Wisconsin Department of Corrections Employee Reviews in Racine, WI

Awful management
Office Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMarch 4, 2019
Supervisors did not address workplace bullies even when brought to their attention. Workload inequalities and demands were overwhelming. Terrible environment.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible work environment
Terrible
Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMay 1, 2018
I have never worked for a place where every one was so depressed and hated their job as the State of Wisconsin. People are mostly good though, a little on the odd side.
Workload
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 28, 2018
The job is a thankless career, and not for everybody so of the biggest problems you will have is with your fellow staff. It was good experience but its not what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
Fast paced.
Client Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 12, 2018
Very diverse working environment. Every work day is different.There is a lot to learn some things change every day. People and staff are friendly. Great working hours.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No weekends
Over worked and underpaid
Correctional Officer/ERU Member (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 13, 2017
I chose to be a Correctional Officer after my time in Active Duty service. I intended to use it as a stepping stone into the broader world of law enforcement. The academy was seven weeks long, and was certainly informative, however not entirely applicable to the way things worked on the job. That said, I was already equipped for the job because of my previous training in the military.

You must have thick skin to be a CO, and you must also be able to make effective decisions very quickly and at very random times. A normal day can turn into a violent frenzy in the time it takes you to fill up your water bottle.
Not a bad place to work
CORRECTIONAL SERGEANT (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIDecember 7, 2017
It was an ok place to work. Many things to get involved in and many people to meet. You can work as many or as little hours as you choose. A lot to get involved in.
career oriented
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Racine, WINovember 5, 2017
Great stepping tool if this is your career. The training was direct and hands on. It prepares you for the every day life you can expect working in such a fast paced, readiness environment.
Anything can happen
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Racine, WISeptember 5, 2017
Working in a prison is different every day. Sometimes it can be busy and full of danger and other days can be slow and boring. There is not a typical day in the prison. Every day we start shift by checking inventory and doing a round around the unit to make sure nobody is breaking rules and nobody is injured or trying to injure themselves. On a good day the inmates are out for day room, school and recreation the majority of the day from 6:00am until 11:45pm. We are here to make sure problems are solved and inmates are safe. We often help rehabilitate inmates for their reentry onto the streets. Their will be some days where we have to deal with medical emergencies, suicide attempts, fights, inmates refusing to come out of their cells and other behavior problems.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to affectively communicate with inmates to solve problems quickly without having much aggression. The hardest part of my job is the mental stress. Knowing the crimes of some of these men and not treating anybody differently. They are all human beings and deserve to be treated as such regardless of their crime. It also becomes difficult when inmates are not compliant and you have to use force for them to become compliant.
Pros
30 PTO days, benefits
Cons
low pay, dangerous
Unproductive Extremely low morale environment
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 5, 2017
Management and supervisors are horrible. The need to make it a more kinder, gentle environment for inmates makes it an unsafe and possibly dangerous place to work.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Unsafe work environment
Great Law Enforcement Job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 12, 2015
Write reports, watch cameras, monitor inmates, conduct searches, oversee conditions of inmates, distribute medications to inmates, patrol the institutions, ensure policies of the institution are being followed by inmates and staff, transport inmates if necessary for work assignments, ensure safety and security at all times, distribute mail, fill out transfer forms, conduct counts of inmates, respond to emergency situations, and maintain records.
Fun place to work
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIMarch 28, 2015
It was a nice place to work. The entire day was scheduled for you. My fellow co-workers were always available to assist where ever needed.
Pros
job security
Cons
short staffed
stressful, poor management, bullies for managers, intimidating to other co-workers
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Racine, WISeptember 29, 2014
Never knowing if you have a job the next time you go into work. If an Inmate complains about you, you get investigated whether they are lying or not. When you try to treat the inmates as human beings you are told numerous times "they are inmates,prisoners, they deserve this" not allowed to talk to inmates or treat them with respect. If you do, they say you are fraternizing. They have the ability to fire you anytime for any reason within the first six months if they don't like you. I'm bitter because I did my job, I showed up for work everyday and I worked and sweat everyday. I never broke any rules and I did my very best, but always came home with a stressful headache. If you like your family life, stay away from this job. You have no family with this job other than the white shirts who think they own you. They tell you about advancement in the academy, but there isn't any. when you report to your job they tell you to forget everything you learned at the academy. Poor leadership, poor training, poor attitudes. Not a job for people with a heart.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
leadership, politics, clicks, mandatory overtime, no training on the job