Wisconsin Department of Health Services Employee Reviews

You must be white to succeed here
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI 53703March 22, 2018
Everyone in my position category was a person of color, except one, who left the second day of the job. I was the last person standing. My boss was always suspicious of me for no good reason.
Pros
good benefits, and work/life balance
Cons
racist culture
Very educative
Groundwater Standards Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 27, 2017
The department provides a conducive environment for its staff and also provides learning opportunities for growth and development. Daily activities are well structured as well
Some good people, toxic management
Business Automation Senior (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2017
Most coworkers were great, had to leave Office of Health Informatics due to bullying by my manager and colleague. Could have been pleasant if it weren't for the petty and vindictive management.

The pettiness actually got to the point of my manager actively making it impossible for me to do my job and acting like a snarky teenage girl only to act dumbfounded when I walked out. They even tried to make me do work for them after I left and continued harassing me. Ultimately I had to threaten legal action to make them finally leave me alone. Pitiful and shameless. They have no honor.

I would not recommend working at DHS within OHI/HAS unless you like boredom, bullying, and stagnation.
Pros
Compensation is okay, location is nice
Cons
Toxic management, little to no innovation, outdated protocols.
good stepping stone
Correctional Officer/ EIT Member (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 16, 2017
if you want to get started good place to get entry level into corrections and law enforcement for the state level. Or if you enjoy helping people and patients
No family life
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Racine, WIJune 17, 2017
If you want a job where you get forced to work two shifts at least 2-3 times a week and have no life with your family then this is the place for you. They don't care about the staff, the pay is nice and the benefits are decent but that's about it. It's also filled with drama
Pros
Pay
Cons
Overworked
Great environment
Dental Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 28, 2017
Living and working in Madison is a true joy. The fiscal challenges faced by state government can be difficult, however, the people make things work one way or another.
pretty good
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIApril 1, 2017
laid back slow paced job. there's about three hours of work in an eight our day. Staff and clients have always been very friendly. Though the clients are there due to behavioral problems related to mental illness, so they are potentially dangerous. i did enjoy serving those less fortunate than myself.
Pros
lots of paid leave, state benefits
Cons
clients are potentially dangerous
excellent place to work
Nurse Consultant 1 - Entire state of WI (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 1, 2016
Great supportive team players and management. Staff really worked well together. Management was very supportive and a great resource. Excellent schedule working 4 ten hour days M-TH. Extensive travel in the entire state of Wisconsin, and then telework from a home office.
Pros
staff, management, compensation, schedule, telework
Cons
If you want to help people look elsewhere
Executive Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 31, 2016
When I first started at DHS the goal was to help as many people as possible to have access to healthcare. I actually felt I was part of something good, but that all changed when the administration changed. The new directive was to get as many people off of "Entitlement Programs".

I don't know how some of the people working there could just switch gears and happily come up with ways to reduce programs and coverage. The whole place is over-staffed with many people spending long hours each day on social media. I guess if you want a job where you can be an anonymous cog in the beauracracy this is a great place to work. Just do enough to look busy and you'll get a promotion to a job where you sit in meetings all and do even less actual work.
Pros
Getting overpaid for the amount of work required
Cons
Telling people their coverage was being cut
Great Job security and Government Bureacacy
Financial Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIsconsinMarch 23, 2015
Typically I get in and check my emails and mail for the day. I sort out the mail and pull out my bills. Then I go onto pay my bills for the day and then start other tasks. Such as; ordering supplies for the division. Next, I will do the travel requests for people and take care of hotels, registrations and airline tickets.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Government Culture
Chief Legal Counsel
Chief Legal Counsel (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 24, 2013
This position was, undoubtedly, the best position I have ever held. I thoroughly enjoyed the energy of the Department; the culture in which innovative and creative ideas and approaches were encouraged and implemented; the challenge of new projects designed to better the delivery of our services to the citizenry of the State of Wisconsin.

Departmental employees were urged to continue their education, to move "up the ladder", a singularly unique approach in a governmental environment. As a result, employees were enthusiastic, personable, and an overall joy to work with and for.

Obviously, however, the stereotypical challenges of working in a state governmental agency, subject to the political influences of any state, presented opportunities to meet unexpected obstacles. Fortunately, the Secretary fostered a workplace in which such opportunities presented the chance for employees to work in an environment in which hard work and dedication to our clients was most appreciated.
Pros
The freedom to be creative, providing critical services to the most vulnerable of WI's citizens.
Cons
The sense that sometimes you were unable to help everyone.
Diverse workplace
STD Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 15, 2013
Diverse workers with a lot of varying backgrounds, making for a very knowledgeable workplace. Supportive, attentive to detail, and collaborative all around.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 4, 2013
Co-workers were fun, respectful, and positive. A good working environment for individuals eager to help and provide resources to others.
Flexible hours
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIFebruary 28, 2013
I was able to pick which hours I wanted to work. I enjoyed caring for my client, and I got a great deal of satisfaction from being able to help someone manage her life more easily.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Wisconsin Department of Health Services Reviews by Job Title