WorldStrides Employee Reviews

Fun and enjoyable place to work
On site coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 15, 2018
This is a seasonal position that runs from March to June. It is an educational program for Middle and High School students. This job is customer service related as I deal with students, teachers and parents. Each group that you work with is different from the last group and keeps you on your toes. You use just as much common sense as work sense in this position. I enjoy knowing that the students have learned something that didn't know or experienced things that they learned in the class room.
Pros
Salary plus per diem
Cons
That it is only seasonal
Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 16, 2018
Company really cares about employees. Lots of opportunities for people to advance and move within the organization. Employees are asked their opinion annually through an opinion survey. from this feedback each department highlights the good and the bad and works on ways to improve. Regular all staff meetings where company detail is provided to all employees are very helpful.
Pros
Nice office, free sodas, great benefits
Cons
nothing major that I can think of. Building is getting full and not a lot of seats left.
N/a
Temporary Fulfillment Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 19, 2018
The management could be a lot better. The pay is decent, but no benefits because of the temp status. The work can be heavy at times which makes you realize that the pay could be better.
Good seasonal opportunity, especially for those with night security background
Night Chaperone (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2018
The Night Chaperone position is managed from a central office in the Washington, DC area. It involves scheduling overnight security at local hotels to ensure the safety and discipline of student groups (mainly middle school). The job environment is generally quiet and stress-free. The primary difficulty in the work is maintaining alertness for 7-8 hours at night, which is contrary to the typical pattern of working during the daytime hours.
Too focused on closing hard
Sales (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2018
The sales culture is old school, high volume, close hard, and counter productive. This company believes you have to be pushed in order to perform, regardless of the situation. Very high first year turnover, poor territory integrity.
Pros
The trips are good for kids.
Cons
Push way too hard.
Fun workplace
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 8, 2019
I worked for this company for 14 years- that was 10 years ago. I worked in the Orlando office location as an account manager overseeing trips coming for science focus.The company sells and organizes extended day field trips for teachers and their students. I came to the jpb with a good bit of experience so I feel the training I received was adequate. We had an amazing team of managers and some of the best general managers you could ask for. The Orlando office was a fun, exciting culture. The main offices are located in Charlottesville, VA so we were pretty removed from any home office shenannigans. After a period of acquisitions of other smaller student travel companies, the home office management was a nightmare. The Orlando office managed to move through the changes, but we all noticed the micromanagement that was happening. The company was trying to grow too quick, which isn't a bad thing until you start making changes that affect the very people who brought this company along. I and about 4 others were laid off, with the explanation that all trip logistics would be handled from VA, not the local FL office- only to learn that really the office wasn't closing, they just moved some of the job duties. The marketing guy I trained who had expressed interest in being an account manager, ended up taking over all my accounts, while working from home in TN. The sales and marketing upper management of this company were feckless. All upper management became focused on nothing but being THE only student travel company out there and they didn't care who got in the way. At the time I worked  more... there, you were assigned 75-80 accounts to manage. I had over 90 accounts where it was my responsibility to work with the teacher planner at the different schools, handling all aspects of their travel and local needs and then rebooking them either before they took the current trip or ASAP upon returning from their trip. I met and exceeded my quota the entire time I worked there except in 2002, after 9/11 where my quota came in at 80% attained. If you work in sales, you are expected to make a certain amount of outgoing calls per day. This number was so ridiculous, the company contracted with a call center. Bottom line, if you work for this company as an account manager or in sales, you better bring your A++++ game. You might enjoy working there if you enjoy the aspect of assisting teachers with a wonderful learning experience for their students. Focus on just that and you will enjoy this. If you're looking for just a paycheck or may not have been as truthful on your resume with regards to sales experience, you will struggle. I endured a lot of changes with this company, which is made up of many other acquired student travel companies. I was part of the rollout and new company name process which was very fun and gave me a sense of ownership with the company. It was disappointing to be laid off over the phone and under a lie, while recovering at home from emergency surgery, especially since I was among a group of people who were very good at generating revenue. I don't know how management there is nowadays, but that for me is this company's biggest downfall. I loved the work I did and seeing the groups while on their trips. I believed in the programs this company offers and to this day I would recommend teachers to travel with them because I know this end of the business and the company will always take care of the group, no matter what. But you will be micromanaged daily.  less
Pros
great product and mission
Cons
management is a nightmare
Heartfelt place to work with great people!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 24, 2014
WorldStrides has grown substantially over the last few years and with that comes newer, more efficient processes across all departments. Despite the growth, they continue to place an emphasis on a casual work environment with a work/life balance. In fact, there’s a kegerator in the break room for employee happy hours and team gatherings. Unlimited sodas, coffee and tea, casual dress code including jeans, flexible work schedules depending upon your department’s busy season, gym discounts, travel discounts – sure, there are busy seasons that are stressful, but it’s hard to overlook the overall package of WorldStrides. We change students’ lives every day!
Pros
Great teams to work with and unique benefits
Cons
Peak seasons can call for long hours
Home Office.
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMarch 8, 2013
Enjoyed working with teachers by phone and face to face each day to help them extend their classrooms through travel. History was the core curriculum of the educational travel programs.

What I learned was that the USA educational system is broken. We offered opportunities for students to extend their horizons. The teachers were exceptional, but with constraints. Buy offering the extended classroom they made a difference in their students lives.

Management was consistant with training and direction.

My many co-workers will be lifelong friends.

It was challenging to find that teacher who wanted to go the extra mile for their students.

I loved to travel with the schools on thier trips and watch their eyes light up to the wonders of the destiinations. Now they have more information for a productive life. The trip that changed them forever.
Pros
401k match. medical. dental.
Cons
not enough family time.
If you're looking at the ETS role do not do it to yourself if you want stability
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 24, 2017
There is plenty of micro management that happens if you're in the sales division especially. Be prepared to have to do things a certain way even if it doesn't work for you. Don't be fooled by the pay because chances are if you aren't showing results you'll be cut fairly quickly. I wasn't given much of a chance and when my day came I was given a very cold shoulder by my director who acted like they cared prior. Only the person that did my off boarding showed me any type of passion given my circumstances. They put me in a HORRIBLE spot and I just don't have very much that's nice to say. The HR people and other departments are very nice people. Also a lot of your peers are very nice and wonderful to get along with but if you sign up for the sales division don't anticipate much from them if you start to severely struggle. I beg anybody that sees their inside sales rep (ETS) jobs to please be weary and do not get lost in the promises because chances are unless you have the necessary luck to succeed you won't be there long enough to reap any rewards.
Pros
Good benefits package, nice people to work with overall
Cons
micromanagement, little job security, all about business not about their people. Could work very long hours
Great for competitive people who have a hard shell
EDUCATIONAL TRAVEL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 6, 2018
You will get a territory of about 200 schools and have to make at least 325 calls per week. 2-4 times per year, you will be required to make 500 calls.

I sometimes feel like being remote makes it so that you are an after thought as people at headquarters get more perks.

My manager is great with trying to keep us motivated by giving his own incentives and perks.
Pros
Work from home, no micromanagement, discounts for travel
Cons
Not a lot of guidance, low pay unless you're top level, technology not that great, cold calling
Great Employer!
Travel Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 3, 2018
The work environment is fun and fast paced. There is a casual culture with work life balance. Busy season is busy, however, you will have great co-workers!
WorldSrides Review
Program Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 16, 2018
Through a day at work I learned how to cold call customers, build a target account list, and execute sales strategies to land clients. The workplace environment was friendly and fast paced. The hardest part of the job was being rejected in a sale yet still continuing to push through to the next clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn about new places and cultures around the world.
Good call center to work for
International Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2017
Pay and benefits are good. Product is fantastic and life-changing for teachers and students.

Must be open to dialing out 65-100 times per day, leaving messages and having a relatively low response rate.
This company has NO idea what direction they want to go
Not given (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 4, 2016
This company is famous in Charlottesville for its mass firings, rotten working conditions. One moment you have a job, at the end of the day you have nothing.

Laughable salary, even worse management, if you want to call what they have management. First graders could do a better job.

Best advice - avoid at all cost.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
Read above
Festival Selection Advisor
Festival selection advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 7, 2015
This company has a great product. Problem with selling it is the price point. Any teacher that is interested is no longer after hearing the price.

I loved my time here, the people were amazing they staff was always finding ways to encourage you when you were down. The directors really seemed interested in you and how they can help you go further. A great starting salary.

But then reality sets in. Its a sales job. And you are in a small market for educational travel at the moment. You have to be there early, 7:30 am, and be there late, 6-7pm, to get a hold of teachers. Calling on your personal phone after hours and on weekends. Your territory is so stretched you wont have many good schools. The good sales people who are at quota early, those are people who have been there for a while and have repeat business and no new sales. If you cant get your teachers to sign on get a deposit turned in for a trip, then more than likely you wont be there long.

Dont let the free lunches, the contests, the encouragement ever make u feel safe. You are not. If you make your sales quota you will be fine. If you don't, start looking for a new job.
Pros
Free lunches, many bonuses. Great benifits Nice starting salary.
Cons
Longer hours than advertised. False security.
the leader in student travel
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 15, 2016
great place to work
nice people to work with
corporate office in Charlottesville, VA has a great downtown location
stable management team
travel benefits
Fun place
Financial Services Support/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 22, 2012
They have a lot of social gatherings, but want you to be flexible in the position you work in. You could be copying one day, shipping things out the next, on customer service calls and then copying again. However, this is only in customer service.
Pros
freebies all the time
Cons
poor benefits
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company for a few years. There is a busy season where you are required to work overtime, sometimes until 9PM but it is a pretty easy job with great benefits and pay.
Do not be honest or try to transfer!
ETS (Former Employee) –  CharlottesvilleMay 23, 2014
Beware of what you say and make sure that you do not try to ask for a transfer. One minute you have their blessing and the next you are being walk out the door with term papers. Not worth the stress and very poor benefits!
good hours and benefits
FINICIAL SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  charlottesville VaMarch 31, 2013
go in at 8:30 to 5
I enjoied the type of work I did.
I learned more about using excel
They provided a class for it.
Some aspect of some of the managment we ok
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
i want more

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorldStrides. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss