Willy's Mexicana Grill Employee Reviews

Great Work/life balance
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, GAOctober 30, 2018
Overall a very fun company to work for. Laid back environment. Which can be a gift and a curse. Too many second chance opportunities given. Training program is only five weeks but very efficient.
Pros
Free meals, flexible schedule, relaxed environment
Benefits
n/a
Catering General Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2018
While their are many opportunities for a better Willys. They seem to not be able to get it right. Get better internal advancement. Appreciate great people that can benefit culture.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
No advancement.
An excellent place to start a job
General Manager/ Area Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2018
The company is moving in the right direction. Strong culture and firm management. The best part of the job is that everybody there is a family and look at you as a family. Great environment and good benefits.
Pros
free food
Cons
short brakes
Fun work place
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 22, 2018
The day goes by pretty fast on most days because were always busy, I like it personally. The company has good discounts for the employees, and the pay is pretty fare.
Fun, fast paced, weekends and holidays off.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgia State UniversityMarch 6, 2013
Willy's Mexicana Grill is a fun, fast paced and a great stepping stone to gain good customer service, and management skills. In some stores you get to have weekends and holidays off, Health and dental insurance You receive a week paid vacation after 6 months of full-time employment as part of the management team. All food is made fresh daily, so you get a chance to enhance your culinary abilities. It is family owned. They grow about 1 to 2 stores a year. It is big enough not to be a mom and pops chain, but small enough not to be a corporate conglomerate.
Pros
weekends and holidays off, free lunch, health and dental insurance, paid vacations
Cons
hires inexperienced team members, owe days that you miss excused, low pay for team members, required to work events outside of work week. always on call, not told this when hired. improper reviews by upper management for promotion or raise.
Very fun place to work. Everyone is very chill and nice.
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 10, 2018
This was my first job and I absolutely loved it, everyone was fun,nice, and jokes a lot. It was fast paced but not too crazy. I would go back if I could.
It was cool
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAJuly 15, 2018
It was cool enjoyed the staff and amazing food. Customers was fair i really dont think i will work there again though pay was ok not really enough for someone thats not stable in life.
average
Cook (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2018
This employer is just about average. I have nothing remarkable to say about the company. It was an acceptable company. I worked there for a period of time in 2017.
Hostile environment
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Georgia State UniversityMarch 29, 2018
Poor Management,poor food quality, doesn't go by company guidelines,they treat Blacks different from the Other worker's, I worked for them for 4years.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
over worked
Cook (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2018
My experience at willy's was ok at first. I was working there for about a year until they changed managers and everything went down hill from there. Willys on hammond dr have serious work to do and need to pay their workers what they deserve for their time of being there and their hard work.
Not my favorite job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAMay 6, 2018
A lot of work to do for minimum wage. As someone who has been working in the food industry for the past 4 years, this was my least favorite restaurant to work at.
Pros
discounted food
Cons
Didn't leave until 10:30 to 11:30 at night
Wonderful concept, fast paced, plenty of room for advancement
Senior Assistant Manager/Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2017
Loved Everything about working here.
Cant keep up working long hours, nights and weekends anymore. Too much stress, it's effecting my personal life.
Pros
Free meal, health insurance, small company, small cooperate office (personable)
Cons
High turnover in management and cooperate
Assistant Manager with Willy's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2018
I was with the Willy's family for two years. Started as a cashier and worked my way up to Assistant Manager. Great group of people to work with. Love that it is local. Willy is a really great guy!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 12, 2018
The managers are friendly and understanding and work with you. I like my coworkers and the customers the best. It is like a family atmosphere and they accept you right away. The company sells great food and has very loyal customers.
Pros
Customers, Food, Managers
Energetic Atmosphere
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 10, 2012
Working at Willy's provided me with an opportunity to gain insight into another culture, learn how to sustain relationships with employees and the public, inventory management, purchasing and ordering, as well as quality control.

We worked long hours but kept a pleasant appeal about ourselves at all times because that's what our clients expected....a friendly environment that gives them exactly what they need when they asks.

The management team was supportive and had great training methods. If we didn't know something, we felt more than comfortable asking, and the answer was readily available.
Pros
free food, great clients
Cons
long work hours which left little time for family, low to medium pay
good place to work at
Cashier/ Food preparer (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GANovember 3, 2016
Depending on what location you work at, you get raises and reviews when you're supposed to. Also, the work is hard for what you get paid for, but you do get tips which makes up for it.
Okay employer to work for.
Prep (Current Employee) –  ViningsMarch 5, 2014
I work literally 8 hours a day and only get a 15 minute break. Managers are cool. Enjoyed to cheese dip sauce. Typical day at work is being busy 90% of the time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
Cashier/beginner
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 12, 2017
My first position was as a cashier but the manager wanted to train me as a cook. In the mornings, you have to help set up before actual opening hours. It consists of just setting up the dining area( tables, chairs, salsas, etc). Overall, it is a comfortable but fast paced environment.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management varies
Don't work here!!
Prep (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAApril 9, 2017
I worked there for 6 months before quitting all together. Training was rushed, most employees are rude, and the workload before opening was entirely too much to do alone. The turnover rate at this particular store is very high (this includes management). The best workers were fired due to very minute and confusing reasons that are beyond their control, while the poor workers were strung along because of their longevity. Others would either quit, or just stop showing up to work. Management is very condescending and rude at times. Directions are never clear. Unless you request a weekend or two off, you don't get weekends off. They'll hold you over your scheduled shift to do other's work. If you like breaks, then this is not the job for you. If you can't get your prep done before 11 a.m, then you won't be able to eat. They don't care about your well being. There's no such thing as a personal life nor a time to breathe at this place. I don't know how it is now because it's been a little over a month since I've worked there, but I just know from my experience, it was horrible. It's a great job if you're not working their full-time; maybe weekends. Other than that, don't work here.
Pros
Free lunch, 50% meals off the clock
Cons
Little to no breaks, rude staff.
Fun and Cultural Workplace.
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hapeville, GAJuly 28, 2015
A typical work day at Willy's is very face paced. From the time you clock in there's something to do. That's ultimately what I loved the most. I learned more Spanish terms, learned more into the culture of Spanish personals. The management at times has its down but it's nothing you can't manage. The workers are very different from what you'll think but it's nothing overwhelming. The hardest part of the day is taking a break, because its so busy breaks often get shortened. On the other hand my favorite part of the job would to be cleaning the cold table. I love restocking and organizing things so it fits me.
Pros
Free Lunch.
Cons
Short Breaks.