Wisconsin Department of Health Services Employee Reviews

Average
In Home Healthcare Aide (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53207December 22, 2018
I believe I provided the BEST home health care!!! Breakfast, lunch and dinners provided. Cleaning, shopping, laundry also provided.

I did my VERY BEST!! Family loved me!! Just ask!!!
Nurses beware
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 14, 2018
Brand new nurses fresh out of college are starting at a higher wage (sometimes $5 and hour more) than nurses who have been employed by the state for 10 years.
The State does not value experience or loyalty and we have been told that the ONLY way to get a raise is to apply for jobs elsewhere, get an offer from another company and present that offer to them- at that point they can decide if they want to match it or not..
Management is completely disconnected from the floor staff and it shows.
The buildings are old and dirty but the state won’t properly pay cleaning staff either.
Psychiatric patients are difficult so if you like psych and are up for a challenge you can learn a lot by working at MMHI, unfortunately you’ll figure out really quickly that everything I said above is true.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Wage inequity, Poor management
Strange and out of date
PERSONAL ASSISTANT IRIS (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIDecember 13, 2018
This was back in the day, so it was all laptop and scanners, so i would scan my time card and email it to them. however sometimes i would go weeks without seeing a check. i don't know what was going on at the headquarters but it just felt poorly organized
Poorly Managed
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 14, 2018
DHS is a huge, confusing mess. Poorly managed, in need of extensive reorganization, and streamlining of how jobs are performed and departments function.

Also, the building is old, and literally falling apart. Plus, cockroaches.
Pros
Free Meditation & Yoga
Cons
Everything Else
Not Recommended
Policy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 19, 2018
Poor management - common to blame employees for management failures. Higher levels of management cover and protect poor managers. Employees receive zero support from HR. HR works only for management. Employees are on their own.
Pros
Heath Insurance
Cons
Managers that rule by fear - have no idea what it is to be a leader
They reorganized, but they didn't reinvigorate.
Office associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 11, 2018
Being onboard with MilES when the county & state administration completed the hand-off of social service issuance from the former to the latter, I can say I know how benefits eligibility was handled before & after, & in neither case was the delivery optimal. Every day seemed another patch to comply, in the breach, with federal guidelines, but not to actually improve issuance.
Not recommended.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 1, 2018
RN working the floor on all units.Hard to tell who was more unstable...patients or staff. Serious drama issues from Director of Nursing down through the ranks. Union not supportive. As a RN you get exposed to a wide variety of Psychiatric patients. If it wasn't for the toxic work environment It would be a fantastic opportunity for nurses.
Pros
wages/benefits
Cons
Too much employee drama!
Interesting workplace
Limited Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 26, 2018
A lot of information to learn and people to learn from. Gained so much experience and many skills, but was underpaid and lacked benefits. Overall I was happy with my supervisor.
You must be white to succeed here
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53703March 22, 2018
Everyone in my position category was a person of color, except one, who left the second day of the job. I was the last person standing. My boss was always suspicious of me for no good reason.
Pros
good benefits, and work/life balance
Cons
racist culture
Nurturing Environment, nice people
Social Services Director (Current Employee) –  Winnebago, WIJanuary 17, 2018
Everyone here is very nice to work with. This is a team-oriented environment with opportunities to move around within. Lots of good training and work place enhancement activities.
Mediocre job
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIDecember 31, 2017
If you’re single with no kids this job would be good for you. Mandatory overtime varies from 2 times a month to 2-3 times a week depending how staffed we are at the time. There’s always overtime to pick up if you’re someone who likes it. But there are times where you’re told 10 minutes before your shift is done that you have to stay the next 8 hours and you can’t say no or you are written up. You can find people to take it though but sometimes no one wants it. That really is the worst thing about the job. They don’t care about people’s lives. If you have school the next day that isn’t an excuse. The only time you can say no is if there’s a doctors appointment in that time. There is drama but if you stay out of it you’re fine. Get lots of paid time off ( roughly 26 days a year) and you get about half of that when you first start and the other half after 6 months. Pays really good for how easy of a job it is. Usually 8 residents to two CNAs. Every third weekend off so only one a month and you have to work holidays there’s no type of rotation of those. Schedule isn’t flexible
Pros
Paid time off, good benefits, easy
Cons
Mandatory overtime, not flexible
Very educative
Groundwater Standards Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 27, 2017
The department provides a conducive environment for its staff and also provides learning opportunities for growth and development. Daily activities are well structured as well
Some good people, toxic management
Business Automation Senior (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2017
Most coworkers were great, had to leave Office of Health Informatics due to bullying by my manager and colleague. Could have been pleasant if it weren't for the petty and vindictive management.

The pettiness actually got to the point of my manager actively making it impossible for me to do my job and acting like a snarky teenage girl only to act dumbfounded when I walked out. They even tried to make me do work for them after I left and continued harassing me. Ultimately I had to threaten legal action to make them finally leave me alone. Pitiful and shameless. They have no honor.

I would not recommend working at DHS within OHI/HAS unless you like boredom, bullying, and stagnation.
Pros
Compensation is okay, location is nice
Cons
Toxic management, little to no innovation, outdated protocols.
Excellent benefits
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 21, 2017
Great opportunity. Lead worker. Great benefits. Opportunity for advancements. Able to train under great supervisors. Able to eat a lunch sometimes on them!
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Don't remember
good stepping stone
Correctional Officer/ EIT Member (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 16, 2017
if you want to get started good place to get entry level into corrections and law enforcement for the state level. Or if you enjoy helping people and patients
Have to be a people person with patience
Income Maintenance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 21, 2017
Department of Health and Human services is a great place to work if you have patience. It is a very high stress ob. Clients can become unruly but the management makes up for it. Overall my experience has been so-so
No family life
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Racine, WIJune 17, 2017
If you want a job where you get forced to work two shifts at least 2-3 times a week and have no life with your family then this is the place for you. They don't care about the staff, the pay is nice and the benefits are decent but that's about it. It's also filled with drama
Pros
Pay
Cons
Overworked
Great environment
Dental Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 28, 2017
Living and working in Madison is a true joy. The fiscal challenges faced by state government can be difficult, however, the people make things work one way or another.
pretty good
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIApril 1, 2017
laid back slow paced job. there's about three hours of work in an eight our day. Staff and clients have always been very friendly. Though the clients are there due to behavioral problems related to mental illness, so they are potentially dangerous. i did enjoy serving those less fortunate than myself.
Pros
lots of paid leave, state benefits
Cons
clients are potentially dangerous
Friendly environment to work
Operations Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 8, 2017
My workplace is the typical office setting with cubicles, it's a friendly environment. I've learned to work several data bases, and the many areas the Health Services provides support and assistance while working with public and private businesses regarding their needs for services we provide. Our work place is diverse in culture so I've gotten to know many different outlooks that my co-workers have on ideals that differ from mine. The hardest part of any job is correcting others errors in a data base for me. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the different people I work with, learning new ways of looking at getting things done.
Pros
Friendly environment for workers
Cons
Equal Oppuntunity for promotions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight