Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs

Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews for Nursing Assistant

Cna
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 19, 2018
Worked at the veterans home for years...was a nice place to work but the overtime got so bad and is still bad that you have no time for anything or family because your life is the veterans home. They do not care if you have kids, it is your responsibility to work long crazy hours and you better have back up child care. The pay is good but that is because you bust your butt off working there. There benefits are good though.
Pros
Make decent money
Cons
No life
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Union Grove, WIFebruary 17, 2018
work a average of 56 hours or more per week, consisting of 16 hour shifts. Management do not work well with those wanting to advance there education. Members cared for are a joy!
benefits
Cons
long hours of work
Ongoing forcing
Nursing assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIFebruary 1, 2018
You walk in to the previous shift mess to take care of. Wet patients that haven't been toileted since the first part of the previous person shift. Gather items for your shift to set-up, give water, get through the meals and patients ready for bed. 45-minutes before your shift end, you are force. On your monthly schedule you probably have 4 or 5 already scheduled forces, and now you are about to get scheduled to work another shift that you didn't mentally prepare for because you wasn't expecting to work overtime.
Pros
Cons
Force shifts/scheduled extra shifts/ over worked
Very nice is you like working and having no personal life
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WINovember 27, 2017
The pay is great and the benefits make the long days well worth it I would love to still be out there but I got an injury in which i was unable to perform my job.
Ehhhhhh
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIOctober 19, 2017
I loved my members and most of my coworkers
The forcing was unbelievable that was the hardest part of the job
Everything else about the job was pretty good. Never had more than 10 members on the pm shift
Benefits were awesome
Poor work environment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  OlsonJuly 8, 2017
Staff that provides direct patient care is excellent, very poor and arrogant management, who are more interested in looking good, is indifferent toward staff. CNA staff often forced into working 16 shifts Every second to third day. High turn over rate for CNA due to burn out. LPNs are forced to work as CNA because of staffing shortages. If you expect any normal schedule or have a family this is not the place to be.
Pros
Benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Unsafe place to work
Looking for an good State Job this is the company.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WisconsinJuly 5, 2017
Good company to work for if you don't have small children or don't want to work a lot of Overtime. The people that you take care of are very important and were important in their prime of Life.
Pros
Making more money in an year than at any other job I've ever worked before.
Cons
Great benefits.
productive workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJune 28, 2017
A typial day at work was very busy with patient care. The administration is very friendly. I learned about how to assist patients with their needs, including, bathing, toileting, feeding and oral care.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
understaffed
Always able to pick up more hours. Not family friendly.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJune 1, 2017
I liked working as a CNA. You were always able to pick up hours as the shifts were short staffed many times. They do force you to stay over so your schedule should be able to have some flexibility. You accumulate vacation time and the benefits are better then most.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Maybe forced over
Working with America's Hero's.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  King, WIMay 18, 2017
Typical day includes assisting with daily activities and cares for the members. Examples would be assisting with bathing, feeding, exercise and transfers. Just like any any long-term nursing facility we have a wide range of care from those that are independent to those who are complete care. What I love most about King is they have multiple ways to aide with cares and transfers to make the job easier. They take employee health/injuries very seriously. Unlike other assisted living facilities you never need to cook, clean, pass medications or do laundry. Your prime focus is ONLY the member. You generally care from 3-16 people at a time, but if you have 16 most of them are independent and don't require as much attention.

Management generally does a great time keeping on top of things. I will be honest sometimes it can be very difficult to reach your ADON (assistant directer of nursing) or the DON (directer of nursing) but serious issues are resolved immediately.

Hardest part about the job is flexible schedule. Although you get 25 days of paid vacation right away if you are a student this is not applicable and hard to balance. They try their best to allow balance between work-personal life, but just like most careers in healthcare there is a nation wide shorting of staff.

Apply! Take a chance, you may love it!
Pros
Will pay and certify you to aquire your license. You get paid while in class as well.
Cons
Need more staff, short on PM shift so this results in forcing. We never work short, pro and con. Schedule is NOT flexible, but offer every other weekend. Weekends and holidays are not guaranteed.
Working on the floor.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waupaca, WIMay 15, 2017
Working at the Wisconsin Veterans Home is a good place to work if you are single, but family life is hard to balance, but doable. The atmosphere is fun and uplifting, due to staff working well together as a team. On the downside we get forced a lot because of call-ins and that's what makes it hard because a person never knew if they would be able to leave or getting forced over.

Overall, I enjoyed working at this facility, but am definitely ready to move forward and open more doors for opportunity.
Pros
Good atmosphere with co-workers
Cons
Forced Over to 16hr shifts.
Professional Work Place, fun employees and good pay
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  King, WIJanuary 14, 2017
A typical day at work would include caring for veterans and helping them with their activities of daily living. I learned how to be patient with people and focus on their needs. Management throughout the company could be better but our employees are great so it makes up for it! The hardest part of the job would be moving from building to building and never knowing the members. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with such fun people!
Pros
great employees
Cons
mandatory forcing
Wvh
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJuly 1, 2016
The worst part about this job was having to work 2 weekends and then 1 off and so one. In the summer you where lucky to get 4 weekends off to try and enjoy with your family. You would want to go home after your 8 hour shift and at the last minute would could get forced for a 16 hour shift if no one else would come in for you, even thou they would not allow you to work a 24 hour shift in 48 hours,but it was a long 3 days.
Pros
every other weekend
Cons
working 2 weekends, 1 off
Nice lunch room
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippewa Falls, WIJanuary 25, 2016
They are under staffed! They treat certain people better then others. They are under staffed and some of the nurses aren't the best along with some aides! They need more training or something.
Pros
Nice lunch room
Cons
Not enough staff
interesting environment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union Grove, WIMay 12, 2015
Working with veterans was a great experience. I learned a lot about different things people did to serve our country. The co-workers were great team players, management was good and there when staff needed them. The hardest part about this job was deaf. The great part was meeting members that earned metals and recognition.
A wonderful community for veterans
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WINovember 23, 2014
As a CNA our days started by getting members up and ready for the morning, feed breakfast, take members to appointments or activities, toileting, set up for lunch, toilet and lay down if needed.

I learned to assist people that may have been through traumatic experiences.

Management was available but was not willing always willing to assist with internal issues.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of team work.

The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the members. The stories I heard were remarkable and I will always cherish the memories I have with the members.
Pros
good pay and benfits
Cons
heavy workload
Amazing place to work, but odd scheduling
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  King, WIJuly 15, 2013
The scheduling for my position was for nights in one particular building, but it would sometimes be changed to a different shift in another building that I was unfamiliar with. Staff was very helpful and was always willing to lend a hand. The patients were easy to make friends with and always had a kind word for everyone. The hardest part was the scheduling and working in buildings I was not familiar with. Working here made me want to improve myself and my skills.
Pros
excellent staff, friendly patients
Cons
working in unfamiliar buildings
Great work place with up beat people and full of optimism
CNA 2 /Caregiver (Current Employee) –  King, WIApril 15, 2013
A typical day always starts a little hectic but doesn't take much to get into flow of things. I've learned great team work and people skills also the ability to build some problem solving skills as well. Every employee I've had the opportunity to talk with was very polite and respectful. The hardest part of working with the elderly is that there will be a day that they wont be there anymore, but it is most rewarding knowing that you were able to spend valuable time with these people and make a difference in their lives by providing them with top quality care and love.
Pros
working with people, many potlucks and very co-worker friendly
Cons
lunch break seemed too short, wish there was more time for one on one with patients