Woodman's Food Market Employee Reviews

Woodmans Food Market Corporate Office
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 9, 2018
Woodmans is a successful company and does offer very good benefits and pay. However, the environment is a toxic place to work. The management is very unforgiving and unfair. They play favorites and do not punish/reward equally throughout the office. They do not punish managers for being rude, unprofessional and unfair. Most issues are swept under the rug. The people who try the hardest and do the most work and unnoticed and micromanaged until they do something wrong. Rules are very nit-picky and do not make sense. If you are one of the favorites you do not get held accountable for actions and not all the rules apply to them. It is very had to work and be stress-free if you are not one of the favorites.
Pros
Vacation time, bonuses, good pay
Cons
Micro-managing, unfair, toxic environment
Pretty work-focused, not much time to socialize outside of breaks and meals.
Bagger (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 19, 2018
Work is often busy especially on weekends with little to no time for de-stressing in between breaks. I learned more customer service skills as well as how to deal with stress at work. Management is pretty good, almost all front end managers are friendly and approachable for help. Many employees are friends or know each other outside of work, very work focused for the most part. Worst part is easily how difficult it is to get days off, especially part-timers, workers must have someone else cover their shift or they will receive a strike even if sick or out-of-town. Best part of job is the pay, minimum is about $10 per hour, this is pretty good but no in-store discounts or benefits.
Cons
Inconsistent hours and breaks.
Good pay and Benefits, but management is questionable
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIApril 18, 2018
One aspect of working for Woodmans is that once you quit (not fired), you have no chance of being rehired, unless you leave because of going to school.

That being said, Woodmans does pay well, and competitively against businesses like Festival and Aldi's. Woodman's benefits are very suitable for their employees; however, you do need to pay a monthly fee for having Woodman's insurance.

Management is not ideal. Favoritism runs rampant throughout management, as opposed to qualifications and experience. Also, managers have a strong tendency to have a negative attitude, which causes mistrust and lack of cooperation between employee and management. I was once told that demeaning and degrading employees under you is a positive reinforcement tool in motivating the employees; I wholeheartedly disagreed with this philosophy. This also shows how lack of proper education, and experience, can lead to improper management tools.
Pros
Pay, meeting new people, benefits, job opportunities
Cons
Poor management, poor education for management, and favoritism.
Dont do it. Save your time.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILNovember 11, 2018
10 years. Gone. POOF. I bought into the "employee owned" gimmick. Only to have problems after problems after problems. Good luck with payroll to get paid correct wages. I would have to constantly fill out review board requests for random attendance points being added on to my record. I worked my way up to a manager. I kept telling myself it would get better. It never did. This company has no concern for their own employees happiness or well being. Just its own profits and agenda. If a worker like myself shows up to work everyday, on time or early, works over-time, why would they be giving me a hard time? (Can you even imagine what they do to the bad employees) This company will use you and abuse you. Ive seen hard working co-workers get passed up for promotions they deserved, if not exceeded management qualifications and expectations. Apparently the perfect fit for a store manager is a guy who gets busted for soliciting sex to a minor. Not joking.
Are you getting the picture? The owner has money to purchase his own island, but since they care about the employee's soo much they cant provide the proper equipment/tools or proper footwear for safety "It's not in the budget!"
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced, productive, busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILOctober 6, 2018
This was my first job in highschool, i was hired as a bagger/cashier and quickly advanced to solely a cashier and received a significant raise due to quick advancement and improved customer skills. This job opened the door to many options for to the wide array of tasks I completed over the years.
Pros
Good pay long breaks
Cons
Harsh working conditions long shifts
Fast pace, some heavy lifting, be efits can't be beat
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJuly 22, 2018
Greàt benefits, can't beat . Full medical great dental and vision, retirement package is fenominal. Upper management staff plays favorites but lowe4 levels are more balanced and tend to care more about staff.
Pros
Awesome benefits package, overly caring lower level manager team. Highest py scale in field.
Cons
Slow pay increases, upper management tends to play favorites always shor5 staff
Wouldn't recommend
Liquor Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 30, 2018
The pay is good, but the environment is horrible. I would not recommend this job to anyone. You are not able to ask off for days, you are required to work every other weekend unless you get it covered. Besides the pay and benefits, it is a horrible place to work. I worked there for a lengthy period of time and got treated very poorly. Some management is good, but others are downright horrible. They pick favorites. For some reason, they are not able to separate their personal life from their work life.
Pros
The pay
Cons
The horrible hours and favoritism
If your life is your job, this is perfect.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Altoona, WIJuly 11, 2018
Typically I average 4-5 days off per month. There is such a shortage of employees, the people that are there are scheduled at maximum
capacity. Store manager is not responsive to employees. VERY DISINGENUOUS! Store morale and culture changed completely with new store manager-can not retain or attract employees.
Pros
excellent benefits, good pay, owner is a great person.
Cons
Very poor store manager
Quick pased work place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJuly 3, 2018
Good place. Good pay. Good advancements. Usually good managaement. Some managers obviously more enjoyable than others. Young Frontend management team.
Pros
Paid 15 min breaks.
Cons
Hard to get off
Not the best job
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Altoona, WIOctober 8, 2018
Strict, work you like a dog. ended up with mental issues cause of this place. be aware if your not in the click which the managers are in your not gonna have a good time working they will make your life miserable.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Bad managment, no body stays. no fixed schedule your life is this place
Fast-paced and strict management
3rd Shift Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 22, 2018
I worked at the 61115 Location and went onto my Trial as a 3rd shift Stocker - I only lasted a month of scheduled 2 weekends a month

What is not acceptable to me is that during this Trial period the Supervisors/managers barely even inform you of anything. You just get hired and are thrown into all of it and have to rely on your employee's to teach you, show you stuff. I was sent off because I did not meet the Speed requirement for Stocking. And the Issue I have with this is if Management was good, They would inform their Employee's on how they are doing, if they need to speed up, etc especially during your first 4 days of Trial.. There was like no communication with them of them attempting to help "teach" you stuff.

So what is my opinion. It's very fast paced and they pay very good if you can succeed at this job. Also as I said my other opinion is that they need to improve the Management at the Store I was at. Very much lack of communication especially to new Employee's which was myself
Pros
1 30min lunch, 2 15min breaks, Great pay, Friendly Employee's, Friendly environment
Cons
Strict rules on the time-clock for Lunch/Breaks, Bad management for new workers, Gossip through the store with certain people
An okay place to work, if you didn't have a family
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMay 19, 2018
Above average pay and amazing benefits. no fault point system, not able to request time off, had to cover your own shifts if a day off was needed. Management not willing to help cover hours.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
point system, not able to request time off
Woodmans
Warehouse Clerk, Checker, Utilities Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIOctober 26, 2018
Great company pays well always staying busy. Open door policy, overtime was available. friendly management friendly co workers. I learned many different things at Woodmans how to bag grocery's, how to cashier how to work in a warehouse how to drive forklifts.
Productive and fun work place with great coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  North Aurora, ILJune 1, 2018
Very easy and laid back job. Learned how to communicate with customers and coworkers. Management was excellent and very cooperative and helpful. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Great benefits, no work life balance
Meat Manager (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILApril 19, 2018
Good benefits but does not have work life balance. High expectations for everyone, health insurance is good, retirement benefits are good, hourly pay is good to average
It was a nice place but had some down sides
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 27, 2018
I wouldn't work here again! They didn't pay on time and you can't put days off in advance your told to ask other employees to trade and if no one is will to you have to call in and lose a point on your attends. So if you have a kids it not really a good place to work because you can't get day off for school events or doctors appointments!
Pros
You get 45 min lunch, health care is awesome
Cons
Cant get days off in advance, how they pay, the point system for attends
Ok
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 16, 2018
The only problem was time it was very fast paced. They had a policy about how fast you have to move. I just didn't understand the time constraints. I would say it is a very active job.
Pros
Friendly, people usually are pleasant
Cons
Competitive, fast paced
Alright work place
3rd Shift Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJune 3, 2018
Okay work place. Tough to balance work and life based on scheduling. Good pay for the jobs. Good opportunity for movement/advancement. Not always a healthy work atmosphere.
It’s okay
Bagger (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WINovember 5, 2018
You are on your feet for what seems like years. It is never slow and you have to be super quick. You will go home exhausted and in pain. This is not the job for you if you can’t be quick.
Pros
Long lunch occasionally
Cons
Standing constantly, exhausting, timed
Hard Work
Bagger/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMay 24, 2018
It was not for me but for someone who is willing to put in hard work day in and day out this job will worth your time thanks to the great benefits and the people there then this job is for you.
Pros
paid well, and good benafits
Cons
strict, and non-consistent hours unless 3rd shift