Wills Group

Wills Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
Wills Group selected this as a representative review
Retired from The Wills Group after nearly 20 years of service: Family atmosphere Excellent salary plus bonus structure Defined benefits programs A learning company A great place to build a career
Pros
Flexible work hours remote positions available
Cons
Sometimes work/life balance out of sync but company is making efforts to improve
Even with the pandemic going on, this company has done a great job taking care of its employees. At the office the managers have been extremely flexible and communicate on a regular basis with employees. They are very employee friendly while at the same time doing a great job running the business. I would highly recommend working there.
Pros
Flexibility, Opportunity to Learn and Grow, Stable Business
Cons
May try to do too many things at once
A nice place to work located in beautiful southern Maryland they offer excellent benefits and pay structure opportunities for growth and your voice can be heard
The number of unqualified individuals in management roles at this company is staggering. Within one week, you’ll be saying to yourself “what in the world is going on here?” They have money and throw it around if you’re lucky enough to land in the right position. If you crave structure and purpose, this is definitely not the place for you. I don’t know how it just keeps going and going. Say yes a lot - don’t cause a fuss and sit back and collect an easy paycheck if you can stomach that kind of life
The executive leadership is extremely fair, the pay is above average, and I was able to work on interesting projects with senior leadership in the firm.
All companies should have maternity/paternity leave. Good that they have this now. They also let some workers work remotely. That is helpful if you can do that.
The Wills Group Culture has unfortunately been neglected by current management and is reflected in the downward spiral of employee morale. Promotions with current employees are based on favoritism not actual job performance.
Pros
pay vs location
Cons
management
I was a consultant working at the company. I really enjoyed my time working there. They have good people to work with and the manager of my area was pleasant and helpful. There were lots of projects to work on, and the culture was family friendly.
Pros
Family oriented environment, liked the people I worked with, challenging work assignments
Cons
Maybe trying to do too many things at once, but definitely a desire to grow
The company is very well managed and is very involved in the local community. The people you work with are for the most part helpful and friendly, and the company will focus on your development and growth. Management cares about employees as it is a family owned company. Compensation is very fair, and they have an excellent 401k program to save for retirement - one of the best I have ever seen. The company is about to move to a modern new office which should make the working environment even better. And for those who live in the DC metro area, it's basically a reverse commute, so you're not in traffic with everyone else on the beltway. The company is in growth mode, and adding new Dash In stores around the area. All in all, it's a very good place to work.
Pros
Family oriented culture, focus on growth and development, very fair compensation, easy commute
Cons
Somewhat out of the way in La Plata, Maryland
The company is expanding the corporate footprint of Dash In stores providing for significant opportunities for growth and development on the store leadership team. The rapid pace of new store openings in the last year doubled the number of new employees, creating 20 new store leadership roles. Anyone looking for a career in retail with exponential room for growth should look at Dash In. Additionally the company has a commitment to community service that impacts thousands of people through three states.
Pros
Great growth potential
Cons
With new store openings change is inevitable, requiring everyone to be adaptable
I was able to learn quite a bit in my job. Was given lots of responsibility quickly and had a good relationship with my manager and co-workers. Working there definitely helped me to grow my career. People are friendly and there is definitely a family atmosphere in the office. They were working hard to make it an even better place to work. The company is very financially sound and growing.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, dedicated co-workers, professional environment
Cons
Always busy, but that can be a good thing
I enjoyed working at the Wills Group (also known as Dash In and SMO). I had a very good manager who gave me challenging work assignments and helped me grow. The other employees in my department were friendly and helpful. It was a good team atmosphere. The senior leaders were accessible and engaging. It was a very well run company with a family friendly environment. The pay was very good and the benefits were above average. A good place to work overall.
Pros
Pay and benefits were very competitive
Cons
Typical growing pains associated with opening new stores
The Wills Group is a learning organization. If you are looking to grow a career, look no further! While the company is locally based, family run company, there are a number of similarities to that of a large public company. The company truly cares for employees, customers, and the communities that it serves. The company offers a fantastic tuition reimbursement program, and 401K. If you are coming from DC or NOVA, the reverse commute is wonderful. The people that work for the company are full of passion and leadership. If you are someone who likes challenges, applying yourself, and hard work, this organization will be a match for you and your future career. You need to be real go getter, to make in this organization. Everyone here is working toward a shared and common goal, you need to be prepared to work in a team environment to be successful in the organization. If you are looking to just push the time clock, this is not the place for you.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, 401K
Cons
Resourcing that meets growth needs
The company is in growth mode and evolving every day. There are lots of opportunities to improve how the work is done by being creative and innovative. I really like the family atmosphere, and the ability to be a part of a team that is making a difference. A typical day goes very quickly, and there is always more to do. The management is supportive, and we have recently been asked to create both personal and professional development goals. In the very near future we are moving to a brand new corporate office here in La Plata. By far the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you work with. We celebrate birthdays and special events which helps us to get to know each other better. While no company is perfect, I believe the leaders here are trying to make it a better place for everyone. And we are very active in community engagement which makes it feel like we're giving back to those in need.
Overall the store is okay! It's a good part time job for high schoolers or just want a Lil bit of extra money. Co workers are alot of fun and you will get along with very well.
I had a manager who was just ok. They had an ok attitude, but was already jaded by the company. Everyone is overworked. Hard work is not rewarded or even acknowledged. There's no transparency between subordinates and management. My actual job duties did not match up to my expectations during the interview process. The entire company is petty and catty. One mistake in this company means your demise. They have secret meetings about you, the performance evaluation system is a JOKE and unprofessional. If you are a great candidate with career goals and aspirations, DO NOT WORK HERE, people like you wont make it. They look to hire the best of the best, but don't do anything to keep those employees. The CEO is very nice and personable, but he's stuck in his ways. This company still operates like it's 1990. HR has made some headway with updated processes and procedures, but seems to fail when it comes to communication and roll outs. There's no culture, no one is happy or excited tho work there. There are good people there, but you probably won't ever meet them.
Pros
401k, flexible schedule
Cons
Management, location, culture, transparency, communication
Good people are let go for trivial reasons. All while they have meetings about how to keep good people around. Good techs don’t last. They run people into the ground shamelessly. Looking for new employment
Pros
Local work, company vehicle, 401k
Cons
Dispatch, tune ups
Took position as a means to diversify my experience to potentially move to another industry. Met great people and Franchisees along the way... Very interesting industry...just wasn't for me... Would have remained had I was given the chance to move into the gasoline side of the business...
Pros
Stable
Cons
Franchise Process
Very political. No room for growth. Horrible management. Poor communication and no true leadership. Extremely archaic -- you have to perform "magic" to get what you need. The office is not ADA accessible either. There is no elevator.
Pros
Compensation, Free Dash In coffee at the corporate office
Cons
No work/life balance. Not a realistic work environment.
Our company growth has been tremendous over the past 20 years. With the growth, there has been a lot of change. With change, there is stress. But the company is working hard on addressing this and truly cares for it's employees. There is new leadership in place, in many parts of the company, and they are focused on employees more than ever. The benefits and pay are very competitive. The opportunity to work hard and show your skills are endless. This has provided a lot of opportunity for advancement and recognition for a number of people in the company.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Wants to grow and expand the business; community focused
Cons
You have to work hard, can be stressful at times
I was treated like scum for a year then let go. You're only a number here. Poor management, high turnover. The employees are jerks, never heard anything good about them.
  1. Employee Reviews