope (yeah, even as a contracted employee)
WTW management struggles to retain talent, then wonders why.
System Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Under compensate current employees until they put in two weeks notice, then magically offer salary increases and leadership roles to try and make them stay. WTW management is resistant to constructive criticism and feedback. Exit interviews turn into debates ("Here's why you're wrong" ) rather than learning experiences ("How can we do better?"). History of not promoting from within. Fun work environment, but a terrible place to grow a career.
Bad place to work
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 11, 2019
There was no guidance and i didnt understand my day to day functions as an employee and no one helped me. I was unbelievable, like it was a movie. Thank you

Want to know more about Willis Towers Watson?

Ask a question
Good starting company, wouldn't recommend sticking around
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 3, 2019
Work days are either very stressful or very boring. There is rarely a middle ground. Takes a while to learn material, don't feel like you get rewarded enough for it.
Pros
Laid back environment, people are friendly, coverage is good
Cons
Low Pay, high learning curve, Not enough support for ASA/FSA career path
No hours, second manager was terrible
CLIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (CONTRACTOR) (Former Employee) –  Carmel Valley, CAFebruary 1, 2019
Working on Amazon was great.. then I switched to commerica. The manager asked how we liked the knowledge base for that program. I answered honestly that it was hard to read. Ever since then my life at wtw was miserable. I couldn't advance despite doing a good job. My hours were cut. I was pulled into weekly meetings to tell me how terrible I was and when they ran out of logical reasons they just told me I was "um" twice on a 30min call and that was unacceptable. I eventually quit. The company itself is okay I guess but my second program was a joke. Be careful and make sure to kiss a lot of butt.
not productive
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 29, 2019
The job was nice while it lasted, but it didn't last how I wanted it to, due to the horrible management. There were no benefits, you just got an hourly pay of 15$ an hour.
Good place to get customer service experience
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Good place to get customer service experience. It's a good job for young people just leaving high school or college. Perfect for anyone needing call center experience on their resume.
Okay work place if you "stay in your place".
Office Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 23, 2019
This is a good place to work, if you get the opportunity to become a permanent employee. Many positions start you as a temporary employee, and/or promotions are granted from within the company. They pay well but the benefits are sub-par. There isn't a high level of job security because the practice nepotism and favoritism. Everyone is always on their toes, worried they may be let go because, people are fired without notice or reason. One day you come to work and your security badge doesn't work. They pack your things carelessly in a box and mail them to you (or not). Management are all friends and in cahoots with each other (Think forming alliances for power and manipulation). There's a lot of pettiness and gossiping, and backstabbing, so beware! Employees are treated okay, with PTO , free food and drinks regularly, multiple office pantries, but that's all provided from corporate. The actual treatment you receive from superiors on-site boarders dehumanizing. Some people won't even look at you or use your name when speaking. HR may or may not help you.
Pros
Free food, good pay, benefits, Pto, close bonds with co-workers
Cons
Management and work culture
Bad experience in Nashville
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 22, 2019
Micro Management at its finest! I have worked for (6) companies over the course of my career, and my experience with WTW was one of the worst career choices ever. Within my first 30 days of employment, I received about 4 hours of systems training with team members and about 2 hours of training with the Team Lead. MICRO-MANAGEMENT to the point of harassment. You better not be (1) minute late in the morning, back from break, lunch, etc. or it will be documented and reported. Do not leave work (1) minute early or it will be recorded as an occurrence. Each tardy is an occurrence. Get (6) in a 12 month period and it is a written warning. Management expected for you to be at your work area 15 minutes prior to your start time. But do not clock in until your shift starts. What? Is that legal by Labor laws? If you are late for ANY reason, you have to personally call Management and give a detailed explanation as to why. Management will even discuss and disclose personal employee information with the team! Highly unethical and unprofessional behavior. Extreme backstabbing and complaining by employees and Management created an unbearably hostile and low morale work environment. Most employees were like robots and rarely said a word except with their buddies. Say more than Good Morning and it becomes a MAJOR issue for everyone. Company promotes ethics, respect, teamwork, integrity, world-class training, work/life balance, etc. but NOT TRUE at least in Nashville. EVERYTHING is tracked and recorded. I did encounter a few very nice employees in other departments. Maybe my  more... experience would have been different in another department not sure. I left my position with WTW and consider myself fortunate to have done so.  less
Pros
location, cafe, lots of benefit choices
Cons
Management, lack of training, constant computer issues with no resolution
Not All Locations are the Same
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 21, 2019
The only way in to the service center is through a temporary agency. I began working for Willis Towers Watson in at the Pittsburgh branch. My experience there was amazing. The staff, and daily operations of the office always seemed to be on point. There seemed to be plenty of staff to assist, and enough work to go around. Not too much, and not too little. Fortunately, I was able to advance from a temporary staff member to a more full time role. At this time, Willis Towers Watson was expanding to Richardson, TX. along with Tempe AZ. I was able to relocate to the newly expanded Tempe AZ. location. Upon arrival the office was still under construction. Management in Tempe was clueless. After a few months there were several occasions where managers didn't know my name, and these were people I worked with closely. Overall the culture at Willis Towers Watson is one for people who work like machines. The company expresses little care for personal situations, and demands expectations are met regardless of what's happening to you.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Job Security
Cons
Work Life Balance, Management, Job Culture
Stimulating environment required attention to detail
Contingent worker from Randstad Services (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92130January 18, 2019
Challenging work environment dealing with complex issues related to helping client employees (e.g., Amazon) choose benefits for the year. Unfortunately, a serious accident rendered me unable to continue with employment there.
N/a
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJJanuary 17, 2019
It was a decent job. My contract was ended because I was out sick too many days in a row. The pay was decent for the area. A lot better than most call centers offer.
Benefits platform product role
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2019
You could do worse than WTW and you could do better. Some teams are phenomenal and would be 4/5 or 5/5 stars. Most aren't and that means that even if your team is amazing, you work with other people who are not great. Some of them are down right terrible.

Opportunity to exceed expectations will depend on the team but BDA primarily is a great place to be. The benefits aren't the best but they are not the worst. WTW is oddly like that. The reason is due to an easy workload. No one at job level 58 or above (less senior) works much more than 40 hrs/wk unless something major is happening or their looking for some advancement.

FLEXIBILITY
You can work out of any WTW office or from home if your team is more relaxed.

PTO
Everyone gets 15 days of PTO until they work for WTW more than 5 years. There is a pension if you blindly want to sign your life away for 20 years of mediocrity.

SALARY
Salary at various job levels is based on what you come in at regardless of if you are at the low or high of your role's salary band. This tends to be non-negotiable so come in strong if you plan on working here. WTW will never bring you up to the industry standard if they got you at a steal. You will have to determine if your supervisor will fight for you to get a match from an outside offer. Raises and matching outside offers are different pools of money for teams.

NEGOTIATING JOB OFFER
There is nothing outside of base and bonus that can be negotiated barring extenuating circumstances.

JOB LEVELING
Product managers are job level 58. Senior product managers are job level 53. Associate
  more... director product managers are job level 48. Directors of product are job level 43.

SUMMARY
Despite what it sounds like, I actually enjoy what I do here and I am using this as leverage for my next role. I could see myself leaving and eventually entertaining a return because of the lax schedule. Your experience at WTW will ultimately depend on the team you work with (aka pay attention to supervisor). It's a huge company and some team cultures really work while others are toxic with little to write home about.
Pros
Relatively relaxed with ample opportunity to go above and beyond
Cons
Salary, vision

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Willis Towers Watson. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

58%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss