Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews in King, WI

Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 19, 2018
Worked at the veterans home for years...was a nice place to work but the overtime got so bad and is still bad that you have no time for anything or family because your life is the veterans home. They do not care if you have kids, it is your responsibility to work long crazy hours and you better have back up child care. The pay is good but that is because you bust your butt off working there. There benefits are good though.
Pros
Make decent money
Cons
No life
Work with residents to ensure quality of life
CNA - resident (Former Employee) –  King, WISeptember 24, 2018
Follow regulated guidelines, both State and Federal, in the performance of fulfilling care plans for residents.
Be flexible in personal life so that mandatory overtime is met.
Pros
the residents.
Cons
mandatory overtime
a few things I don't like
FSA (Former Employee) –  King, WISeptember 25, 2017
I don't mind the work so much it's the their are no set hour to be honest, witch is start to bug me for the last year and half. I don't like the over time because we are so short shift that you are working 50 to 60 Hours a week. I like overtime but right now I feel like I have no life outside of work.
Rewarding work experience providing services to veterans
Social Work Internship (Former Employee) –  King, WIAugust 17, 2017
Excellent work environment with a hard working team. Challenging but rewarding. The job fostered a good environment for teamwork and collaboration for advocating for veterans.
Productive and fun place to work
Medical Program Assistant Associate (Former Employee) –  King, WIAugust 9, 2017
I loved my job at the Veterans Home. It was very fulfilling to work with our Veterans on a daily basis. I worked with the nurses and doctors to make sure that the resident had the best of care.
Pros
Great staff to work with
Cons
Being forced to stay over
Looking for an good State Job this is the company.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WisconsinJuly 5, 2017
Good company to work for if you don't have small children or don't want to work a lot of Overtime. The people that you take care of are very important and were important in their prime of Life.
Pros
Making more money in an year than at any other job I've ever worked before.
Cons
Great benefits.
productive workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJune 28, 2017
A typial day at work was very busy with patient care. The administration is very friendly. I learned about how to assist patients with their needs, including, bathing, toileting, feeding and oral care.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
understaffed
Always able to pick up more hours. Not family friendly.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJune 1, 2017
I liked working as a CNA. You were always able to pick up hours as the shifts were short staffed many times. They do force you to stay over so your schedule should be able to have some flexibility. You accumulate vacation time and the benefits are better then most.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Maybe forced over
Working with America's Hero's.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  King, WIMay 18, 2017
Typical day includes assisting with daily activities and cares for the members. Examples would be assisting with bathing, feeding, exercise and transfers. Just like any any long-term nursing facility we have a wide range of care from those that are independent to those who are complete care. What I love most about King is they have multiple ways to aide with cares and transfers to make the job easier. They take employee health/injuries very seriously. Unlike other assisted living facilities you never need to cook, clean, pass medications or do laundry. Your prime focus is ONLY the member. You generally care from 3-16 people at a time, but if you have 16 most of them are independent and don't require as much attention.

Management generally does a great time keeping on top of things. I will be honest sometimes it can be very difficult to reach your ADON (assistant directer of nursing) or the DON (directer of nursing) but serious issues are resolved immediately.

Hardest part about the job is flexible schedule. Although you get 25 days of paid vacation right away if you are a student this is not applicable and hard to balance. They try their best to allow balance between work-personal life, but just like most careers in healthcare there is a nation wide shorting of staff.

Apply! Take a chance, you may love it!
Pros
Will pay and certify you to aquire your license. You get paid while in class as well.
Cons
Need more staff, short on PM shift so this results in forcing. We never work short, pro and con. Schedule is NOT flexible, but offer every other weekend. Weekends and holidays are not guaranteed.
Amazing place of employment.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  King, WIApril 25, 2017
You could not ask for a better facility to place your loved one. Staff and management work tirelessly to provide an incredible and safe experience for residents.
Professional Work Place, fun employees and good pay
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  King, WIJanuary 14, 2017
A typical day at work would include caring for veterans and helping them with their activities of daily living. I learned how to be patient with people and focus on their needs. Management throughout the company could be better but our employees are great so it makes up for it! The hardest part of the job would be moving from building to building and never knowing the members. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with such fun people!
Pros
great employees
Cons
mandatory forcing
Wvh
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJuly 1, 2016
The worst part about this job was having to work 2 weekends and then 1 off and so one. In the summer you where lucky to get 4 weekends off to try and enjoy with your family. You would want to go home after your 8 hour shift and at the last minute would could get forced for a 16 hour shift if no one else would come in for you, even thou they would not allow you to work a 24 hour shift in 48 hours,but it was a long 3 days.
Pros
every other weekend
Cons
working 2 weekends, 1 off
A wonderful community for veterans
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 23, 2014
As a CNA our days started by getting members up and ready for the morning, feed breakfast, take members to appointments or activities, toileting, set up for lunch, toilet and lay down if needed.

I learned to assist people that may have been through traumatic experiences.

Management was available but was not willing always willing to assist with internal issues.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of team work.

The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the members. The stories I heard were remarkable and I will always cherish the memories I have with the members.
Pros
good pay and benfits
Cons
heavy workload
Great workplace
Social Work Internship (Current Employee) –  King, WIOctober 14, 2014
very great work place with many great employees.I enjoyed many different facets and gained experience in knowledge in working with veterans.
worse place in the state for a union worker to work.
cna 2 and food service 2 (Former Employee) –  King, WIOctober 3, 2013
management made it very ruff on union staff and even ruffer on union board staff. But the union tried to keep it safe for staff and members. A lot of good staff to work with and good equipment. Hardest part was management required you to be perfect or get wrote up. They would go back into you past all the way to the day you was born. If they found something it did not matter if you met Wiscosin nursing standards. It was Fredal standards that they don,t tell you about when your hire. They can use that to let you go. Best enjoyable thing was wastaking care of the veterns and hering there family talk so postive about how good a care you was giving there family member. The family members war storys. Plus the honor of working with some great DON,s RN,s LPN,s and cna,s. Dont belief or trust most of the management from adon,s on up because most don,t care what you think fell or say. If you talk back well you just might get let go.
Pros
taking care of some great veterns
Cons
staff from adon, s on up that don, t care what you think or fell and say that want your in put but really don, t . They well use the to replace you.
Amazing place to work, but odd scheduling
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJuly 15, 2013
The scheduling for my position was for nights in one particular building, but it would sometimes be changed to a different shift in another building that I was unfamiliar with. Staff was very helpful and was always willing to lend a hand. The patients were easy to make friends with and always had a kind word for everyone. The hardest part was the scheduling and working in buildings I was not familiar with. Working here made me want to improve myself and my skills.
Pros
excellent staff, friendly patients
Cons
working in unfamiliar buildings
Great work place with up beat people and full of optimism
CNA 2 /Caregiver (Current Employee) –  King, WIApril 15, 2013
A typical day always starts a little hectic but doesn't take much to get into flow of things. I've learned great team work and people skills also the ability to build some problem solving skills as well. Every employee I've had the opportunity to talk with was very polite and respectful. The hardest part of working with the elderly is that there will be a day that they wont be there anymore, but it is most rewarding knowing that you were able to spend valuable time with these people and make a difference in their lives by providing them with top quality care and love.
Pros
working with people, many potlucks and very co-worker friendly
Cons
lunch break seemed too short, wish there was more time for one on one with patients
Team orrientated great people to work with
LTE Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 5, 2012
A typical day included working on the TCGRx Machine while assisting fellow employees with processing, picking, and dispensing medications for the members. There is a lot of mulit-tasking involved with this position including answering phones, filing, and medication preparation. The people I worked with were real charactors, you never knew what was going to be said or how hard you would laugh about it until it happened. I actually enjoyed going to work everyday. The hardest part of the job was the day when we had to work shorthanded, but we all helped each other and the day flew by. The most enjoyable part of the job was the diversity in duties.
Pros
a great work experience with great people
Cons
lte position, no benefits or pto