Woodforest National Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,091 reviews matching the search See all 1,094 reviews
Stressful, unfair
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXMarch 18, 2019
Job is stressful, don't pay incentive. Hours were ok and work weekends. Managment is very unfair. Will let you go and find reason to fire you. Marketing all day
Its an okay bank job
Retail Banker II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2019
If you can get yourself a good manager, who cares, and works with you. Then you'll have it made. Pay is ok if you are just starting but if you are experienced in banking then you're most likely be underpaid. Benefits are so so.
Pros
An okay bank starting job.
Cons
Pay, scheduling, management was poorly, no life outside work
banking
Supervisor/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 18, 2019
worked fulltime as a teller and customer service agent, handled cash transactions and helped open checking and savings account for customers. I also trained to become a supervisor at the branch
Ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHMarch 14, 2019
The job requirements were absolutely ridiculous although it did allow me to gain experience in cash handling, customer service, and sales experience..
Pros
experience
Cons
job requirements
Retail Banker
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 5, 2019
Working for this company is not ideal if you have a family. The work hours are long and the bank is open everyday. There is no career development tools or opportunity to advance.
Teller and Customer Serviced
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INMarch 5, 2019
Worked as a teller,. Set up new accounts, Marketing, count money in the vault and made up new accounts folders for new customers. The hardest part was standing all day with no breaks.
Pros
Free checking account.
Cons
No breaks.
Do not work here
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCMarch 5, 2019
The customers are allowed to open bank accounts when they owe other banks many. Many do not understand the overdraft policy and constantly overdraft accounts. They will continue to get angry not understanding the banking process. High sales goals and understaffed. You are on your feet all day and will have to do the managers role. Asked to work 11 hours a day without more than a twenty-minute break. If you take a break or clock out they will not give you the mandatory 40 hours per week. Extremely difficult and disorganized as a company. District leaders are unsympathetic and do not care about the team. There is a lot of corruption within the company and rule-breaking for irate customers.
Pros
overtime
Cons
short breaks, horrible management
Work Here To Gain Experience
Retail Banker/Teller (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 4, 2019
A company that I could NEVER work for again. They work you like crazy, the managers are rude, they don't promote from within, you work almost everyday, the upper management is just as rude
lunch? What is that?
Breaks? What are those?
Pros
Getting paid a day early, gain banking experience to find a better bank
Cons
Everything else
Wages were not competitive, insurance was expensive, manager was difficult to work for
Retail Banker II (Former Employee) –  Warren, PAMarch 1, 2019
After being banking for 5 years, adjusting to this work environment was difficult. The hours were tough (7 days a week), the insurance was very poor, and at the time I was employed, each of my supervisors were difficult to work under. I wouldn't say unprofessional, but lacked motivation in their positions which in turn made it impossible to have it in ours.
Fun workplace
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 28, 2019
I wish I could have continued or relocated but I wasn't able to transfer unfortunately. I loved the fast pace environment of the location I worked at and all the possible bonuses

Want to know more about Woodforest National Bank?

Ask a question
rough place to work at any level
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 28, 2019
Worked for Woodforest as a branch manager for almost 10 years, the most thankless tiresome job I've ever had in 35 years of banking. Not so much a bank as it's a glorified check cashing location. Extremely long hours sometimes 11hrs a day 7 days a week. Typical work week is 55 hours for branch managers. Branches are consistently understaffed. Highest turnover I've ever encountered and I've been in sales positions my entire career. Retention rates were once posted at an annual sales meeting of 32% for hourly employees, 28% for branch managers, and 25% for regional managers. A woman from HR explained to a room full of managers (105 people) for 1.5 hours how we could, at the operations level, change the corporate global problem of high turnover. All of the points explained were good practices for taking care of your team (days off when requested, listening daily to staff comments, keeping team engaged in promotions, policy changes, training....), but nothing was revealed to explain how "corporate" was addressing the turnover. When this was pointed out it was retorted by stating "You just don't sound like a team player." Question was asked what corporate was doing to improve turnover at "Branch Mgr" level the reply was Branch Mgr's should be self motivated. How does HR/corporate expect to improve turnover when they just spent 160 man hours explaining for 1.5 hours to 105 people good methods when they only expect to keep 28% of that group for the year? No reply!

Advancement is based on political connections within the company via family or long term friends...nepotism.
  more... You either marry into it or you bring a whole lot of chap stick. The bank did outsource a new CEO which made for an amusing period of watching the rats jump around the ship in Houston. I wish her well in her endeavor to re-make Woodforest into a Bank for all of it's markets not just Texas.

You have to produce. It is a high pressure sales environment, if you don't produce you don't survive. You are forced to ride your staff like mules. Goals are made for you and they are unrealistic. The "bank" makes it's money from fee's, in the outer markets (everything outside for TX) it simply does not lend. No home loans. Few auto loans maybe 1 per year. Credit line is offered on DDA's with high revolving interest. CRA is a nightmare and has been for years. It has a solid profit line that consistently repeats, but it's all based on overdraft/ATM/account opening fees.

Compensation is on the higher side when starting with the bank, after that forget it. Increases are small irregardless of production, incentive is based on goal metrics which when achieved are vastly increased. As a manager just plan on living at the branch, say goodbye to your family and bring a sleeping bag.

Training is an online slideshow. Many of the regional managers receive the same training slideshow and then they are supposed to be able to explain, promote, improve.....every employee outside of corporate is "universal" which looks good on paper. Few employees can achieve a level of competence for all aspects of bank operations, yet it is excepted at near perfection. Having 4500+ employees be competent in all aspects of bank operations is a wonderful aspiration, but grossly unrealistic. Some managers (at lower levels) are promoted simply because they survived and there was an immediate need.

There are good people working for this place. I wish them well and hope they find a way out that is good for them and their families. Unfortunately, this cultural model is throughout the entire bank, no department is immune. I state this with second hand knowledge, but after seeing/hearing enough stories and watching the names change on department rosters it's clearly evident. This is a poisonous place to work.
Cons
Sweet Jesus the list is too long
Great learning
Retail Banker II (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXFebruary 25, 2019
This is a very busy bank inside Walmart. You would have to move to advance. The customers are great but can hard to work with at times as is in Retail. If you want to learn about the bank come here first you will learn it all.
Pros
Plenty of overtime, Great Experience
Cons
No room to Advance small Bank
Terrible management
Retail Banker/Teller (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 23, 2019
This place is an absolute joke. Unobtainable and unrealistic goals. Forced to basically beg people to open accounts. Management at this location is horrible. Treats customers and staff like dogs. Wouldn’t recommend anybody working or banking here. Very middle school like attitudes. If you don’t kiss butt you won’t be treated fairly. Long hours without breaks. Forced to stand 10 hours a day while management either left early or sat at a desk talking on their phones.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Long hours with no breaks. Terrible managers
Productive, and enjoyable work place
Branch Manager I (Former Employee) –  Warren, PAFebruary 23, 2019
I have worked with this company for 10 yrs 7 months, .it has had its up and downs, especially with employee turnover.
Working with customers and helping them everyday with their accts, finding the right products for them i'ts rewarding.
Ive learned alot from this company and I plan to take what I learned and use it in my next adventure in life.
Team Players
BRANCH MANGER (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCFebruary 18, 2019
Woodforest is a great place to work. We have great customers and everybody plays as a team. We all work hard and sometimes long hours but working as a team makes it easy.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Hours
A lot of traffic
RETAIL BANKER II (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILFebruary 14, 2019
I would recommend this job to any friends great place to work. Fast paced very friendly co workers are the friendliest also the manager is very cool but helps you to accomplish tasks
Good Company
Assistant Manager, Senior Banker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2019
Great for those looking to get their foot in the door in the banking industry. Great place to learn basic sales, banking and management inside a high traffic location.
Horrible
Retail Banker II (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 9, 2019
This was the worst banking job I'd ever experienced over the 14 years I have in this industry. This is an in-store bank and the hours are more geared towards retail store hours. They hire the worst people to work here. If you have traditional banking experience, you don't want to work here.
the place is a joke
Retail Banker (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 8, 2019
There's a lack of training. You work a lot of hours and don't have a lot of personal time. They fire you without having a write up. The pay is great though. My branch manager was great..
Pros
relaxed
Cons
work all day
Good company to work for during school
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
I will not write a statement . OKay company that's all Good company to work for during school.. There is not more to say about the company. Nice people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woodforest National Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight