Wisconsin Department of Corrections Employee Reviews in Milwaukee, WI

Terrible Work Place at Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 17, 2019
Poor management, the employees are old, miserable, and bitter. Forced Overtime at the door. You think you're going home when you are not, they'll literally force you to work overtime once you hit the door. The inmates, especially the male inmates will cat call you, disrespect you, etc. Overall, you need to have thick skin and patience for the job. No lie. The only pros are the generous paid time off and i guess the opportunity to work as much as you want. If you want a life, don't work here. If you're a loner and want to pick on people, this is the job for you!
Not a good place to work.
inmate worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 9, 2018
I would not recommend working at the position or place I was at. it was a situation out of my control. I was an inmate. I broke a rule while on supervision, and as a consequence my p.o. revocated me.
Relax place to work
Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 24, 2018
This is can be what you make it, it can be a fun place to work or very stressful place to work. The job is not hard at all and I really enjoyed it. It’s not micro managed and that is very good
Short staffed
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 3, 2018
he money is there for you if you want it. Working 16 hr shifts, seven days a week can drain you. Short staffed due to workers being tired. Managers take inmates side over yours.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Long work weeks
good
Correctional Officer/Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 27, 2018
Love my clients, love my co-workers and my supervisor is not bad either.
I am a helper by nature and I do everything, within the scope of my job duties to assist my client in becoming productive members of society.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 5, 2018
Not the best or worse place to work. I didn't see myself working any of the provided "advancement opps" so it was best to leave. Good benefits but the ones I have now are better.
stressful fast paced
Probation/ Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 24, 2017
Secured job with benefits, such as dental and health. Fast paced job. Low pay based on the amount of required work. Definitely a job for a person leaning towards law enforcement.
Hard work, but rewarding
Corrections Nurse (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 26, 2017
MSDF is a great place to work, but you will work. You will get mandated though.
Expect to work weekends, holidays, and all different shifts. Everyone is great to work with though.
As an healthcare worker, caring for this population is rewarding
RN (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 5, 2017
productive and professionally rewarding to serve the under represented population. It is carrier lasting experience. One of the benefit of working for the company is their excellent healthcare benefits.
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
poor supervisory
Dept of Corrections is a great place to start a career in criminal justice
Office Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2017
A typical day at work is that everyday brings about a new challenge.
I have learned that people respond very well to common courtesy.
Management operates under the same blanket as its region.
My workplace culture is very diverse in personality, learning style, teaching style, professional background, ethnicity, and worldviews.
The hardest part about my job is dealing with the abrupt changes that take place daily.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery among my co-workers, when clients do well, the stability of the work schedule, and room for professional growth.
Pros
health insurance, flexibility
Cons
freeze on raises
Good experience working with offenders. Senior staff make the job easier. Asking your sargent goes
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 5, 2017
I was looking to advance as a correctional officer but the mandated nature was taking a toll on my family so I decided to use the correctional setting as a stepping stone to prepare for a career in law enforcement. I have had some great coaching from more senior staff who gave me some pointers on how to deal with offenders in a manner they can do nothing but respect.
Pros
Very nice staff, easy to find facility, room for advancement
Cons
Mandated over time, disrespectful inmates
It was a job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 28, 2017
I am very happy to not be in this profession anymore. The job was very stress full with very few benefits left after Act 10 was passed into law. Theres not a lot of room for advancement based on solid work ethic sadly
very challeging work place
CHAPLAIN (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 27, 2017
Management is unprofessional and inconsistent. The company show little value of their employees and lack moral support. The company offer no incentive for advancement.
Pros
working with and helping people
Cons
poor management
Rewarding job
AODA Counselor/ Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2016
A typical day is four groups a day, and two down periods to do one-on-one counseling sessions, meet with clients to address problematic behaviors and case notes. Security and safety is number one concern.
Pros
Great supervisor who are supporitive
Contact Person (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53218September 22, 2016
The people are very helpful. The atmosphere is welcoming and pleasure to work in. I love the hours and benefits. The experience is beneficial and helps you get to know the resources in the area. The opportunity to help others is worthwhile.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
paperwork
Great group of professionals. Love assisting offenders ecome better community residents.
Office Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work involves checking offenders in to see their agents, contacting that agent and data entry. Trainings have also become more of a routine because there are many advancements headed this way so the clerical staff has to remain on top of changes.
Productive and fun working with people who care
Operations Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 6, 2015
Obtaining the knowledge I need to succeed in day to day life of Department of Corrections. Working with a variety of diverse individuals.
Pros
Working with diverse individuals.
Cons
Healthcare
Good job
Probation and Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 27, 2013
Management is fair, compensation is adequate, lack of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexable schedule
Cons
negative environment
Very interesting place to work
Superving Office 2 (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 2, 2013
My typical day was to supervise a shift of 14 to 30 staff and 385 inmates, My job was to keep order in the prison and to insure the inmates were treated according to policy. I learned that working with different people tends to be interesting and can be difficult but not impossible. I worked closely with management and made sure all my reports and missions were completed in a timely manner. I enjoyed most of my co-workers and those that I had issues with were worked out to be able complete the mission.

The hardest part of the job was telling inmates their loved ones had passed away which I had to do on a regular basis, The people were the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Insurance, adventure
Cons
Injury, time away from family
Great place to work if you dont have family
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 9, 2013
Long hours, learned how to promote safety and custody in vital situations. Management was supportive and professional. Co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part was not being able to go home after your shift because someone called in. Most enjoyable was the constant training and opportunities.
Pros
Great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Stricked rules on associations be it family or not.