World Resources Institute

World Resources Institute Employee Reviews

United States17 reviews
Very Mission Driven dedicated staff looking to better environmental issues. Very good work/life balance and flexibility. Not enough staff for job requirements and difficult for job advancement. Global presence which brings odd work times into your weekly work schedule.
Pros
Remote Work capabilities
Cons
Growing too fast w/out providing resrouces to operational needs
What a nightmare by working there ! unfairly treated and even feel dis-criminated. The manager who hired me left the org after I cam aboard one month, and I was told to report to two employees. The terrible things happened since then. My first meeting with then starting by each one of them pointing to other side and they told me don't listen to the other.
One of the people has been keep micro-management on me and follow me anytime she wanted questioning where I was and even what my wife was doing.

I got lower annual review rate and got no salary increase, a few months later, the two teamed up and made an ugly and untrue report to HR.

I decided to resign and got out of there as fast as I can.

I was victimized by the internal politics and the senior seems no idea of what occurred. In side the department, a few heads inside the department formed as gangs, they protect them together and their culture is hostile.

Thanks God , I left. Let the god takes his action one day!
The world resources institute was given training and financial support for Addis Ababa Transport Authority to collect public transport data and digitizing maps of public transport rootes and station for modernizing transport services and ease of user.
Pros
Experience, salary
Cons
Daily travel
Didn't like manager. Culture is very much about self-promotion and making sure people hear and know what you're doing. Not much opportunity for advancement for junior staff. Pay is poor, for interns and full-time staff.
Expect to do LOTS of work. People are very professional but fun and intelligent. Applied research means lots of online/book research, meetings and some trips abroad.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
This is an organization that respects and values its interns. I had a supervisor that was more than just a supervisor but a great mentor. I would recommend this internship to anyone interested in development.
Pros
Interesting brown bag lunches, great and smart people, really value interns
Just need to deliver. Work is not where you got, but what you do. Flex working environment. Semi research and think tank organization tackling global issues. Ideal for single young professional often want travel and impact the world beyond your backyard
Great work, no balance between life/work. Really passionate co-workers. Really cool issue areas. Need to fundraise yourself. No real connection between teams.
An excellent work place culture, although they don't pay their interns enough. I was only researching part time so can't speak to how full time employees are valued at the organization.
Would recommend it for new grads to gain experience, but not quite possible to get a real job and not pay their junior staff well
WRI is a place with immensely talented and intelligent people. There are some issues with job security and it is difficult to move from admin work to research.
Work life at WRI was busy but less pressure. The people were very friendly and always ready to help which helped to facilitate learning for me. I learned that a conducive working environment such as the one at WRI encourages learning ability and increase productivity. Meeting people at Brown-bags and other events helped me improve my understanding of the cultural norms of this organization. I enjoyed working with my team and fellow interns, but the hardest part of my stay was taking negative feedback from team leader.
Pros
Friendly workers
Cons
I was an intern / unpaid
Nice stepping stone but not the place to make a career. I would recommend this organization to someone that is seriously committed to working for a environment/natural resources think tank, otherwise move along, nothing to see here.
Full of meaningful tasks and helpful staffs. Great opportunity to talk to various of professionals in the industry.
WRI employees are dedicate to their research, and it is great to a part of such a knowledgeable group of people. Most of the higher-level management are friendly and approachable. Funding issues can be a problem for interns, but WRI apparently has a fairly strong tract record of hiring interns.
I have worked here for about two years and I enjoy a lot working with the team. Those are among the smartest people I have ever met.
Pros
Needs better structure
Cons
Drinks after 5 and friendly environment
Enganged community of experts with multiple talents and backgrounds, all workding towards a more sustainable world through better urban transport.