WinCo Foods Employee Reviews

Found 1,276 reviews matching the search See all 1,278 reviews
winco
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 19, 2019
winco is a good company to work for. they are 24 hours so work schedule is flexible
they have great benefits
and after 1 year you get paid vacation, personal holiday and sick pay based on your hours worked
and they renew every year on you start day anniversary
Nice place to work
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 19, 2019
It was a great place to work I learned and gained a lot of experience at winco foods I learned customer services, money orders, working the lottery machines and counting the tills.
Pros
plenty of opportunity
Cons
Working in the freezer for 8 hours
Male dominated positions like Freight or management challenging
Overnight Freight (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 18, 2019
If you are a woman consider this, there may be some situations in which your appearance and gender attract an unsavory element which could result in there being an extreme discomfort. The management open door policy frowns upon even the mention of such encounters, the may opt to instead lure you out of the office and shut the door in your face.
Pros
pay, hours, room for growth
Cons
To advance one may have to tolerate harassing behavior from coworkers
Manager was a drag
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORMarch 15, 2019
The Manager would always tell me that I was her worst and slowest worker, despite me having to pick up the workload of 6 employees we didn't have on a daily basis and most of the staff being elderly and couldn't do most of the job that I also had to assist them with when it came to the heavy lifting or at how quick I could move to assist customers.
Freight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAMarch 14, 2019
Its a great place to work. You really have to work your way up. Your raisedepends on how many hours you put in. So WORK WORK WORK!! Its fast paced but not too bad.
WinCo is good
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMarch 13, 2019
WinCo is a great company to work for. If you want to move up, you definitely need to move and prove yourself. Sometimes can be VERY stressful. Dealing with people is a thing you have to be good at. You just have to like people and like to provide help when needed. WinCo staff can become very comfortable with each other. If you stay in your lane you are fine.
Pros
great benefits. 401k health insurance.
Cons
no discounts
Management has no problem throwing anyone under the bus to advance their career.
Meat/All-Purpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 11, 2019
It's good temp job but they make it very hard to stick around. Just make sure you always cover your butt and never get sick and you could get by till they find a random reason to give you points.
Stressful
Night Freight (Former Employee) –  Oregon City, ORMarch 11, 2019
This job was great in the beginning while they had hundreds of new employees. Then as people quit or got fired the shift leaders became rude and disrespectful to their employees. Eventually they pushed and criticized so often that most people quit due to dis-respect and being treated like slave workers instead of qualified employees.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Short to no breaks, Disrespectful
Industry not set-up for most people
CASHIER / GROCERY FLOOR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAMarch 8, 2019
WinCo is an average employer. Hours are inconsistent, work is over-bearing for most people, and support from superiors is sometimes non-existent.

You have to regulate your own breaks sometimes as the hectic environment can get people "lost" in the fast pace needed almost all the time. Cashiers are always working non-stop as WinCo policy is to never have enough workers on the cashier line. It is understood that customers can wait in line for 15-20 minutes on a regular basis.

The prices are great for the customers but the work environment is lousy for the workers as its non-union, minimum wage labor. The pay doesn't even come close to the work you are required to do and leaves most workers unfulfilled. The general environment is tough to be in and most employees try to stay together mentally to fight the same monster (so-to-speak).

WinCo reportedly makes between $4-5 billion annually. The tough work environment and petty wages are a big reason why. Slave labor isn't a term I use lightly but this is the closest I’ve been personally to that. I have had other minimum wage jobs that had way better break systems, longer lunches to help relive the stresses brought on by the job, and way more relaxed environments. Most of my superiors are good people but also are so scared of the corporate bureaucracy that they run scared of everything.

WinCo is not a good place to work if you have other options. I would not recommend working for WinCo unless it is out of necessity and do be prepared for a tough run of employment. I would definitely recommend working elsewhere, especially
  more... if it is for minimum wage. All employment is “what you make it” mentally but the environment at WinCo is most assuredly not for most people unless they can become robotic and simply go through the motions of clocking in and clocking out. It can become dehumanizing at times.  less
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMarch 5, 2019
I started out as cashier then they asked me to be the Bookkeeper and I had no experience for it. I was fully trained and loved doing it. I was then asked to be a Lead Clerk and it was for more money so I took it but didn't really enjoyed it as much as being a Bookkeeper.
Pros
Gave great benefits to everyone including part timers
Cons
Starting pay wasn't great at first
Terrible
Clerk, cashier (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMarch 5, 2019
Everyone I worked with quit. It's a pyramid scheme the treat you unfairly their favorites. Their stock options is a pyramid scheme everything they tell you is a lie . Very hard work physical demanding hard work management is a joke some managers just sit in their office on their phones while everybody else works hard and the store suffers for it
Pros
Cons
They suck
The job in itself was ok.
Overnight Freight (Former Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 4, 2019
The work was ok but the management was bad, the pay was bad, the benifits werent worth it. They tried talking the job up when in reality it was one of the worst. I was overnight stocking and im glad i no longer work for winco.
Pros
15 min from home
Cons
Not sure
Stressful work and lack of Flexibility with life
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMarch 4, 2019
Winco is a place to work if you're willing to invest all your time and are wanting to try and make a career out of a minimum wage job. Its difficult to advance in the store without switching locations.
Pros
paid time off and scaling wage based on hours worked
Cons
Stressful work environment and poor management system
work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORMarch 4, 2019
You don't get paid fairly. In the customer service field so some days are more difficult than others because you have to be patient. You do a lot more work than you should be for what you are getting paid to do.
Typical Day At WinCo
Cashier/CSR/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  IdahoMarch 3, 2019
I usually was the opener of Customer Service Desk at my location of WinCo. I did everything from Item Returns, Lottery, Tobacco Sales, Western Union (Money Transfer Sends and Receives, and Money Orders),Cashing Approved Employer Payroll Checks, Handling of Customer Complaints, Lost and Found, Helped with Cashiering, Employee Training, and I backed up Upper and Lower Management.
I have learned from working at my location that Management is not there to back you up, especially when they provide you with Policies and Procedures and when you go by the book, they do the exact opposite. The same Management thrived on drama, creating it for absolutely no reason, and then wanted the employees to tell on each other and make complaints on each other. I am against this type of behavior and went elsewhere.
The only enjoyable part of the job was getting to know most of our Customers, and our Benefits Package. The hardest part of the job was getting yelled at for minor thing, or things that you had no part of, and all while working for a non- livable wage.
Pros
Incredible Benefits
Cons
Hourly wages are extremely low
WINCO experience
Asst. Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMarch 3, 2019
Fast paced, high production, good co-workers. Good benefits, poor upper management. I enjoyed working with the crew I had. We worked well as a team. Co-workers pull together as a unit.
Springfield WINCO was run very poorly
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 1, 2019
I used to love working for Winco, but ever since a manager took over that place went down hill. We never had enough help so that ment we work extra hard for no appreciation. It felt like a hostel work place. It felt like we always had to watch our backs because they will find any little thing to fire you for. There is a saying that some of the workers would call that place (WCC) witch ment WINCO correctional center. That is what we felt like in that place.
Pros
Good health care benifits
Cons
Hostile workplace, poor management
its a fun place to work with very freindly employees
Freight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Kelso, WAMarch 1, 2019
Its a fun place to work and the employees and manager are great they're very nice but I just don't receive the hours I need and the advacements just aren't really there
Pros
Health care dental care
Cons
short breaks
High stress and poor management
Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 28, 2019
Used to be so proud to work here! Advanced quickly was proud of my position, staff, and management. Old GM retired, in came the new GM and destroyed the company within a year. We have lost several assistant managers, department managers, lead clerks, and important employees due to poor management.
Pros
The benifits is all
Cons
Everything else
It would be awesome if this thing actually worked the way it's supposed to...
CART/CONTAINER CLERK (Current Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 28, 2019
Cart/Container clerks have a lot of responsibility. It is easy to fall behind when equipment isn't operating properly (or at all, for that matter). The autonomy and consistent routine of the job is enjoyable, however, all it takes is for a Cart Wizard (shopping cart retrieval machine) to conk out and the day falls apart. It is disheartening to discover that these machines are over 12 years old and even more disheartening to be reprimanded for "performing poorly" when the equipment doesn't work by those who haven't been a Cart/Container clerk for an hour, let alone 8 of them, 5 times a week.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Shoddy Equipment, Physically debilitating work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WinCo Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss