Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

Lpn
LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  King, WIJanuary 31, 2019
The WI Veteran's Home at King, WI gives exceptional care to it's population. Unfortunately, this comes at a cost to employees. Nursing employees are held to high standards and required to complete overtime often with less than an hours notice. It is disheartening to be told with 2 minutes left of shift that you have to miss your child's Christmas recital and stay an extra 8 hours. It is fulfilling work if you are able to handle the forced shifts.
Pros
Fulfilling work
Cons
Forced OT
Great working with all 10 Northern Wisconsin Counties
Human Services Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hayward, WIJanuary 22, 2019
Challenging but rewarding working with veterans and their families and all the 10 Northern Wisconsin CVSO's. Working remotely and keeping my own schedule allowed me to get all my work completed on time and in a professional manner.
Pros
Good pay and Great people
Cons
Long time spent in car traveling to meet veterns
Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 19, 2018
Worked at the veterans home for years...was a nice place to work but the overtime got so bad and is still bad that you have no time for anything or family because your life is the veterans home. They do not care if you have kids, it is your responsibility to work long crazy hours and you better have back up child care. The pay is good but that is because you bust your butt off working there. There benefits are good though.
Pros
Make decent money
Cons
No life
Poor nursing management
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WINovember 3, 2018
DON and ADON do not assist much on the floor. Staff are expected not mandated but expected to work extra shifts . Patient to staff ratio is very good when fully staffed.
Work with residents to ensure quality of life
CNA - resident (Former Employee) –  King, WISeptember 24, 2018
Follow regulated guidelines, both State and Federal, in the performance of fulfilling care plans for residents.
Be flexible in personal life so that mandatory overtime is met.
Pros
the residents.
Cons
mandatory overtime
Just my experience
Cna2 (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIJuly 24, 2018
The job itself was a good one it just that the forcing is awful. The peers that I worked with we're friendly and helpful and if it wasn't for the forcing I would still be there.
Pros
The pay is above average
Cons
Mandatory forced overtime
State of Wisconsin Agency
I.S. Technical Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIMay 18, 2018
It is rewarding to work in a place that helps fellow veterans.
A state agency is a good place for entry level people in I.T to pursue their first position .
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIFebruary 17, 2018
work a average of 56 hours or more per week, consisting of 16 hour shifts. Management do not work well with those wanting to advance there education. Members cared for are a joy!
benefits
Cons
long hours of work
I loved working here but was only a LTE
LTE Office Associate Fair Child Hall (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WI 53182February 7, 2018
I served as a Office Associate . This was a brand new experience for me. I gained lots of knowledge .The position I was in was a very fast paced, hands on position,constantly changed in duties and responsibilities. I think that is what I enjoyed the most allowing me to be creative and have variety daily. I was able to improve area where needed as I went along.
Getting to serve and work along side those veterans who served are country was a real honor for me.
Pros
Variety of responsibilty and task, Build relationships with those who have served are country.
Cons
Time was short. Sometimes there to many interuptions and it was hard to focus on your job.
Ongoing forcing
Nursing assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIFebruary 1, 2018
You walk in to the previous shift mess to take care of. Wet patients that haven't been toileted since the first part of the previous person shift. Gather items for your shift to set-up, give water, get through the meals and patients ready for bed. 45-minutes before your shift end, you are force. On your monthly schedule you probably have 4 or 5 already scheduled forces, and now you are about to get scheduled to work another shift that you didn't mentally prepare for because you wasn't expecting to work overtime.
Pros
Cons
Force shifts/scheduled extra shifts/ over worked
a day in laundry
Laundry Worker (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIJanuary 4, 2018
you walk into the building
you take the stairs or elevator to get to the basement
you unlock the door if you are the first one to arrive
make sure you are wearing your badge
you sort thru the linens and personals
then load up the steam washers with linens or personals
Very nice is you like working and having no personal life
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WINovember 27, 2017
The pay is great and the benefits make the long days well worth it I would love to still be out there but I got an injury in which i was unable to perform my job.
Ehhhhhh
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIOctober 19, 2017
I loved my members and most of my coworkers
The forcing was unbelievable that was the hardest part of the job
Everything else about the job was pretty good. Never had more than 10 members on the pm shift
Benefits were awesome
a few things I don't like
FSA (Former Employee) –  King, WISeptember 25, 2017
I don't mind the work so much it's the their are no set hour to be honest, witch is start to bug me for the last year and half. I don't like the over time because we are so short shift that you are working 50 to 60 Hours a week. I like overtime but right now I feel like I have no life outside of work.
Dream Job and Very rewarding work.
Human Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WISeptember 25, 2017
This job was self pace and management was not overly involved with day to day operations. There was no typical day. The workplace culture was working with Veterans and helping prior military.
Had a blest with the people there
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIAugust 29, 2017
It's a nice relaxed place where you can retired at . Every one get alone with one another.Communication is on point no lack of work at all. Love to be there and go back as well.
Pros
Nice lunch area
Cons
30 min breaks
Rewarding work experience providing services to veterans
Social Work Internship (Former Employee) –  King, WIAugust 17, 2017
Excellent work environment with a hard working team. Challenging but rewarding. The job fostered a good environment for teamwork and collaboration for advocating for veterans.
Productive and fun place to work
Medical Program Assistant Associate (Former Employee) –  King, WIAugust 9, 2017
I loved my job at the Veterans Home. It was very fulfilling to work with our Veterans on a daily basis. I worked with the nurses and doctors to make sure that the resident had the best of care.
Pros
Great staff to work with
Cons
Being forced to stay over
Poor work environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  OlsonJuly 8, 2017
Staff that provides direct patient care is excellent, very poor and arrogant management, who are more interested in looking good, is indifferent toward staff. CNA staff often forced into working 16 shifts Every second to third day. High turn over rate for CNA due to burn out. LPNs are forced to work as CNA because of staffing shortages. If you expect any normal schedule or have a family this is not the place to be.
Pros
Benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Unsafe place to work
Looking for an good State Job this is the company.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WisconsinJuly 5, 2017
Good company to work for if you don't have small children or don't want to work a lot of Overtime. The people that you take care of are very important and were important in their prime of Life.
Pros
Making more money in an year than at any other job I've ever worked before.
Cons
Great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. Our community is ready to answer.

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews by Location