Windstream Communications Employee Reviews

Found 1,245 reviews matching the search See all 1,247 reviews
Company is struggling to survive
IT Architect (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 21, 2019
It's all about financial survival. There have been multiple rounds of layoffs and several reorganizations. Improvement initiatives start and go nowhere. There are a lot of isolated groups, all competing for their own survival, resulting in por communication and lack of standards.
Pros
the people
Cons
chaotic systems development
My thoughts on Windstream
Business Sales & Service (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2019
Really business days. Not enough pay no increase in pay ever. Schedule and time off hours are never available. The most fun part about the job is my team.
Not a great place for someone who does not deal with stress well
Network Engineer/Technician (Current Employee) –  Arab, ALJanuary 14, 2019
Not a great place for someone who does not deal with stress well. Very little training with full accountability for critical systems. Management is seldom and chaotic.
Company is either unsureof direction, or unsure of best path to get there
Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCJanuary 14, 2019
Closer to the customer you are, the better off you'll be. Time on the job or with the company means nothing to higher executives, ofwhich 90% have less time with this comany than the techs who walk up to the customer's front door.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Lack of loyalty to employees. Completely numbers driven at this time.
5 year
Enterprise Customer Service Trainer II (Current Employee) –  Hiawatha, IAJanuary 14, 2019
I have worked here for 5.5 years. I like it, people are great. My manager is the best. The benefits are a bit expensive for what you get. I have many more pros than cons.
Can't figure it out
Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 14, 2019
It's a company that can't get out of its own way. They've acquired so many other smaller companies but didn't truly plan on how to integrate them all. They have the right ideas but never plan far enough ahead for the execution.
Was a great company until they made changes
Tier II Broadband Specialist (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHJanuary 13, 2019
The company was a very positive place to work until they rolled out a new program that was supposed to bring all departments in one system. The system was so bad, we were able to do our jobs with the old system in read only mode. Our time spent trying to help customers went up 400%. Being one of a total of 40 top level reps, our first line techs, who did very little trouble shooting were dumping calls on us because the system was even more of a disaster than ours. We had more access, but we used every program we could , besides the new rollout and we were able to almost do our jobs. Techs in the field received the same program and it could take over an hour, easily, to get basic internet in a new customers home.
Pros
Comfortable work space
Cons
Management was little or no help with this untested system
Good for networking Experience
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 12, 2019
If you want networking experience this is the place to go. Windstream is ok. A lot of Voluntold instead of Volunteer though. I've been here a long time. It's pros and cons to every employment place.
Fun and competitive place to work
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Baldwinville, GAJanuary 11, 2019
Highly recommend. Has a wonderful health coverage plan and they are family valued focused. It's a highly competitive position and you must be able to handle a high anounr of stress that comes along with it. Very strict with their attendence. They offer continuing education to all their employees and you can easily move ahead with diligence.
Pros
Pay scale, benefits, and spiffs
Cons
Work hours, cut throat, highly stressful
Sinking ship
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 9, 2019
This company is built for upper management and corporate shareholders to gorge on. They will lay off and try to contract you back at cheaper rates if not outright outsourced to India which is their preference. They do not seem to care about their employees or customers.
Pros
a job if you need one
Cons
a large collection of do nothing managers
good place
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Hudson, OHJanuary 9, 2019
they had one bad supervisor to which they fired and the other management is awesome, but bejean the upper management well he is not by far an upstanding guy especially to some women.
Fun place to work but outdated systems
Account Specialist/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newton, IAJanuary 6, 2019
I love the job. It is fast paced and different every day. The software is outdated and glitches every day. Trying to do your job is frustrating. As soon as you start hitting goals and making money, they raise the goals.
only work here while looking for something else
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 5, 2019
lot of off the clock work. They do not provide anything to write with or on, They provide nothing except 1 pen and 1 tablet while in training. After that you are expected to provide your own, Coworkers constantly stealing you pen and paper to work. Head sets die they want you to purchase a wireless headset at you own expense so employees just swap it for another set at someones desk when they are not present. No locks on the desk so its a free for all. This is a sales job. Seniors call in crying they cannot afford the bill and you are expected to sell. A lot of old wiring in lines that Windstream will not replace. Lot of customers loose service everytime it rains. chairs falling apart in break room. you are expected to be at your desk waiting for you break/lunch to be over to sign back in to accept calls you are expected to be at your desk 15 minutes before the start of you shift to sign in to all systems, read all emails, and start taking calls at the start of your shift. Lot of back stabbing. EVERYTHING IS SALES. This is not a customer service job. Lots of deferred maintenance on the building and grounds. No maintenance person on site to take care of things like ice on the steps OSHA would fine them and possibly shut the place down. They pay nothing on insurance. 1 person expect to pay about $100 per paycheck.
Enjoyed working at the help desk and assisting guests with IT issues.
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJanuary 4, 2019
A typical day would be taking calls from guests at hotels and helping them get online. I learned that while working with the guests that not all guest have the best knowledge of technology and as to how it works. Interacting with others at the help desk to where we could share information to help one another with guests issues.
Stay away
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 2, 2019
Never know which direction the wind will blow Windstream so to speak. Different direction every quarter, management drove the stock from $31 to $1.75 a share.
everyday is a new issue
Specialist II-Service Activation (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MADecember 12, 2018
No clear leadership at my level, Little to no advancement, lack of quality training. Frequent changes in job duties and requirements. Lack of communication from management.
Pros
hour lunch, paid time off, med, dental, vision, 401k
Cons
mergers, layoff's, hundreds of systems and passwords
lack of advancement
Specialist II-Service Activations (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 12, 2018
little to no advancement, lack of quality training, poor leadership and communication from management. Continuously changing management and job role duties.
Pros
every day is something new
Cons
training is horrible, 100's of password to remember, 5+ legacy networks to learn
Can be challenging
Engineer III/Network Operations (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2018
Working at Windstream was a challenging and rewarding experience. I had exposure to a large ISP network and was able to work in multiple areas of the company from Corporate network support to ISP security.
I feel the company is it best struggling to stay afloat
FINANICAL SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Dalton GeorgiaDecember 4, 2018
I first started working at Windstream in 2007, it was like hitting the jackpot everybody pretty much skip to work. But now that my department has been outsourced to Dominican Republic, I feel there is a lack of job security. I honestly do not know what's next.
Pros
Love my customers, small town atmosphere
Cons
Downsizing, inadequate training in short periods of time.
Started Well
Tier II Broadband Specialist (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHDecember 4, 2018
The job was very challenging and was nice to have some calls that are the same but some that could be very unique. The location of the faculity was not the best if you are driving from the snow belt.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Windstream Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight