World Bank

United States518 reviews

World Bank insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great place to learn and work. Vast resources to further technical training.

Good company overview

Good company - no room for advancement.Good place to start or end your career. Good workplace culture, work life balance, diverse environment. Very minimal increase in salary and opportunity for advancement.

Opportunity to network

You have a great opportunity to network you also get to travel depending on your role. However get ready for backstabbing and crazy work ethics. You always have to watch your back

Good benefit, compensation, and work life balance. Promotion system to move to the upper grade in a mission.

A great place for professional and technical expert with advance degree (Master / PhD). For "non-professional staff such as Program Assistant and Resource management staff the carrier growth options are limited.

Pros

Good benefit, compensation, and work life balance.

Cons

Promotion system to move to the upper grade in a mission.

A grand institution with significant merits and apparent shortcomings

Pros: Great missions, great projects, great talents. Cons: Fragmented organizational structures, poor management and coordination, and lack of job security and protection for staff (especially at the country offices and for consultants).

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Solid principle

Helping the people in need all over the world means something. Being part of a broader team, working in multicultural and multilingual environment definitely changed my professional view in my late 40s

Love the diversity, management lacks some communication

The diversity is great and the people are nice to work with. They are generous with time off and always to grown their employees. However, depending on your department, management can lack communication when tasks need to be done. There is a lot of back and forth that could be resolved if everyone got on a call and did not strictly communicate via email. Over all it is a great place to be.

Not really making development impact

Outdated and bureacratic organization. Managers making a lot of money but very little development impact achieved. If you have a chance, work somewhere more dynamic

Is not who you are but who you know

Is hard to become staff, it depends who you know, or if you went to a fancy college and start pushing those modern agendas. Colleagues are great as well as the mid-level management.

Diverse work environment, great colleagues and challenging work

The World Bank is a first class institution where you will learn a lot, work with people from around the world. The benefits are stellar, but be ready to work a lot.

Pros

Pay, benefits, culture.

Cons

Management can be difficult, and the can play favorites when it comes to promotions.

Chance to work with different bureaucracies around the world.

I work as an STC consultant.Governance (Public Financial Management, risk management) and data analytics.Diversification in cultures and sensitivities makes the job very special.

Pros

Travel, Diversification, the Brand power

Cons

Internal bureaucracy of the Bank.

Very much not what you know but who you know

They are very impressed by what school you attended and who you know and who is your champion and mentor. Substance is secondary. Very poor management.

Great Work Environment

During my short time as an Intern in the Office of the President I got to experience what a truly healthy work environment is. Everyone was helpful and appreciative of the work I did. They help me adjust quickly and never made anyone feel out of place.

Pros

not taxed on income

Good place to worh

Lot of growth and learning opportunities with the possibility of switching to different regions and practices when your profile is fungible. Also good pay and benefits

I really liked the place to work but as contractor sometime you have no security to have this job . They can let you go any time if they want . I had the same problem and it was so frustrating.

Pros

Good co-worker

Cons

No job security

Good time.

Full-staff receive amazing benefits and in many cases, six figure salaries. As a consultant your life is engulfed with work, you don't have health care, you don't have a pension you are working towards, no time-off unless you want to lose money. It's terrible. Some of the people are nice, but many are chasing their own goals so collaboration among another is a bit fake. The good thing is work is quite flexible, and you get paid better for "less number" of days (hypothetically) (really you work full-time and get paid for 2/3 of what you actually work). Consulting is probably best for single people who still live in a group home and little other responsibilities or cares. Despite this dismal view, its still great place to work and grow, but I imagine if I don't become a full-staff I will leave to where I will be happier and well paid, with good work-life balance-- And with benefits! Also I will say that consultants from countries with universal healthcare also pay no taxes, so they are probably do very well and get to live where they want- so I would recommend!

Great place for mid career people with a clear vision of what the organization does.

A very diverse and inclusive workplace. Lots of opportunities to excel professionally but some obstacles for upward mobility for Americans at senior levels. Travel requirements are extensive and the lack of administrative support means the back-log of existing client supervision often takes the back seat to new business.

Pros

Interesting and impactful work

Cons

Personnel decision often political and not transparent

Purposeful mission

Extraordinary teams dealing with extraordinary challenges. You can advise governments on innovative solutions to poverty and shared prosperity, bringing together the public, private and civil society sectors. You can make a difference, working with talented, committed and compassionate professionals.

Pros

Collaborative culture, health benefits, pension, in-depth travel

Cons

Work-life balance difficult, challenging logistics, difficult postings

Good if you're full-staff

Pros

prestige, meeting government officials, making an impact at high levels

Cons

everything else

Good consulting rates

I had a great experience as short term consultant: interesting projects, good pay, was able to land another job shortly after. The only cons is that World Bank doesn't offer as many open-ended positions and you would stay a consultant without benefits for years.

Pros

good rates

Cons

hard to move to full time

Nice place to work

I'm summary, s great place to work but lacks drive to succeed and poorly rewards on merit. Bosses are great to work with. Leaders are approachable. Inclusion and acceptance is well established.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Limited career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight