World Bank Employee Reviews

High technical level
Country Officer (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 18, 2019
Rigorous standards drive quality of work. International setting enriches points o f view. Travelling to countries helps visualize reality of the issues at hand.
The World Bank is a modern institution which meets modern international working conditions
Researcher Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2019
Busy working
I learned a lot while giving my contribution
The management style was good
The work place culture was and it still is multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural
I enjoyend working there!
Pros
No free lunch
Stable and good
Legal Extern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2019
I liked the environment, I got a lot of experience as an intern and was well respected. I had a lot of opportunities to do work. The environment was classy and diverse.
Great - if you're an employee
Senior Consultant, Corporate Relations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2019
Wonderful mission-driven organization with a lot of bright people. Due to organizational changes, it's become very challenging to be a consultant and many great people left because of the instability.
Pros
Global culture
Cons
Challenging if you're a consultant
Great place to meet the best minds in development
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2019
Shared learning is encouraged and people are very friendly. It is still a bureaucratic and hierarchical organization so moving up the ladder takes time and isn't assured. But the good news is that it operates as a meritocracy and hard work is rewarded and recognized.
Professional and Fun
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2019
The world bank has offices in over 55 countries. The people in the world bank make it fun. And working here builds your career. We have mostly economists here but everyone almost has a place. The best part of the bank is that they hire a lot of consultants. so even if you're not a staff, consultancy works just fine.
Good place with bad culture
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 28, 2019
It is a good place to work with structure and good work life balance. The down side is that the goal post is always changing in terms of work and well as job security. It provides a lot of opportunities to travel and work with governments of multiple countries but at the same time there is this negativity in the air and the organization is not nimble and moves very slow.
The Joy of Knowing Your Work Makes a Difference, However Small
Senior Communications Officer/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2019
A typical day focused on the mission of the organization and on the people we serve. There was never a dull day. You learned something new even in areas you believed you had nothing more to learn about. Management is friendly, caring and supportive of staff. The workplace culture is one of the best, fully supportive of diversity, working hard to raise standards for all and offer opportunities for improvement and accountability for all staff. The hardest part of my job was to know that whatever I did, however great, hardly amounted to more than a drop of water in the ocean of poverty we were trying to address in Africa. The most enjoyable part of working for the World Bank was knowing that what we did made a real difference in real lives all across Africa and traveling to project sites and countries on the continent to meet with some of clients was a most rewarding thing.
Great
International Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2019
World Bank offers a great international job opportunity. I have learned how to manage project and lead a team. I did not see any difficulty. My entire experience was very enjoyable as I love to work with diverse people in an unknown environment for a good cause.
SHORT-TERM CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJanuary 4, 2019
It is a great place to work, just be sure that before you apply you actually talk to people that are working on your desired job to see if it really is a match for you.
Big and international, which are both good things.
Communications Associate (editor) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 26, 2018
If you're staff the benefits are good. If you're not staff it's kind of precarious, but it still pays near the top of public sector editorial jobs. The office culture is not healthy because although there is an appearance of informality, there is rigid hierarchy. Also, as at many of these institutions, k the new sheriff in town always comes in intending to make their bones by doing some kind of shakeup, so every few years there's upheaval which will affect you if you are I some particularly vulnerable jobs. Of course their ends are great, but expect to have to reflect on the means and whether you're OK with them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
If you can get them
Overall is great.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2018
I do not have much to say since it was only a temporary job. Everybody is on contract. It is almost impossible that you will be a permanent staff. No job security.
Pros
Prestige organization.
Cons
No job security.
Excellent
Senior Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 19, 2018
I worked for IBRD for fifteen years. My children attended the daycare there. My wife still works WBG. I spent the best years of my life serving the WBG community, an experience I will cherished for the rest of my life.
Pros
Wealth of knowledgable people
Cons
Program Assistant, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2018
Need experience from the outside to advance there usually. This is a place where older people with education and experience get promoted and can grown within the company.
Good but limited
Operations (Current Employee) –  Washington DCDecember 15, 2018
Good experience but staff who stay too long get frustrated by lack of even lateral mobility. Promotions are at the discretion of managers who can lack people skills or reserve them for higher-ups.
Pros
Smart dedicated staff
Cons
Rigid hierarchy and office politics
Helping countries develop their economies and people.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2018
World Bank is a major global development finance institution providing development finance to governments all over the world. Typical assignment consisted of helping a country design a development program, prepare a project for financing, and once approved, help the country with project implementation. More than once, I was also assigned implementation assessment to figure difficulties in project implementation and implementation completion of projects.
Appreciate Work/Life Balance
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 4, 2018
One of the benefits appreciated is the Alternative Work Schedule of working 9 days and off on the 10th day. In addition, working remotely from home was a plus.
Pros
Aws
productive and fun
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  RakaiNovember 26, 2018
I gained experience in collecting data.
I learnt data collection techniques
I learnt to how work in a rural setting
I enjoyed networking with people
I was tiresome collecting data in remote villages
Pros
Upkeep while in field
Cons
Short breaks
great place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2018
have to leave to follow family in an outpost mission. I would have otherwise stayed. I do have no negative comments from my experience. As any other organizations, the world bank tend to go through a number of re-organization that sometimes unsettle staff.
Good work life balance
Senior Project Manager, Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2018
The world bank is an excellent place to work. Amazing work life balance, great colleagues. The only con is the red tape in converting . Commuting to DC is another issue with WBG.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Beauracracy