WilmerHale Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Brilliant people, friendly environment, high profile cases
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2017
The firm is teeming with intellectual firepower and superstar attorneys, and tends to attract very high profile clients and "bet the firm"/existential matters. Its securities, litigation and regulatory practices are unsurpassed, although its transactional work lags behind (probably due to the firm's high rates). Given the vast amount of talent, experience, work ethic and academic pedigree, it's surprising just how incredibly friendly and teamwork-oriented the firm manages to be.

The culture is very strong and widespread, and those that don't fit tend to transition out. While very friendly and encouraging, partners also have extremely high standards and subpar work simply isn't tolerated. The words "no" and "infeasible" are seldom heard around the office, and everyone on staff has a can-do, high service quality attitude. Expect some stress and long hours, but not more than at other top firms.

The buildings/facilities are amazing, even awe-inspiring, but offices and hallways are closed off, thus leading to a feeling of isolation, and even desolation when you factor in the amount of people who spend a fraction of their time working remotely or are traveling. You won't find a better cafeteria or workplace gym in DC, but there are few areas for people to congregate or socialize throughout the day.
Temporary Assignment
Legal Floater Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2017
This was a temp assignment and I was there for only 6 months. Can't really give a review on this company because I wasn't there long enough to gather more information to provide to you.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great learning experience
Summer Leadership Institute (SLI) Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2017
Learned about law firms and law in general.
Engaged in conversations with attorneys, and law students while working.
Attended meetings and lunches with professionals.
creative productive environment with talented people
Computer Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2016
a funny fast paced, unpredictable workplace with talented people, creative productive environment with opportunity to learn and advance.
Strong Firm
Senior Legal Assistant, Antitrust Practice Group (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working at WilmerHale. I liked the attorneys for whom I worked and felt fortunate to be on a team with such kind and supportive lawyers. Work life balance was not necessarily that good as I believe that this is the case in the legal industry.
Excellent place to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2016
Typical day at work was assisting Partners, Associates in the Corporate Department. Top-notch environment, with top-notch management. Very organized, with organized hierarchial structure. The hardest part of the job was no growth opportunities. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was just being apart of the WilmerHale culture/environment as an integral and valuable employee. It explains why I stayed up to 4 years.
Pros
Free food (be careful with that lol!), free coffee, teas, training programs.
Cons
No growth opportunities, but as they've moved to a new location in Ground Zero, I now see that it has changed for the better.
Great starting point for my future IT endeavors
Year Up Intern - Workplace Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2016
My time here at WilmerHale will be one of the most memorable experiences I've had when it comes to my job history. The IS (Information Services) team that I've had the privilege of working with has been extremely supportive and encouraging when it comes to me wanting to further enhance my technical skills outside of our daily routine.
The IT staff made me feel like I was family
IT intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2016
During my time at WilmerHale I learned so many skills and traits that I thought I would never learned. Because of my time as an intern at this great law firm I was able to obtain the necessary skills I will need in the IT world.
Feeling Appreciated
Conference Room Planner (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 8, 2016
This is a wonderful place of employment and they certainly do make their staff feel appreciated. Their senior staff does a great job of keeping all staff informed of good and bad happenings and events taking place within the firm.
A Nice Place to Work, with a Few Problems
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Business Services CenterJanuary 16, 2016
WilmerHale's Business Service Center in Dayton, Ohio is a nice place to work. The pay is good, and I have heard that the benefits are good (I worked as a full-time temp without benefits). The people working there are some of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever worked with. However, there seems to be a significant amount of work needed to be completed after-hours, and WilmerHale expects its employees to stay after-hours on very short notice. The management staff in individual departments is fantastic, and every manager is very friendly. Many positions at this office require significant communication with legal staff at WilmerHale offices around the world. Some of that staff (partners, associates, and professional staff) seem to give the impression that dealing with the Dayton office is a hassle, and are sometimes not friendly. Also, there is very little opportunity for advancement. Overall, this is a nice place to work if these issues are not a problem for you.
Pros
Good Compensation, Firm Culture, Friendly Nature of Co-Workers
Cons
After-Hours Requirements on Short-Notice, Unfriendly Employees in other Offices, Few Opportunities for Advancement
Wilmerhale
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Working at WilmerHale afforded me the opportunity to work with a handful of wonderful individuals. The staff and the outside resources make the company a pleasant environment with moments of serious work productions but constant enjoyable laughter to help us through our day to day demands. I have no regrets working for the firm. It was an opportunity that afforded a learning position with the benefits of making lifelong friends.
Pros
Benefits package. Wonderful staff.
Cons
Changes in the HR Department have brought forth a negative environment, this in turn has taken employee morale to its lowest degree.
Good firm with good people.
Counsel (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
As far as large firms go, this is one of the best. Management can sometimes be disconnected and does not always communicate effectively. The work is good and the hours are usually reasonable.
Good Company with good benefits and work environment
IDS Coordinator/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Kettering, OHMay 27, 2015
A typical day involves reviewing emails and prioritizing assignments for the day by due date. Then proceeding to prepare the needed documentation and research for the day.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Room for advancement is very limited
Very positive, inviting, and welcoming
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2015
A typical day included going to class in the morning with renowned professors, lawyers and attorneys. In the afternoon organizing conference rooms with the Operations department. My manager was positive, supportive and taught us all about corporations. My coworkers were cooporative, and friendly at all times.

Hardest part about the job was leaving, obtaining a job of that status is hard in the real world, so being there and receiving that opportunity was great.

Most enjoyable part was being able to learn new things from new teachers each day as a part of our work curriculum and be paid for it.
Pros
Free education, Strong experience, certified training, friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
temporary
Amazing place to work
IS Support Specialist- Intern (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 6, 2015
Working here gave me the knowledge I needed to advance in my career as an IT Technician. I worked doing both level 1, 2, and AV support for our customers.
Excellent Place to Work
Client Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 29, 2014
This by far was the best place I have ever worked. The firm treats each and every employee with great respect and the management within the finance department is second to none. If you have the opportunity to work here....take it!!
Horrible Management/Incompetent staff
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 25, 2014
IP Department is a mess. People getting hired and fired on a regular basis. Horrible management and complete disregard for the truth. I would not recommend this position as the prior assistant was threatened to be terminated so she quit. Run and don't look back.
my work summary
Temporary Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2014
Temporary Research Coordinator:
Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan Assistance
Provided basic reference
Overall a great company.
Administrative Assistant & Notary Public (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2014
A great company with excellent benefits. They have socials for the employees on a monthly basis, as well as other benefits.
Productive and interesting work environment
Professional Development & Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with all of the people throughout the firm.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WilmerHale. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss