Wilson-McShane Corporation Employee Reviews

Not What It Seems To Be
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 8, 2018
Worked in claims in Kansas City office. Understaffed. One manager for 15 employees. No proper training or feedback on job performance. Job involved what would be three separate positions at another company. They have no customer service department so you will be on the phone most of the day and not have time to get your "real" job done. Half the Kansas City office are new employees forced to train themselves. Management not available and not helpful. Not a good place to work at this time.
Pros
Good health benefits.
Cons
Poor management, horrible training, heavy workload, no feedback.
Fastpaced fun enviroment to work in
Accounts Recievable (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 29, 2018
I really enjoy my day to day work at Wilson-McShane Corporation. Everyone here is easy to get a long with and it seems like we are all a big family.

The company is starting to grow at a pretty fast pace but management still seems to find a way for you not to get lost in all that's going on. They do a good job at the little things like Christmas bonuses, Treats, and even sometimes letting us leave a little early on Fridays.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay, good time off
Cons
Family coverage is expensive, not really any flexibility on working hours
Drama Drama Drama
Third Party Admin (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 26, 2018
Poor management, clueless management, poor decision making. Unfortunately, this company believes it is making good sound decisions, but with blinders on, they do not look at the revolving door twirling around them.
Management Supports-but very understaffed
ACCOUNTANT/BOOKKEEPING (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 11, 2018
Overall Management is good. Recently there have been a lot of acquisitions and employee departures, therefore, many of the departments are currently understaffed.
Pros
401k Match, benefits, vacation, sick time
Cons
no breaks-just lunch, understaffed
Great Opportunity
Pension Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 2, 2018
Really enjoyed working at Wilson-McShane. Great benefits package as well as management. If you are looking to build a career path you definitely will have the opportunity here (if you have interest in this LOB). The management staff is amazing and very supportive of their team.
Things have changed
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 11, 2018
Management changes that have been done in the company have been a bad choice. Lots of stressed people and no appreciation from anyone. Everyone is over worked.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Management, work load
Fast paced, high energy office.
Payroll Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 23, 2018
This position offered me the opportunity to travel across the country. I never watched the clock, during the day. I enjoyed working with the client very much. Their care and concern for their people matched mine and my team's.
Great team and fun outgoing environment
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 28, 2018
Good company to work for and good benefits offered. Outgoing team members and management constant feedback provided for growth. Pay rate is awesome and work schedule is good.
Pros
Monday through Friday employment
Cons
No overtime
Great company but little advancement opportunities
Pension Benefit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 28, 2017
I really enjoy working at Wilson-McShane for the most part. I do not hate my job by any means. Many of the basic positions here are union positions. This has its benefits like strict work hours - you know when you work and do not have to worry about having to stay late ever. But, the fact that my position is unionized leaves little room for any advancement or raises based on job performance. For example, one person may be doing twice the work as another because of the funds that they are assigned work with but you will always be paid the same.

Managers within the company are hit and miss I've discovered. While they are all very knowledgeable at their jobs, some lack certain leadership qualities that are necessary in such a role. Certain managers will go to bat for their group and give them extra leeway regarding time off, while other managers just say it is out of their hands. Again, as a union, you would think this should be the same across the board but it is not.

The work environment is friendly and incredibly accommodating to specific needs. The owners provide little extra bonuses like occasionally letting everyone leave a few minutes early on Friday's, turkey bonus on thanksgiving, and even still dole out holiday bonuses. They legitimately try to keep their employees happy.
Pros
small company feel, friendly staff, relaxed environment
Cons
union, lack of advancement opportunities, some managers lack leadership
Good
Pension Trust Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KansasJune 19, 2014
Hourly employees get 1 hour lunch breaks only, no breaks other than that, paid or unpaid. Other than not being used to that, that they have been great to work for.
Good relationship with employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2013
I enjoy working with my employees. My day is usually filled with assisting members, providers and supporting my staff.
I previously served as a trainer in the insurance industry, and knew the complete workflow of the health insurance business, but working for unions has provided me with first hand involvement in each area. As a manager, I have had the opportunity to study different personalities and have learned to respond to each one accordingly. I have been allowed to work independently without direct supervision, due to the offsite location of my manager. Recently, I released an employee, which I consider fairly difficult due to the situation of the economy. My most enjoyable moments are employee recognitions after a demanding situation (ie, mandatory overtime).
Pros
salary and company provided insurance
Cons
being laid-off
Excellent Pay and benefits
File Clerk / Office Support (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 22, 2012
Fast paced environment where I learned to better organize and multi-task. Management was usually helpful. I enjoyed working with most of the employee's, it is mostly women based. The hardest part of this job was supporting everyone and keeping up with the pace. The most enjoyable part of working for this company was fast paced so the day went quickly, excellent pay and benefits, and the company dinners.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
dependent medical coverage very expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilson-McShane Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Wilson-McShane Corporation Reviews by Location