Woodfords Family Services Employee Reviews

Woodfords
Team Leader/DSP/CRMA (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJuly 16, 2019
I like the clients but the staff and management was not the best. It was exciting to teach clients new skills that they could use in their daily life.
Sounded good at first, but disappointing
Behavioral Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 10, 2019
When I first applied to Woodfords I made sure to express that I needed to be full time, they seemed really excited to hire me but when I started working there I could barely get over 20 hours each week. I loved the work I did with consumers though, but it is extremely consuming especially since management rarely ever comes in to help or supervise. The pay sounded great at first but unless you're full time, you'll barely get by since there;s no benefits. Workplace culture is kind of like a high school setting, but still somewhat professional. I'd recommend this job to someone who has financial support from a family member or spouse but this isn't a job for someone that needs to make a living wage.
Pros
The learning center has a lot of resources, helping people every day
Cons
Lack of hours, cultural competency in the office, benefits, and communication
Quality Company
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEMarch 9, 2019
I enjoyed working for this company. There were many opportunities to volunteer and give back to the community. They offer many employee engagement events. The company is organized and the communication is appreciated with any changes or subjects of note. I had a sense of pride working for this company and I felt that what I did on a day to day basis helped the community this company serves.
Pros
Benefits, sense of community, department outings, volunteer opportunities
Cons
Micromanagement in certain departments
Productive and satisfying work place
CRMA/DSP (Current Employee) –  Westbrook MaineOctober 30, 2018
Very relaxed place to work. Great Management and trainings! Employee recognition for your accomplishments is also wonderful! Quick responses from management when in need.
Great if your going to school!
Behavioral health professional (Current Employee) –  Bangor, meOctober 26, 2018
It should not be your full till job, but woodfords is a great place to work of you are going to school! The hours are kind of if-y though. However, the bosses are great and care a lot about you.
Pros
Travel pay, Benefits
Cons
Lack of continuous hours
Responsive Management & Collaborative, Supportive Team Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEOctober 18, 2018
I currently work in an administrative role & enjoy it immensely. I have built great relationships with the individuals & families we serve which make long days worthwhile. My experience with management is very positive; I am able to openly share concerns & ideas knowing that my insight is valued & acted upon when possible. Additionally, as a disabled employee, I feel Woodfords has exceeded my expectations of accommodating my needs so I can feel the most comfortable & be successful in my role.
Pros
Receptive management, supportive environment
Cons
High turn over in other departments, scary budget concerns due to DHHS/MaineCare
poor managament
Behavioral health specialist (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEAugust 20, 2018
poor management, supervisor uninterested in employees' opinions. Poor supervision clinically and low level of group discusion when it came to clients.
stressful
Behavioral Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJuly 5, 2018
Management is great, for the most part. There can be a lack of support at times where you are left to fend for yourself. Families can be extremely stressful to work with.
Reality versus reputation
Supervisor or Director (Former Employee) –  maineJune 18, 2018
Very limited quality supervision - supervisors often have less experience and education than those they supervise. Extensive micromanagement and lack of belief in decision making and knowledge of professional level staff. Lot of lip service of staff recognition but very poor in delivery.
Meaningful work with caring people
School Based Behavioral Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Topsham, MEFebruary 20, 2018
Woodfords is a great job to build an professional experience base with room to grow in the organization. Unfortunately it does not pay as well as some other organizations that do the same work.
Pros
great work life culture that is supportive and fun.
Cons
poor pay
the hardest part of the job
Therapeutic Foster Home Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 27, 2018
If you have issues with upper management, it is not addressed as it should be. One manager had several complaints and remained because she was willing to work unlimited hours.
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 4, 2018
As with all DSP work, it's rough but I felt WFS pays better than most. I loved my supervisor, he's still with the company now. CEO was amazing, got us through the economy slump after 2008 without any layoffs. Wish there were more opps for advancement. Good training. More ETO that most other places I've worked. I left to go to school, would have returned if there was a job open that matched my education and skill set at that point but there was not.
Working with adults with Intellectual Disabilities
DSP/CRMA (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 28, 2017
A lot of other agencies will pay more than Woodfords to do this. But, the other agencies have violent clients. This is not tolerated at Woodfords so it is definitely a perk to working there. The main focus needs to be enriching the lives of individuals within their own homes and out in the community. This is done through teaching them to live more independently and safely. It can be really enjoyable as long as you maintain a positive attitude!
Pros
Great clients! Little to no violent behaviors. Excellent trainings offered.
Cons
Lower pay than some other agencies, many unqualified staff
good company to work for
BHP-P (Former Employee) –  Newport, MEDecember 18, 2017
Great company to work for but the work can be stressful and mentally exhausting. Working with children on the Autism Spectrum can be challenging but extremely rewarding.
Overall experience was rewarding
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Westbrook, MENovember 26, 2017
I enjoyed working with those in Independent Living and took extra shifts when available, and when I could, to work with those in Residential Living. The hardest part of job was not knowing what you face each day with consumers. Most enjoyable part was knowing your presence helped someone feel include and appreciated in their own efforts. Typical day was 8 hours but as long as 12 hours. I learned that we all need to feel included and appreciated for whom we are.
Pros
Somewhat flexible schedule when working with Independant consumers
Cons
Not sure
Fair and compassionate place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Central MaineOctober 11, 2017
Woodfords has been a very good employer. I can honestly say that I have not met anyone there that I disliked. Everyone is supportive and they really try to make sure that your worklife is rewarding.
Pros
supportive, professional environment
blah
House Manager/ Direct Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 14, 2017
hard place to work, not much money, people were great, job stunk, on call 24/7, lots of responsibility, basically the parent for mentally disabled people
Nice people that work for the company, but bring wrok home all the time
Direct Support Professional/ House Manager (Current Employee) –  Gorham, MEFebruary 4, 2017
A typical day at work, is firstly I'm on call 24/7 so I could get a call at any point and have to go work. If not called in I arrive at the house around 8am; Greet my consumers and staff working. I make sure the overnights have followed through with their work that needed to be done. I then pass medication to my consumers. After medication I have time to plan for the day. I try and find activities for the consumers to participate in the community. Also during this time I have time to sit down with my staff to do monthly supervisions. These last about 1 hour each staff member. If I've completed my supervisions for the month I then answer emails, phone calls from providers or parents, make schedules for the following week and documentation for the state of Maine. The job is a very high turnover rate for staff so I'd say the hardest part of the job is retaining staff and getting new staff in.
Pros
Weekends off, rewarding
Cons
On call 24/7, Staff always leaving
Family is their middle name
BHP/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEJanuary 20, 2017
Woodfords is a wonderful company to work for, they take great care of their employees. The supervisors are flexible and easy to contact when you need them. As someone who has worked both out in the field and inside the building it is easy to communicate with the individuals that need you help from.
Great place
DSP/CRMA (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MEDecember 19, 2016
I really enjoy working for Woodfords Family Services, however management needs improvement along with residential staff. Many people are not a good fit for this job and are here for the paycheck. Due to lack of staffing, a lot of managers look past what the employees lack.
Pros
Clients are wonderful to work with
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woodfords Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Woodfords Family Services Reviews by Location