WinCo Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,203 reviews matching the search See all 1,205 reviews
Working here will test you
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXNovember 13, 2018
Working for Winco is rewarding if you make it. There are cashiers who retire with $1,000,000 in their ESOP (share of the company). Some things you have to put up with to get there? Let's see, favoritism, nepotism, inflexible scheduling, irregular hours, managers who bend the rules, and other employees who never are reprimanded for not doing their jobs. Oh and yes let us not forget about this nasty little thing called the points system. You get 2 points if you are late past 2 minutes and 3 points if you call out. This is the most stressful thing about this job. Literally you can lose your job if you get more than 9 points in three months or 15 points in a 12-month period.
Pros
Raises are based on hours worked, decent benefits, coworkers who are good people
Cons
Management styles do not mesh together well, points system, excessive favoritism
Management Review
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  ArizonaAugust 13, 2018
Typical day at work was 8-5 with hour lunches for management. I learned a lot of market trends and systematical processes in regards to inventory, product knowledge, company functions, management skills, and more importantly personnel skills. There were lots of opportunities within the organization and tons of help from upper-management in regards to advancing in your current or future roles. WinCo was very family-oriented in its structure. There were lots of meetings showing the spirit of their business model leading the market in low prices. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fast paced work style but that was also the hardest part. It tends to take its toll on you over time as it's constantly go-go-go. I enjoyed Winco for the management experience and overall insight I was able to obtain as the company grew into other states.
Pros
Hours, pay, stock program, training, advancement, culture
Cons
Work holidays and weekends.
fun people but not a great place to earn
Retail Stocker (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, ORJuly 30, 2018
my job started out great and i really loved it, but they change management on night shift every three months and they go through shift leads like little kids go through shoes. Eventually I went from a very accomdating,very laid back boss, to a overbearing put people in cliques situation. I was getting an average of 25-30 hours then they switched management and went to 15-0 hours. Suddenly newer ppl that had been there in a shorter time span than me were getting promoted and raises and hours while I fighted for scraps
Pros
The ppl I worked with
Cons
managment
Fast Paced, Good Pay, Hard Work
Order Selector/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, OROctober 2, 2018
Fast paced work environment where orders picked are timed, co-workers and management for the most part are friendly and helpful. Work/Life balance can be difficult due to mandatory overtime. Seniority based workplace with the workplace culture that would be expected with it.
Pros
Paid Lunch, Plenty of overtime available
Cons
Only 20 minutes for lunch, overtime can be mandatory at times
The best job I ever had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  California, BakersfieldDecember 7, 2018
Things you must know before being a Winco Cashier:

- Genral Math
- Fast at Learning
- WIC/Reading Bank Checks
- How to handle mean customers
- Scanning fast
- Memorizing tons of codes
- Being able to multitask
- Not being shy (must use store public intercom)

I already had all these skills. So a regular day for me was sitting back, looking pretty, and scanning stuff fast. If you lack any of these skills you will probably have a hard time.The training was about 30 minutes.
Then you are by yourself. Almost everyday was packed. Which is great. It made the day go by faster.
If it was a slow day, you were most likely sent home.
Just be smart, and know how to handle dumb/rude customers.
Pros
Small raise after a while
Cons
Strict rules
Stressful and poorly managed
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZNovember 27, 2018
You're not paid enough for the shut you have to do and deal with, the management was awful and they fired our department manager without having a new one lined up and after that it was 10x worse. I quit after only a few months and I was like the 6th to quit in that time frame.
Pros
Short work days, nice people.
Cons
Bad management, poor compensation, no incentives, stressful
decent for temporary work, don't plan to move up quickly.
Variety Clerk (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 2, 2018
Depending on your department, working at Winco (or any other grocery chain) can be the easiest job you've ever worked, or the most stressful job you've ever worked. Either way, the pay isn't anything to get excited about, management heavily plays favorites, and that even has potential to effect your hours, as corporate doesn't step into help when managers overstep their boundaries. Benefits are great but many employees don't qualify if they aren't scheduled enough hours. If you're looking for a decent seasonal/part-time job then I do recommend working at Winco.
Pros
Good benefits, Stock in company, amazing and friendly co-workers
Cons
advancement only happens when you're a favorite
Fast paced, high energy, very productive, and fun work place
Order Selector/Picker (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 7, 2018
A typical day at work looked like this, clock in, grab headset and transporter, and pick/ hand select orders until its time to go home. I learned how to properly and safely drive a transportation device, as well as work efficiently and safely to save company's time. I also had to learn to build/ cross tie boards efficiently. Management at Winco Foods was great, they are always around to make sure that the workers are being safe and efficient, and are always around if needed for questions. The hardest part of the job was knowing that Winco was growing and getting busier every day which meant that we would have to work up to twelve hours a day and maintain a daily percentage of 92% and only allowing us to be down 20 minutes for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the more hours I worked meant getting to a raise faster, also knowing that I was being invested into company stocks.
Pros
Incentive pays, benefits
Cons
Strict guidelines
Low starting pay 401k and stocks arent worth it
Multi Purpose Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CADecember 10, 2018
WinCo is the place you go to get a good retirement and 401k payout after 25-30 of low pay, part time minded work hours with full time expectation. Lead clerks are on a seperate contract and handle all the tedious problems but do not have a good bump in pay. You basically have to wait 5-7 years to get a parttime bump in pay and hopefully HOPEFULLY you get full time status and get a good top out wage and if the company doesnt plummet or lose tons of money on freezers going out your ESOP might be as good as everyone says. BUT you have to deal with high expectation for corporate and location management while being passed around from department to department until you basically grow numb long enough to make it to a top out wage where youll continue the same cycle until you retire. The only good thing about WinCo during that process is if youre lucky enough to get a steady 25 hr scehdule you can get some good benefits. Big IF though.
Pros
Good Benefits Great Retirement
Cons
Low Starting Pay Long Process To Top Out Wage
Favoritism, horrible pay and managers that dont seem to care.
Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  OregonJune 21, 2018
At first working at Winco was great; Employe owned, ok benefits, stocks. Then you start to see the corruption and lack of compassion management has towards there employees. Favoritism is rampant everywhere in part of the store your in and most of the time they dont even try to hide it. The pay is absolutely ridiculous depending on your position. As a lead clerk you are paid horribly and they dont give you a raise when you get your "promotion", the only benefit of it is 40hrs and more steps to gain a pay increase. The step system is garbage and the only way you will ever get a pay raise. Management states they care and are there to help but when the same problems pop up over and over and are constantly ignored you tend to lose faith. If you for some reason want to work for this company I'd suggest not getting a "promotion" unless you work long enough to top out in your steps first, if not you'll be making less then anyone else and doing twice the work. I dont recommend working for this company unless it's just temporary.
Cons
Management, favoritism, point system, lack of pay, lack of compassion
Sweat shop enviroment
Freight Crew (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 6, 2018
Pushed every minute to work harder to only be sent home early. Nothing you do is good enough they time you on everything and write you up if you don't meet there demands.all they care about is meeting target and can care less if you can pay your bills. Management changes often and you must adjust to the new guy in charge. One manager may like your work ethic and the next may not. If you need a job you'll need 2-3 jobs to make it because winco doesn't give hrs but you can pick up extra shifts sometimes. If your young and can make it past the 2 yr mark and get hrs it does have excellent retirement over all I've worked for worst employers and I've worked for better
Pros
The people
Good place to start
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 5, 2018
If you're willing to put in the work, this company can take you places. When you first start out, the pay is minimum, but after 1040 hrs there is a substantial raise. Benefits are available for all employees after their first 3 months as long as they can maintain a minimum of 25hrs/week (equaling 100 hrs/month). As long as you keep open communication with your managers and make reasonable requests, they are willing to work with your scedule. So far I've only experienced the bakery, but cross training in other departments is available. I just love my bakery. I'd like to have more hours, but the hours are dependent upon sales and this has been a slow summer. Bottom line, the longer you are with the company, the better it gets. It just takes time. 10 out of 10 highly recommend.
Pros
Benefits, experience, career advancement
Cons
Minimum wage, no full-time
The amount of work you do is never good enough or enough
Floor Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 22, 2018
As a Floor Clerk you work the customer service desk, cashier, stock, deal with drunks and shoplifters, and just outright rude customers. You clean, put away go backs, deal with vendors, and then disrespected, insulted, and literally yelled at by management. The work you do is never enough, good enough, or fast enough. Recently with the Paradise, CA fires upper management refused to allow employees to leave to check on their homes or family and refused to close the store when the fires were 1/2 mile away. They said if you were affected by the fires you could apply to the WinCo Foundation for assistance. Upper management meets 1x/mo to approve someone and more than likely you won't be approved. You have to beg for hours and if you get them you will get in trouble if you go 1 minute over 40 hours/week. There is sick leave but if you take it you will be written up and points deducted. They say it is "employ owned" but that in itself is a joke as management is just plain and simple outright greedy and makes and enforces rules as it applies or doesn't apply to their pets and those that kiss up.
Pros
Full benefits after 25 hour week
Cons
Good luck getting 25 hours a week
Typical day and meeting new people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CASeptember 21, 2018
A typical day was always busy standing in a small area 8hours a day. Most enjoyable was meeting new people everyday or some regulars that you would pretty much see everyday. That was very nice. The work place had a lot of different culture which was very nice. The hardest part was standing for a long period of time with just 10 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday having nice conversations. The management were very nice and easy to approach and ask questions. What I learned is that sometimes you are going to have a customer that is not very friendly so you take the positive approach and tell them to have a “very nice day” smile and let it go 🙂there is another enjoyable part and that was that some of your co-workers were very nice friendly and helped new hires feel welcome. Overall experience of working for WinCo was very nice I would go back there to work again and I would recommend new persons to give it an opportunity. It’s a very learning experience and you will learn something new each day.
Pros
Meeting new people some nice co-workers
Cons
No discounts on purchasing food
overall it was a rewarding experience it was hard work fast paced being on the freight crew for those who can hack it its a good job
Freight Clerk (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVOctober 25, 2018
down stacking freight ,separate it,wheel it to the isle that it goes to .when all freight is wheeled then each person gets an isle and then you proceed to restock the shelves.after that you face you isle making sure the labels are facing out clean up your isle and go home.
Pros
good pay great benefits good management
Cons
it takes about 4 years to top in pay
Over worked and underpaid
Freight Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 8, 2018
I have been at winco for more than a year part time and I have always made case counts good employee. But overall hard word doesn’t get you anywhere you must be a favorite or kids a lot of butt in order to get anywhere. Even in the slow times of the year which is usually the beginning of the year the favorites will still get their 40 hours while everyone else gets excuses of why their hours are getting cut. You will hear things like we have to cut hours because of so and so or it’s slow this time of the year even though you pass your case counts and do a really good job and management knows it they will still give you a slap in the face with hours and give their favorites their normal which is 40. I thought this place was very good at first but corporate is not any help they will allow managers to get away with murder while you re underpaid and overworked. Call off too many times and they will cut you off eventually because you are not dedicated to them. It’s a lot of negatives here, more than there should be. The only thing is then coworkers are really great.
Pros
If your a favorite you’re fine
Cons
Everything if your not. Favorite even though you work hard.
N/a
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 10, 2018
Good place to work, good management and benefits for the family and yourself. Good work life balance and plenty of opportunities to move within the company
It was intense but worthwhile
Cart Clerk / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJune 24, 2018
I loved it at WinCo, hours could get rough at times but the whole place was great overall, the people were friendly, the managers were willing to tell you how and why they would make changes, and communication between the team and management went mostly well.
Pros
the raises were given by hours worked
Cons
short breaks, physically straining work.
Predictable and busy
Freight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 21, 2018
A typical day at work for me would consist of preparing the kitchen or deli for the day while serving customers and answering questions about product whenever we were approached by customers. Management could be either really good or really bad, but for myself, most of my manager were good ones. I learned how to properly serve customers, and many simple skills that would prove useful in the future such as team and self management, ordering, and operating heavy machinery. Dealing with customers could be either the best part of the job or the worst part of the job. I thoroughly enjoyed interpersonal dealing with members of the crew, though.
Pros
excellent benefits and advancement opportunities
Cons
very demanding, a certain high level of performance is required
Productive, reliable, consistent, and a easygoing employment that I’ve experienced in the work force
Variety Stocker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 6, 2018
Keep a positive attitude and a good demeanor and everything else will fall into order because the management for the store shows deep recommendation for their employees to keep job security to the highest pedestal and never downgrade work ethic but actually only improve encouragement for self-esteem
Pros
Overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WinCo Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at WinCo Foods.

Powered by Comparably