Winston & Strawn LLP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work - wish i had never left.
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2018
Excellent people, great atmosphere, great benefits, and a real team environment. There were some shifts in the number of staff needed at the firm that eventually may have affected my assignment. Otherwise, I would be there to this day.
Pros
Everything was positive.
Cons
Shifting staffing needs were made that were negative ti my employment security.
Friendly and diverse
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
Everyone was friendly in there. I got along with all of my co-workers. If there was a problem or if I had any questions about what I am supposed to do, there is always someone there to help.
stuffy/formal work environment
Transactional Attorney (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
More so than many other BigLaw firms, the work environment here is very difficult, with close-minded, conservative partners and where work ethic and diligence is less rewarded than being connected to the right partners
Legal Secretary
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2018
Worked closely with Legislative attorneys and Enviromental attorneys. Also helped overflow with other attorneys in the firm. Worked quite a bit of overtime, late evenings or weekends. Strong proofreading skills and ability to multi-task,
Worked for difficult person
IP Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2017
Overall good firm -- ...just was assigned to a very difficult partner notwithstanding the fact that I was given "war" money as the HR person advised..
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. Everyone was very nice and the company held lots of group functions that provided a family type of atmosphere. I would work here again.
Excellent place to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
I enjoyed my ppsition at Winston & Strawn and the firm has my full respect. They treated their support staff with respect and the attorneys that I support and the firm overall was good for me.
Pros
Full benefits package
Winston & Strawn
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
I've enjoyed my time at Winston, albeit brief. It's a large, international firm, but you can tell they value their employees. There is a good work-life balance and many events, including staff appreciation, gifts given by HR to employees for recognition and holiday parties and office social events to name a few.

Dress is business casual on all days except Friday (jeans) but the atmosphere for a law firm, is quite laid back and reasonable. Located in a great location downtown, this is one of the many perks of working here.

I've really enjoyed my time working for my manager as well. She's engaging and easy to get along with, but wants to see you succeed.
Pros
social events, jeans on Fridays, option to work OT, holiday parties, paid time off, great benefits, option to donate to charity and volunteer for charity
Cons
Like most large companies, turnover can be somewhat high
Stressful Place To Work
Litigation Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2017
The office is managed through fear tactics and most of the lawyers live in constant concern about losing their job. The office does not foster collaboration or team building, but is focused on cut-throat everyman-for-himself tactics.
Fun and relaxed place
Translator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 19, 2016
Go in and translate between clients and lawyer. Work from home and translate paperwork and documents. VERY relaxed and not very time consuming.
Pros
free lunches, free parking in downtown
P.O.V (see Glassdoor review titled 'P.O.V')
Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2016
Although the place is good to harness your skills for future opportunities elsewhere, unless you are 'besties' with upper management, if you are looking into any growth/title promotions - it won't be happening.

As I've stated elsewhere (see title), growth should be provided to those who've dedicated Time in order to provide efficient service/support, as well as provide innovation and ambition. There's obvious favoritism here, and some type of 'down-low' corruption/politics. If, for some reason, you decide to take a stand to how things are going because of it being unfair - you'll then become a target.

Upper Management doesn't listen to their employees' wishes...especially when they bring in the $. And if you're a 'Staff', then you're definitely not listened to...
Pros
Benefits here are good
Cons
Lack of growth, obvious favoritism, target on your head if you aren't liked by management. Politics, lack of listening to their employees (staff, associates, even Partners)
Excellent Experience
Legal Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 26, 2016
I spent 11 years at this firm. It was a wonderful career experience. I learned so much and was amply paid for my efforts. I was able too finish grad school and work at the same time.
Productive work environment
attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2015
Productive work environment, great location, great real estate team, wonderful management, good technical support.
I worked for a capital partner in an international lawfirm in NYC for almost 9 years.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2015
I worked for a capital partner, as well as other attorneys and a paralegal who I was assigned to work for. I worked with my capital partner for almost 9 years until he retired in March 2014.
Good energy, nice people
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2015
I liked this firm a lot. My bosses taught me invaluable skills. They were good mentors. I also made life-long friends here.
Wonderful co-workers
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2015
I love my co-workers; however I am a very pro-active person and with that type of mind set, this is not an ideal place to work.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
No room for advancement
Insecure, Dramatic, work-aholic Tax department
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2015
This is the worst department I have every had the misfortune of working for. The manager puts everything off until the last possible minute and expects you to accommodate her emergency. She lies to her staff. She is hostile and hateful. She complains about her boss, the executive committee, the partners and Human Resources on a regular basis. She is rude and demeaning and keeps the morale of her department low. She is a workaholic and therefore does not encourage a work/life balance. She makes the job harder than it has to be. She is unfocused and does not pay attention to what she is doing because she rushes thru everything thereby requiring most assignments to be redone due to inaccurate information, and then blames you for her mistakes.
Pros
Firm as a whole. Great benefits, functions and atmosphere.
Cons
Management in Tax Department
Very good company - productive workplace
Collections Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 25, 2015
I think Winston & Strawn is an excellent company to work for. My typical work day includes constant correspondence with Clients, Attorneys and Firm Management regarding collections.
Not a nice place to work, no one trusted anyone
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 22, 2015
Very demanding on perfection. Although benefits and paid time off were great, met ever increasing harassment when trying to take it. Was not worth taking your earned time off…harassment was frightening. Staff supervision was terrible….basically a former paralegal who had been there forever was moved into position. Had no family or children so had a bad attitude to staff that did have family and children. Very gossipy and complainant and untrustworthy for all staff and administrative personnel. Really needed work on that. Not a friendly or positive place to work.
Productive & a friendly environment
Assistant to Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2014
A typical day at work was nice & productive.
I learned to work more independently.
My co-workers & management were friendly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things to enhance my skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winston & Strawn LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss