Winston Retail Employee Reviews

Great flexible freelance work
Senior Freelance Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2018
Great for quick pickup hours as you can make your own schedule, easy to work with Winston part time even if you have another job, inspiring and great culture too!
Pros
Great management, flexible hours, well known brands
very flexible workday
Field Apparel Merchandise/Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2018
The job was very flexible. I was able to make my own schedule which allowed me to help take care of my mom when she was ill. Overall great company to work for
Pros
flexibility
Cons
more hrs wrking than giving
REGIONAL MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 5, 2018
I love the flexibility of the job. Youre able to make your own schedule. Time management is very important. You work alone which is great. The hardest part is submitting mplans on time
Fun Working environment
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 6, 2019
I love going to all the different stores and working with there team! The offer paid online training to really help you with being an expert of the product to share with the store managers and staff
Pros
meeting and working with new people
Cons
not full time
Professional work environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
Professional work environment with a focus on courtesy and professionalism. Focus on attention to detail and encouragement of new ideas, fresh thinking
Independent work schedule and fun company to work for.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 18, 2018
a typical day at work is placing, organizing, and stocking merchandise on sales floor.

i've learned to use the Winston Retail app.
The hardest part is uploading pictures that present the merchandise in a satisfactory way.
Love It.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 3, 2018
Totally recommend for a part-time merchandising position when it is available. It is flexible to and extent, the job just has to be done by the date that it is given to you on the very easy to use app, that is also a great tool.
Pros
Cons
Non
Winston is a great place to work.
Senior Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 13, 2018
I loved working for Winston. It is your typical merchandising job. You set planograms, and interact with staff. There is lots of travel involved. You work on your own. Every once in a while you get to travel and work with a team. The worst part of this job is that you submit reports. The people that approve or deny these reports nit pick every little thing. It also takes a very long time to get paid for your work. Usually 2 weeks to a month. You fork out expense before you get paid.
Pros
Good pay and fun work
Cons
It takes a long time to get paid.
Flexible hours, but not very competitive pay
Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2018
The hours that are available are flexible. You don't work weekends. You do however have to take the time to make appointment phone calls that you are not paid for. Additionally, you are only paid for travel if you go further than 150 miles round trip. You are expected to travel a lot. The hours that are available starting out are very spares.
It was lame, and no one took you seriously
Merchandising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMarch 4, 2018
The flexibility was great, and I always just played the system. Most manager never took you seriously because in reality. They didn’t know who you actually were. They never sent me the stuff they were supposed to, and to read through have that many floor plans mesmerized was just not realistic with the time they actually paid you to do it. Theyre killing a job field for a lot of people who used to work for the these companies you represent. They’re just out to make a quick buck and Lowe the brands standards for little to no acknowledge of your hard work. They loved to talk down to me, and I only ever had a relationship with my email with them. It’s just not worth it in the end.
Pros
Easy pay. Flexible
Cons
Stupid management. Short turn arounds. Punishment for stupid mistakes, or things out of your control.
Great job with alot of varity and flexibility
Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 25, 2018
I love working for Winston! I only work about 20 hours per month, but I have a full time job so the schedule works well for me. I do wish that hours were more consistent and plentiful from month to month. But that is my only con. Pros are thorough training, good communications with my managers, good pay, and a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good training, pay
Cons
Hours are not consistent and not plentiful
good opportunities to work with big popular companies
Merchandise Coordinator, Adidas Golf (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2018
the experience at this job has been good but the management and support staff are not very helpful. You are very much on your own to do all the work and learn all the job information.
Pros
free clothes
Cons
small pay and few hours
Interesting Job with few perks.
Junior Visual Merchandising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXDecember 10, 2017
Living in a small town I do not make a ton of money, but when I travel I am well compensated. They pay for the hotel and reimburse for food & mileage & tolls. Management team is amazing. You make your own schedule, accept or decline visits.
Pros
management, making your own schedule
Cons
inconsistent pay/jobs
Reality Different from Job Description
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 2, 2017
Merchandisers are treated like employees rather than independent contractors, but without any of the benefits and protections. You are pressured to accept new assignments and led to believe you have no option to decline. You are expected to commit to some visits as much six weeks in advance. Once on your calendar it is time consuming and difficult to make necessary changes to scheduled visits. Depending on the vendor and the retailer, there are times when you are expected to work weekends and holidays. Every question or concern has to make its way up several steps on the chain of command and back down before you receive an answer. While merchadisers are expected to respond to communications on a 24/7 time basis, supervisors make it abundantly clear that you should not bother them evenings or weekends.
Pros
Decent pay for a merchandising position. Most work is for high quality retailers.
Cons
Management obviously doesn't distinguish between an employee position and an independent contractor.
Flexible environment with great management
Project Manager/Field Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 11, 2013
I work as a contract employee for this company so no day is typical. My job responsibilities have grown vastly over the years and I've learned that if you work hard and produce great results they will reward you with more projects when they come available.

There is very little interaction face to face with coworkers since most are contract employees and there is usually only one employee per city/territory. Most communication is done via email or phone with management only and in my experience they have been very easy to communicate with.

The hardest part of this job is the inconsistent amount of hours. It's also unfortunate that the company does not offer advancement to upper level management unless you work at a corporate office (New York or San Francisco). However, this job is very enjoyable if you are self motivated and organized. It is extremely flexible, you have ownership of your own territory business and there is little micromanagement.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Flexibility at its best
Merchandising Coordinator and Selling Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
This job is great for people who would like to have the flexibility to control you schedule. Simple job where you call stores and speak with management to schedule your merchandising or selling visit. Set your date on your calendar, perform your visit, take photos, complete your report and submit.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule, new location every day
Cons
Not enough hours between brands, management doesn't promote advancement
Create a relationship between merchants and vendors with monthly visits to stores.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARApril 13, 2018
I loved meeting and sharing product information with the key sales people so they could answer customer questions regarding the merchandise. You must be able to adapt planned merchandising suggestions to fit the area and product on hand. Taking pictures to support your merchandising on each visit is crucial to keep the vendors aware of their product placement. You are the connector for each site.
Great work environment
Merchandise Coordinator/Field Training (Current Employee) –  SCJune 26, 2017
I have been with Winston for almost 9 years and love it! The flexibility is great and they pay well. Management is great to work with and they really have a wonderful culture. Love love this company!
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
feast or famine on work load
Company has some work to do.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 21, 2017
The description of the position was very accurate. However, you are given new assignments without any notice and are expected to take them. You have to commit to visit times almost more then a month ahead of time. The website to reschedule visits and invoicing is not user friendly. Every question or concern you have takes days even weeks to be answered and sometimes you have to send emails or call multiple times. While you are expected to respond and check commications every day, all day. The training is very general and not useful in anyway.
Pros
Flexible hours, Decent pay, Relaxed dress code
Cons
Lack of commication and support, Not many opportunities in my area, Full time not avaliable, No benefits
Beware
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 23, 2018
they’re in Jersey city. But the hours that they offer part timers are 3hours a week. Only with adidas and no other company. The pay is $18 an hour but your checks are 52 bucks
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Terrible hours for part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Winston Retail. Our community is ready to answer.