Wilson County Schools Employee Reviews

Excellent Employment opportunity
Child Nutrition Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJuly 3, 2019
Enjoyed the twenty-five + years spent working in food service with Wilson County School service. Great room for advancement. Steady work and equal amount of time off
Needs Transformation
Educator (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJune 24, 2019
The state department needs to step in and transform the schools from the school level on up. The community for each school is different; therefore, the one type fits all is not acceptable for student improvement.
Nice environment, no pressure, and lead teachers acknowledged their assistant teachers.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCJune 18, 2019
Pay did match responsibilities, but overall productive workplace. Learned several things to be a successful co-teacher and influential to school-aged children.
Pros
Not a stressful environment and great teachers/management.
Cons
Did not receive 100% of pay and bonuses were applicable in the beginning, then it was not given at all.
Productive and enjoy working with children and staff
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCJune 18, 2019
A typical day at work is looking forward to working with the children. I have learned to be patient and treat each child the same. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see each child succeed.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks
Good district to work for.
Mt. Juliet High School, SpEd Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNJune 17, 2019
As with any teaching position, it takes a team. Many were team players, others not so much. Students are respectful compared to other districts. Parents are supportive.
Pros
Pay, pay increases, hours, paid health insurance, free employee clinic
Cons
Lack of collaborative planning, poor communication
Great hours, okay pay. Management didn't back you up or follow through on things he agreed to do.
ISS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon High SchoolJune 16, 2019
Overall a good job if you weren't the sole supporter of a family. The pay was okay. Worked One high school that had a a lot of unhappy teachers due to principal not following through on things. Also worked as a sub and enjoyed that. You can pick which school you want to work in and when you want yo work.
Demanding Workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJune 4, 2019
A typical day at this LEA consisted of daily meetings during teacher planning times. These meetings lasted the whole period that students were out of the classroom leaving teachers no time to plan daily.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lack of planning time
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Juliet, TNJune 4, 2019
I love working for Wilson County Schools, but the pay is not competitive with surrounding districts. The pay is approximately $4 less per hour than the surrounding districts.
Productive place to work
Substitute Teacher/Teacher Assist (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCMay 14, 2019
A typical day at work was to assist kids arrival safely.
Follow my daily planning log and give any extra help to the children that need it . Offers after school tutoring sessions for the kids that are struggling. finish my day following planning.
Review of a specific school (mindset)
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCApril 19, 2019
Not enough resources or support from administration to provide students with their specific instructional needs or social emotional needs. Highly stressful environment. Leadership in school was poor. Teachers did not work as a team; rather more in isolation. Was not a fair or friendly working environment, therefore being productive by many became stagnant. Student achievement and growth remained low in this particular school for many years.
Community oriented
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCApril 10, 2019
Friendly, supportive, community oriented. Staff, students and families were supported. Student achievement/performance given top priority. Good environment in which to work.
Wilson County Schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lucama, NCMarch 31, 2019
I was not impressed with the culture of the schools or the district office. That is not to say that many people do enjoy working for Wilson County Schools for their entire career, but overall it just wasn't for me.
Not full time
Teacher Substitute (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNFebruary 21, 2019
Not structured enough for subs because they are contracted out now. There isn't enough pay for what is required. No sick pay or vacation pay. No snow day or sick pay when kids are out.
Great Collaboration
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 21, 2019
Great family atmosphere with the teachers. Everyone works well together to benefit the school. The administration goes above and beyond to help the students and the faculty be successful.
Working as substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCJanuary 30, 2019
Working as substitute with Wilson county schools since 2015.some school staff behave nice with you.but in some schools they don’t treat you well.payroll always messed up pays and hold pay for two months.still working because unable to find job somewhere else.its challenging job but not enough pay and not always get paid on time.
Pros
Usa can pick ur days you want to work
Cons
Stay until 3:30 pm.less pay, hold pay for 2 months
I enjoy working in Wilson County Schools because the hours are great and we are off in the summer.
In School Suspension Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hunt High SchoolJanuary 12, 2019
My typical day of work begins at 7:15. I hand out tardy slips to students who are late. Sometimes I have to assign them after school detention. I also have students sent to detention during the school day during block,1,2,3 and 4. Some students are good, some are not so good. I learned how to use our discipline system on my own. I also made my own spreadsheet in google sheets so I can keep up with the number of tardies each student gets per block.
I have my own classroom and my own class rules. Students don't like to be sent to detention, but they like me and respect my rules.
The hardest part of my job is when student comes in that is very upset because they were sent out of the classroom. I have been cursed out, yelled at, even threatened. I never loose my temper and I use positive words to encourage the students.
The best part of my job is when a student stops by to see me and brags about doing better in the classroom and hasn't been sent to detention in a while. I keep candy in my classroom and and give the a piece and tell them how proud I am of them. I have had students come to me that I've know for about 3 years and tell me I was one of their favorite teachers! That always put a smile on my face. To see a student grow and mature is very enjoyable!
Pros
Off in the summer, hours are great, My son goes to school here, Great people to work with.
Cons
One con about this job is the pay. Teacher assistants, which is what I am classified as, doesn't get paid a lot. I truly only work for the insurance.
School system
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Watertown, TNDecember 12, 2018
My typical day at work consists of planning, managing, organizing, analyzing, and synthesizing students, their work, and the assessment data that comes from student work.
Beware of the up and coming administrators
CTE Teacher Health Science Ed (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNOctober 8, 2018
I did like the job my first year. We had a great principle and she was a joy to work for, The next year we got a up and coming administrator as the principle. He cam in with a chip on his shoulder and put all of the older teachers in his sites. Quite frankly he was a poor leader. He lead with intimidation and meanness. It was more stressful than any job I have ever had because of him. I did love the head of the district. Just not that particular principle.
Pros
Cons
stress
Love
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 9, 2018
I love my job an I am only leaving because I need a full time position. I love working with the parents and children. Nothing brightens your day more than a smile on a childs face as they are waving and telling you good morning.
Working as a bus driver
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCAugust 23, 2018
Driving buses isn't for everyone. I t takes a special individual to maintain a bus load of loud kids and regulate safety procedures. The pay for bus drivers is a little on the low end; however, there are multiple openings and needs for help around the district which will allow for someone to keep their route if they wanted to.