Wisconsin Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Anything can happen
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Racine, WISeptember 5, 2017
Working in a prison is different every day. Sometimes it can be busy and full of danger and other days can be slow and boring. There is not a typical day in the prison. Every day we start shift by checking inventory and doing a round around the unit to make sure nobody is breaking rules and nobody is injured or trying to injure themselves. On a good day the inmates are out for day room, school and recreation the majority of the day from 6:00am until 11:45pm. We are here to make sure problems are solved and inmates are safe. We often help rehabilitate inmates for their reentry onto the streets. Their will be some days where we have to deal with medical emergencies, suicide attempts, fights, inmates refusing to come out of their cells and other behavior problems.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to affectively communicate with inmates to solve problems quickly without having much aggression. The hardest part of my job is the mental stress. Knowing the crimes of some of these men and not treating anybody differently. They are all human beings and deserve to be treated as such regardless of their crime. It also becomes difficult when inmates are not compliant and you have to use force for them to become compliant.
Pros
30 PTO days, benefits
Cons
low pay, dangerous
Work environment is terrible-Supervision is even worse
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WISeptember 2, 2017
The worst place I ever worked. Supervisor is a micro manager and is new in the position herself. Ask a question and she was too busy. The female offenders were the best part of working here as they just want someone to care.
Don't Do It
Education Clerk/HSED Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 29, 2017
There is no independence or time to yourself. It takes a long time to get acquainted to the area and job duties. Its also really early in the morning, which can be a problem for some people.
Working with real professionals.
Correctional Officer/Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIAugust 27, 2017
The hours can be long and there us the occasional slug to work with but most of my co-workers are good. The hardest part of the job is frequent changes in policy.
The Department of Corrections provided a place for me to earn a good living and provide for retirement
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIAugust 11, 2017
The job was very stressful but also very rewarding. I felt I was a good role model for inmates as they were preparing to transition back into society. It was important to be aware of your environment at all times and to be able to read peoples body language. I ended my career as the communications center sergeant so I had to be able to multitask. Constantly watching cameras and answering phones and controlling the doors.
As an healthcare worker, caring for this population is rewarding
RN (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 5, 2017
productive and professionally rewarding to serve the under represented population. It is carrier lasting experience. One of the benefit of working for the company is their excellent healthcare benefits.
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
poor supervisory
Good salary and benefits
Clinician Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fox Lake, WIAugust 2, 2017
I learned a lot from working for the State. Good orientation process, friendly work environment, and opportunities for growth and improvement. Good benefits and wage.
Pros
good benefits
Great Staff
Part-time Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 27, 2017
Everyone gets along. No drama among the staff. My boss is awesome. Can be stressful but everyone is accomodating. Day starts at 8:00 am and typically done at 4:00. Imates are courteous an polite.
benefits
Cons
It is a prison
Na
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Waupun, WIJuly 21, 2017
It can be good and frustrating on any given day. Dealing with criminals on a daily basis can be stressful but doing the job to the best of your abilities will get a person through the day
good
Business Analyst / Quality Specialist (Automation (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 1, 2017
Nice palce to work and learned a lot here too. I was able to perform my job responsibilites effectively with the management help and support. I recommend this place as nice to work
Challenging Environment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54301June 26, 2017
Challenging environment to work in. The most enjoyable part of the job is my colleagues. Difficult position primarily due to the clientele that this position serves.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stressful
Good work
Youth Counselor/ Correctional officer (Former Employee) –  Irma, WIJune 22, 2017
Great experience.

There are times where the inmates would be treated more fairly than the officers.

There are times when you had a feeling that no one had your back
Dept of Corrections is a great place to start a career in criminal justice
Office Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 18, 2017
A typical day at work is that everyday brings about a new challenge.
I have learned that people respond very well to common courtesy.
Management operates under the same blanket as its region.
My workplace culture is very diverse in personality, learning style, teaching style, professional background, ethnicity, and worldviews.
The hardest part about my job is dealing with the abrupt changes that take place daily.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the comradery among my co-workers, when clients do well, the stability of the work schedule, and room for professional growth.
Pros
health insurance, flexibility
Cons
freeze on raises
not for the faint of heart
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMay 8, 2017
the things you see on t.v. is worse then what you will experience in the institution. words cannot explain the experience that have done. there is no social life for a corrections officer. all your friends will be the people who you work with, but love it or hate it they will always have your back.
Pros
generally decent co-workers
Cons
occupational hazards
Unproductive Extremely low morale environment
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 5, 2017
Management and supervisors are horrible. The need to make it a more kinder, gentle environment for inmates makes it an unsafe and possibly dangerous place to work.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Unsafe work environment
Good experience working with offenders. Senior staff make the job easier. Asking your sargent goes
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 5, 2017
I was looking to advance as a correctional officer but the mandated nature was taking a toll on my family so I decided to use the correctional setting as a stepping stone to prepare for a career in law enforcement. I have had some great coaching from more senior staff who gave me some pointers on how to deal with offenders in a manner they can do nothing but respect.
Pros
Very nice staff, easy to find facility, room for advancement
Cons
Mandated over time, disrespectful inmates
It was a job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 28, 2017
I am very happy to not be in this profession anymore. The job was very stress full with very few benefits left after Act 10 was passed into law. Theres not a lot of room for advancement based on solid work ethic sadly
Challenging, rewarding and personal growth
Probation and Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIMarch 22, 2017
Being a Probation Agent was rewarding, at times stressful, yet enjoyable. It gives you a chance to understand human behavior and try to help people overcome their difficulties and understand themselves, the choices they make and their behaviors that lead to them being on Probation, Parole or Extended Supervision. There is never a quiet or dull day; rather it can be quite chaotic and sporadic. Time management is a must.
Pros
Flexible and health insurance
Cons
Lack of raises and incentives
Good health benefits
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Oregon, WIMarch 14, 2017
Maintain security and control of inmates; interpret and implement correctional facility policy and procedure; inspect and effectuate appropriate security, health and safety precautions; execute accurate records regarding inmate behavioral incidents; establish proper public relations with visitors to the institution.
Management/Supervisors bring low moral to work environment
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Oregon, WIMarch 11, 2017
Long demanding hours, was personally harassed by supervisors along with other employees. Reported the problem and nothing was ever done about it. Decent jobs, but treat employees poorly.
Pros
job security
Cons
poor pay, low moral, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wisconsin Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight