Workday Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place to work, but not enough opportunities for experienced hires
Sr. Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2018
I love working here, but unfortunately I do not see too many opportunities for experienced hires. It is a great company for millennials, and workers that are early in their career.
Good culture, Proprietary language may make for lack of advancement
Associate Application Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMay 10, 2018
I really enjoyed interning at workday. My team was collaborative and I felt like everyone was valued. We where fairly compensated, however the proprietary application development language makes it easy to feel trapped into staying in a single role and you have to work extra hard to keep skills sharp and remain versitile
As a company they are good.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COApril 24, 2018
There is not a lot of room for creativity on the project I work on. Most of the decisions are made by the PM and dev team in Pleasanton CA and the results are just consumed by other teams.
Poor leadership
Talent Business Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 16, 2018
Perhaps it was just the team that I worked with, but the management gave little to no guidance or feedback. Teams felt like we were siloed and didn't work well together. Cut-throat meetings. As a contract worker we were not able to participate in certain activities or events so it made for a sense of separation from the team I worked with.
Pros
Good technology
Cons
Separation from full time employees
Good life balance, good for a family person but not for someone young
Software Development Engineer, DataServices (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 5, 2018
While Workday provided excellent benefits for someone who has a family, it is pretty stagnant if your younger and single.

Moving up is pretty slow in my organization. And there isn't really much room to move.

The headquarters are far away from anything so unless your looking to settle down I wouldn't really recommend moving close to HQ.

Also you won't learn much here since most of the technology is proprietary and doesn't really extend outside of Workday.
Pros
Unlimited PTO
Cons
bad location, slow advancement, proprietary development
Good vibes and free food
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 4, 2018
Had a great time working for Workday! It’s a great company if you drink the Kool-Aid and believe what they’re selling. For the most part, I enjoyed the challenges of my undefined position but what I mostly enjoyed was collaborating on projects with my co-workers (peers and managers). However, I disliked people in higher positions such as VPs and SVPs. Not all of them but the ones that I worked for or came in contact with were off-putting. They acted like they’re these “above everyone else” celebrities. Ugh, give me a break! That’s not leadership!
Pros
Free food, great peers
Cons
VPs and SVPs
Productive and Fun place to work
Workplace Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
As Workday continues to grow, it is a force to be reckoned with. I have enjoyed my 1.5 years here more than I ever thought I would fresh out of college. At Workday I have been able to work on all kinds of projects and become a voice that is heard, no matter how young or inexperienced I am. I would recommend Workday to any of my friends or family, there is a reason why it's always globally recognized as a great place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, great culture, endless snacks, wonderful coworkers, open management.
Cons
Lack of transparency as the company grows.
Great Culture that encourages fresh thinking and ways of working
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  DublinMarch 18, 2018
Great collaborative culture centered on employee engagement to deliver innovative products to customers. Super smart people that come together to build great products.
Pros
Snack Program and solid company benefits
An exciting place to work, experiencing rapid growth
Senior Workday Financials Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rye, NHMarch 12, 2018
Workday was a great place to work, particularly in the early days. As the company grew into a large organization it became a little bit more difficult to find exciting career opportunities.
I did have a good experience at Workday
Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 17, 2018
I did have a good experience at Workday. The Director was trying to create a PMO organization, but did not have the experience to do so. In my attempts to provide my previous experience I was repeatedly ignored. PMO organization was never established.
Pros
Close commute
Cons
Good company but going through growing pains
Senior Performance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 15, 2018
Mid management is really poor, lots of inexperienced managers who love to micro-manage and stress the employees. Work pressure is too much and unnecessary at times.
Advise for management, do not micro-manage and focus on innovation and problem solving.
A grind with little variance from day-to-day tasks
Corporate Sales Development (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake CityJanuary 27, 2018
The benefits and pay were good. The job role was a grind in sales as a CSD. I could not escape the sports culture in the sales department. It's all anyone ever talked about. Sports sports sports sports. Sports. More sports. Hey...sports! Didn't like the drinking culture...lots of cantinas at work. Sort of weird. "Hey have some drinks and, you know...drive home!" Not good.
Pros
Free food. Good pay. Good managers.
Cons
Culture. Stiffness of job roles.
Workday "Software Development" is a complete JOKE
Software Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 22, 2017
All using proprietary language, proprietary technologies means you will leave here with skills untransferable in the real world and a gapping hole in your resume.

FIVE plus people doing the job of 1 person is the norm, and who live off the work of the what the early real engineers built.

Still impresed?

Senior rank staff are comprised of the same ol gang of recycled rejects bouncing from peoplesoft, orcl, sap who are just here for the perks and "prestige" of holding an inflated job title at a brand name outfit. Not a diverse team relative to others in industry. the senior "gatekeepers" pretty much have certain positions reserved for those of "their own" who are "cultural fits" if u catch my drift.

Managers here are strictly politiking paper pushers. Good luck finding any of them with the domain & technical knowledge. Frankly they don't care.
Pros
public relations, marketing, image branding
Cons
all proprietary technologies, out of touch legacy management pretending to be "Agil
This was just a Community service event.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2017
Community service was cool. It wasn't a paid event it was just community service where i would help people make benches etc, to help their environment.
Good company
Account Executive - Government (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 30, 2017
Everything depends on your individual manager. Workday is a good company with many benefits. The culture is great, especially for younger employees.
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits
6 month internship
Business Systems Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 20, 2017
I was an intern at Workday. It was an amazing experience. I would have loved to work there but I only had six months to work there as an intern. I worked on the Systems Admin Team.
Pros
Free stuff, Great team members
Cons
No cons
Productive and Fun. Lots of workplace perks
Application Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 21, 2017
Great place to work at, but applications development in general uses proprietary language. This creates a lack of mobility later on, as the skills learned and used here are not always transferable to another company or workplace.
great company...some managers not so much
Production Readiness Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 4, 2017
great company...some managers not so much. Old time employees (now managers) tend to be overly active in other peoples work. Tend to micromanage and be very reactionary.
Great Place to Work!
Cyber Security Operations (SOC) Analyst | Intern (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 21, 2017
Workday is awesome. Best workplace I have ever worked for, and I have been working since I was 16 years old (I am now 34). Super laid back work environment.
Pros
Free Snacks | Video games | Ping Pong tables | Cantinas with drinks
Cons
None!
Great company thats growing quickly
IT Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 14, 2017
Spent most of the day imaging laptops, or managing IT inventory
Great work environment with many perks (free snack rooms and unlimited beverages)
Very friendly Management
Always looking for ways to move you up in the company!