Windstream Communications Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,097 reviews matching the search See all 1,099 reviews
Gained important experience
IT Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 17, 2018
I was able to obtain more experience with software such as SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Server Integration Studio. I had a great mentor who helped me in areas that I had less experience with. There were some days that I didn't have much to do but I was able to learn more about what my coworkers were doing then. However, some of the projects introduced to me were very confusing and I don't feel that I got adequate information to be able to understand what was going on.
Great experience working for the company although worried about the future of the company.
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 12, 2018
Direct management since I've been with this company have been great. There seems to be way too many personnel in upper management.

I have learned a lot working for this company, and will continue to learn throughout my career.
Pros
The groups that I've worked in have been excellent, Groups are able to work with other groups to get the job done.
Cons
Terrible benefits, no raises for salaried employees.
Not a good place
Current member (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJuly 12, 2018
I should have read and reread the reviews before coming to work here. I have been through 3 different managers each expecting different ways to do the same job. Not trained as well as one should for this ever changing technology having a slid show training for an hour doesn’t explain how to sell this feature. I was assured this was a great company never seen so much turn over on one department. Micro management down to every second.
Pros
Monday through Friday schedule
Cons
Not enough time to say it all.
A day in the life
HR Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72212July 11, 2018
The HR Advisor role at Windstream is an extremely invaluable role that requires collaboration with benefits, payroll, HRIS, talent acquisition and compensation. Candidate background/on-boarding management, position management/requisition creation, unemployment claims, processing general HR related employee cases and owning the exiting process for resigning/retiring employees are the main responsibilities.

The role requires working with employees at all levels across all Business Units. Great exposure!
Great for Complacency
Inside Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2018
Windstream isn't the most fascinating place to work. While the m-f schedule is appealing, overtime is a necessity if you plan to actually hit quota and make money. The interview process is a little misleading about the pay structure, definitely not one of the best commission plans I've worked under. Leadership within the company is lackluster, there is a lot of obvious favoritism displayed throughout the department. Overall if your are looking for something temporary or are okay with complacency in your work I would recommend Windstream.
Pros
schedule
Cons
short breaks, heath benefits
Windstream USED to be a great company
Sr Consultant (Current Employee) –  TelecommuteJuly 11, 2018
I've been with Windstream since back in the Alltel days. It used to be a wonderful place to work, with so many benefits, and a culture of caring and motivation. All that changed a few years ago with the change of leadership. Windstream is now a failing company, cutting corners and benefits to survive. We haven't received a raise in 2 years (applies to all salaried employees except upper management). Benefits are a joke. Monthly layoffs. Expected to work longer hours doing the work of the people that have been let go. Management is horrible. No collaboration between departments. There are no positive comments that can be made.
Pros
Na
Cons
Terrible benefits, no raises in 2 years, long hours, terrible managment
Fast pace/huge work load
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 8, 2018
Pres of company needs to think of others beside himself. No raises in the last 3 years but he still received 180% bonus... reorg's constantly and each reorg causes procedure changes.
Pros
Work remote
Cons
No compensation
Sr Management needs to focus more on the clec and ilec side
Manager Local Operations (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GAJuly 3, 2018
Sr Management would have done better if the team would have taken a closer look at the clec structure and made a few changes. On the ilec side more focus from engineering with the local upgrades with bandwidth would have been better. Too many complaints.
Pros
Frontline managers always try to take care of the employees
Cons
Too many changes without checking.
Used to be a good place to work
Current employee (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 3, 2018
After executive leadership changes, Windstream went downhill very fast. I'm sure it is a matter of time before it is bought out and hundreds lose their jobs.
Cons
Overall great place to work
IT Support Representative I (Current Employee) –  Fairport, NYJune 30, 2018
A typical day at work requires answering incoming calls.
I have improved my troubleshooting and customer service skills. The most challenging part of the job was answering back to back calls but there is a wide range of issues which makes calls enjoyable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help users resolve their issues and also learning new troubleshooting techniques/software which is absolutely facinating to me. I enjoy doing research for something that I didn't know. Management is just great and very encouraging and they do understand that we are humans and we have a life outside of work.
Pros
understanding management
Cons
healthcare
Good company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCJune 29, 2018
Good company, good pay, good work/life balance, most weeks are M-F, 8 to 5. Vacation allowance is par with the industry. Healt benefits are good and comparable with other companies.
Pros
Good company, good pay, good work/life balance
Cons
Was a fine place to work for, until yet another round of layoffs
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 29, 2018
Really enjoyed working there until I was laid off without any warning. When I later asked my manager he said that he was unaware of the layoff until it happened. When I asked if the director knew, my manager said he was surprised too. Who makes the decisions here?! Windstream seems to be struggling to find its footing in the industry.
Good
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Baldwin, GAJune 26, 2018
Good job to work and good pay very fast pace.woukd love to see people able to move up when doing the job already. Manager are helpfull there very lot of sales
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not able to move up
Company does not Review Employee's Performance
Analyst II, Finance (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2018
I enjoyed working for Windstream other than the company had four layoffs while I was there. I don't understand companies that have layoffs and then turn around re-hire more people or even the same people.
I will never work for Windstream again.
Peasant (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 25, 2018
The procedures and expectations of Windstream are unreasonable and impossible to maintain. While my direct manager was amazing, upper management decisions are horrible. You have no say, and those above you either have no say or are afraid to say anything to their superiors. While I did learn a lot from my position, the circumstances in which I learned were not ideal. I will never return to or support this company in the future. Giving your best is never good enough. Numbers are manipulated to make the department appear greater than it truly is. There is no job security. I know of 5 layoffs in a year's span. Windstream cut the higher paid people and lost too many resources in those people. There is not a single concern for the front lines or lower work force. Each and every day will turn into the most dreadful and stressful days of your life. Windstream is the absolute worst place I have ever worked in my life. I have worked for two different departments and they both are the same. If you are applying for BTAC, I suggest taking a minimum wage position instead. That was my first area, and it had the most shady, rude, selfish, and insecure management of all. It is simple - No to Windstream.
Pros
Work experience and time off
Cons
Not enough books in the world to hold the amount of cons for this company.
Very fast paced.
Manager, Technical Support Specialists (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 25, 2018
Fast paced and at times, stressful. A lot of very good people work at this company and it is feels like family. Very good learning experiences within my time working for Windstream.
Pros
A lot of good people to work with.
Cons
High healthcare cost
Windstream was a good place to learn.
Sr UNIX Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHJune 23, 2018
As a systems administrator we were always innovating and introducing new technologies. This gave us the opportunity to learn and stay up with the cutting edge developments.
Pros
Innovative
Cons
No training offered. You learned by doing.
Productive and fun place to work
Repair Technician Transport ERC (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 23, 2018
answering inbound calls, working with the local carrier to help solve customer issues. Updating customers by phone and email. Working in multiple different application to repair customer issues.
Wouldn't recommend working for this company
Lead Remedy administrator and developer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeJune 22, 2018
Their employee benefits and compensation is well below average, and they do not value their employees at all. The company is also in trouble financially.
Pros
They allow employees to work remotely
Cons
Poor employee benefits
Progressive company in a highly competitive market.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 22, 2018
Progressive company in a highly competitive market. Great family, work life balance. Offers monthly training workshops onsite at the corporate campuses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Windstream Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight