Work for Progress

Work for Progress Employee Reviews

United States19 reviews
good group
Work for Progress is a great company to work for if you want an election-season gig. The managers are excellent at keeping the canvassing teams motivated. Other than that, it's about what you'd expect.
Great for part time work
This company is great for part time work, with flexible scheduling and great pay, up to $20 an hour if quota is met, still paid very well if not. Good amount of training, and good options for advancement. Requires a lot of walking, and the ability to face rejection from strangers, which can happen a lot due to the nature of the job (canvassing specifically). Majority of employees are extremely motivated, and are willing to put in a lot of work to achieve the company's mission statement. Great for those who love outdoors work, and exercise.
I worked for them on behalf of Planned Parenthood Action Fund and I'm stoked that I had the opportunity
We campaign for women's reproductive rights in Billings, MT, located in Montana's most conservative county. I took on Regional training in Seattle, WA. They paid for my flight out and also reimbursed me for my travel to Billings.

It was awesome helping to build a community of feminists in such a conservative town. So many people were happy to finally come out of the shadows and meet neighbors who supported them.
Pros
Paid travel, housing reimbursement. great training program
Cons
Short contract, pay was lower than average campaign contract
Canvassing was fun
It was a fun crew to canvass with and it was always smooth with drop-offs and pick-ups. They had nice tablets to make the canvassing process much easier than stacks of paper.
Door to door canvassing for electoral politics
Helped run a canvassing office for electoral politics for the 2018 midterms. Due to the urgent nature of the election deadline, the management staff worked between 90 and 110 hours a week. It was very fulfilling despite there being no work life balance
Pros
personally fulfilling work
Cons
100 hour weeks
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Friendly, efficient
Friendly staff, Laborious job, emotionally draining, physically draining, has good pay and good intensive pay. You get to spend lots of time outside and talk to lots of people, and meet lots of dogs.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Physically hard, emotionally hard
Hard Physical Work & High Expectations, Good Overall
As a foot canvasser, this job pushed my legs to the limit. The idea is you meet at the office, touch base, form teams, grab lunch and then each individual is sent off to canvass their own area of the map and meet up with the team again afterwards to discuss the day and get dinner. I learned a lot about people, politics and the inner operations of a grassroots organization at this job, and the environment was positive and fun, but eating out with the group that often made me feel as if I was spending all the money I made as soon as I made it, and since canvassing takes up essentially your entire day and is physically exhausting, I found it somewhat difficult to balance work and school.
Pros
Pays well, positive environment
Cons
Long workday, exhausting, too much eating out
cool summer job.
early afternoon start of work day. Gained experience in being patient with a diverse group of colleges. Managers were excellent in their positions and thorough in their knowledge of the operating system. people got along well inside and out of the office. The hardest part of the job was knowing that the campaign would end and we would be laid off. I really enjoyed working out doors with people.
Fun place to work and a great cause
This job was one of my favorites!! Management is very ethusiastic and the training process is simple and easy. There's an undeniable team vibe, as everyone is working together to achieve a goal. This job taught me a lot about goal setting and efficiency. I would have stayed at this job forever if my position wasnt temporary!
Pros
Lots of human interaction, sense of fulfillment
Cons
Short breaks, seaonal gigs
Excellent company to work for
Excellent and very rewarding work making a difference in the community. I highly recommend this company for those who want to have a positive impact on the community.
Pros
Great management style
Cons
Sometimes use of one's personal vehicle is required.
A one of a kind of job
The part time canvassing job that I had was a little hard and a little easy, we had to go door to door and handout pamphlets and brochures for the presidential campaign. What I learned from this job is that customer service and eye contact are very important when talking to a person about something important.
long hours but pay well
this job really depends on who is running your program. all of the higher up were yound adults. so the program reflects that. my magement was pretty loose and modern. a lot of communication was done through cell phone both mangement and field work organiztion. you will be working long hours and they will push you to do better, but work is flexible. good temp work.
Great, Fun, and amazing pay
Hardest part of the job is working, enganging in conversation, and occasionally educating the general popularity of a community about what it is that your campaigning about. If its politics it gets a little bit personal.
Pros
Educational, Great pay
Cons
Long hours, A ton of walking
Campaign Canvassing
A typical day at work was talking to the community about awareness of U.S. Senate candidates. I learned a lot from this job; i learned the importance of voting! I was put into management as not only a driver for our teams but as a field manager. I got along great with my co-workers after long days at work we would go for pizza or some drink afterwards. The hardest part of this job was getting the people at the door to become interactive over their political views, also my favorite part of the job!
Job was great, company wasn't
The job itself was a blast and I had a good time with the other employees. I just didn't connect with the company itself.
Very poor
Like previous reviewer here said, lots of shady practices of the business. Poor coordination with bosses and management was apparent from the get go. The person running the interviews "forgot" that I was coming in to interview before I was even hired. Many times the workplace was understaffed and no one of the management were present when needed. The last couple of paychecks were mysteriously unattainable (in the locked office, not filled out, incomplete, ect.) until asked multiple times. Scheduling was done on a private server that I had to call my boss to find out when I was scheduled for even when they said it was open to view. I could go on and on about just how horrible this place was but with the amount of other people finding the same experience it seems redundant
Pros
Not much
Cons
Bad organization, shortchanging on paycheck, low pay, irregular scheduling, false advertising of intents
Canvassing is hard but rewarding
Worked 6-8 hour shifts where teams of us would canvas neighborhoods knocking on doors in order to interact with constituents and secure votes. Difficult work, but good pay and opportunities for motivated individuals to be promotoed.
Beware of this organization
Before you do anything, google Work for Progress aka Fund for the Public Interest. I wish I had done that. You will find many people who did not get paid, did not get the job they were hired to do, This org treats people very unethically. I was an experienced organizer and I worked for them for three days, waited three months for my check. Save yourself and do not get involved with them.
Fun fun fun
Getting out and making a difference while loving your job at the same time!
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
very long work days
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Work for Progress. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8