Worthington Industries

Worthington Industries Employee Reviews

United States452 reviews

steelsharingprofitindustrygoldenphilosophyplantovertime

Fast paced environment

Good pay and benefits. Stressful high production work schedule. People are helpfull and willing to go out of their way to train you and keep you safe. Management not as helpful.

November 28, 2022
Thank you for your review! Our people truly are our most important asset, so we appreciate the feedback you provided. As a current employee, we hope you take advantage of our Open-Door policy to discuss any concerns you have. Keep up the great work!

Good team environment

My team worked well together for the most part and seasoned staff were willing to help and share ideas about how to complete work efficiently. I would recommend working here.

November 28, 2022
We are glad you enjoyed your experience working for Worthington. We wish you the best with your future endeavors!

Worthington Industries insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Always something to do

I was able to get my hands on many different products in a short period of time. I learned a lot and the culture was great. I was also given a lot of responsibility but was able to ask for help whenever it was needed.

November 21, 2022
Thank you for the review! We are glad you are enjoying your internship at Worthington.

Fast paced and repetitive but well rewarded.

Fast paced and repetitive work in the paint line dept. Time goes by quick like that! I feel the pay is fair and the quarterly bonus is, well a bonus! Good health care. Just stay outta the drama!

Pros

Good pay and profit sharing.

Cons

Drama

October 7, 2022

Depends on who you are in how you get treated

Worked at Steel and management is terrible at that location in Columbus, they are all related or have kids with one another. Once they get you in a position you are good at you can forget about any advancement opportunities, they will find ways to make sure you don’t leave. Columbus steel manipulates pay scale to pay you in a lower scale position but gives you the responsibility of a job 2 pay scales higher. Then when they turn in there report to corporate they look like geniuses because of there total pay vs ton produced. Corporate is a much better environment to work and it’s a shame they don’t fix problem at the steel plant. Over all not a bad company if you are just wanting a job and don’t care about the games they play with you.

Pros

Sometimes you might get a profit sharing check

Cons

Steel Columbus management is close to a racketeering, they misrepresent numbers to corporate, have different rules just depending on who you are.

October 14, 2022
Thank you for providing a review. We’re sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t a favorable one. At Worthington Industries we are committed to providing development and growth opportunities to our employees through a variety of avenues, including on-the-job training, onsite classes, education assistance, a stretch assignment marketplace and more. We also pride ourselves on offering competitive pay and above-market benefits. We pay 100% market rate for our base pay and offer additional profit-sharing opportunities. We hope our offerings and programs provide a positive work and life experience to all those who work with us.

Decent work, too much mandatory OT

The job itself is decent consistent work, with good benefits and quarterly bonuses. That said, you're working at least one full weekend a month, maybe more if they're behind. And with the way they schedule work, things are almost always behind. They also will tell you that you have to stay at the end of your shift until the next operator arrives, even if that's after your shift technically ended. However, they will not pay you for that time unless it was a full 15 minutes after your shift end.

October 7, 2022
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoy working with your coworkers and supervisors. If you feel there is an issue that needs addressed regarding scheduling, we encourage you to speak to your supervisor, HR Partner or use our Open Door Policy.

Welcoming Atmosphere

I currently work at this facility, and I can say it’s a great place to work. They are always willing to answer questions whenever you have them, and are always looking for ways to help you succeed. I also enjoy only working 8 hour shifts instead of working constant 10 or 12 hour shifts at my previous job. Overall, I’m pleased with my experience, and see a future with this company.

October 7, 2022
Thank you for your review. We are grateful for employees like you who live out Our Philosophy and appreciate your hard work.

hardest part can be the 12 hour shifts while wearing steel toes on mostly concrete.

can be physically demanding, but if you can take care yourself inside and out you won't any issues. job is straight forward. Short Breaks. 3 20 minutes

October 7, 2022
We appreciate your candid review, and the time you spent as a part of the Worthington family! We are always trying to improve our processes and culture for our employees, and feedback like this is always helpful to that end.

Good people

Great job, decent money but very hot. I enjoy my old supervisors Talking points. Opportunity to move up as well. Over all great us well and never short of feeding us for events andMilestones

October 7, 2022
Thanks for your review! We are so pleased to hear you enjoy working at Worthington Industries and that you value the many benefits and offerings the Company makes available to our employees.

Great company

I had a great experience at WI. Unfortdie to health reasons I had to quit. It is work but they are good to there employees. Again not easy work but if you're ok with doing work and getting treated right for it this is the place.

October 7, 2022
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed working for Worthington. We appreciate your hard work and wish you the best with your future endeavors!

Excellent place to work

Amazing family values and safety focused. Willing to work with you on every aspect of work home life balance. Highly recommend. Great pay. Quarterly profit sharing.

October 7, 2022
Thanks for your review! We’re glad you enjoy the people you work with, our dedicated focus on continuous improvement and our profit-sharing program. Keep up the great work!

Torch Packaging is a hole

One of the better decisions of my life was leaving this hole after just a couple months. Narcissistic management, lazy unqualified trainers, felt like a high school environment for adults, and you have to learn too much for how little they pay. The tape machines are outdated garbage and stuff is breaking down all the time. Avoid at all costs because there’s plenty of better jobs in the area that pay a lot more and are way easier and more professional.

August 19, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Equipment upgrades and capital improvements are fluid, with the most recent completion of our pack end project to help with machine efficiency. In addition, we are currently searching for qualified Training Leads to assist with our training efforts. The increase in our starting pay earlier this year, and the implementation of a quarterly incentive plan has helped keep us competitive in the market. We will continue to look for opportunities to develop our leaders, increase employee engagement, and make Worthington a preferred employer.

Was a great job. Management will work with you and pay was there. However after the plant went to 12 hour days things got iffy. If you want to work 12 hours days and every other weekend(fri-sunday) then I would recommend them but it's something you have to take serious they are a non climate plant so it does get very hot in there during the summer

August 11, 2022
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your honesty and take your comments very seriously as we continuously work to provide the best environment for our employees.

Great job

This was a great job to work learned to weld here and learned under some good people. Its a great job to get some good experience for someone new and a great job all together.

August 11, 2022

Great culture and pride in what they do, and do it better than othwrs

Profit sharing was good, as it was like savings. Once you made it to regular full time employee, you receive your this check every three months. Everyone smiles when these checks are being given.

July 21, 2022

Bad management terrible culture pickle line breaks down daily sometimes 2 times a day

Stay away from this place management is terrible everything is old and broken you get sent home most days so your lucky to get 40 hours consistently. I was fired because I didn’t want to shake coworker hands in a pandemic so they said I didn’t fit the culture and there is a committee of coworkers that decide if you get to get hired on doesn’t matter if your a good worker if they don’t like you they are not going to keep you past 70 days so please stay away

Pros

Money is ok

Cons

Terrible Benefits bad management unreliable machine and a very unsafe place to work

July 21, 2022
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you had concerns during your employment and hope you were able to address those using our Open Door Policy. We do take safety very seriously at Worthington and always want our employees, contractors, and visitors to have the best experience while on-site. We also strive to ensure all employees have the opportunity to have a long and successful career with us. In the majority of our facilities, the decision to be promoted to Regular Full Time after the initial probation period is made both by our employee council & leadership team. These teams do take into consideration feedback from all employees that have relevant interaction with any probationary employees, which helps promote teamwork, accountability and collaboration.

Stay away from this company

This company is terrible. They preach their values and philosophy, yet don't practice them themselves. You'll have no life from the overtime, and they don't appreciate you at all. New hires will start over a dollar more an hour than people who have been there over a year

Pros

Cons

Terrible management

July 21, 2022
Worthington Industries is strongly rooted in Our Philosophy and takes pride in our culture. We are proud to have increased our starting pay over the last year and are offering pay-for-experience, which sometimes does mean that one new hire may make more than another, based on previous work history and skillsets. We also know that not everyone cares for overtime and do our best to fill those needs with the employees who are interested in working additional hours each week. We are sorry that your experience wasn’t what you had hoped for and encourage you to contact us directly with any additional concerns. Thank you!

Non-Enthusiastic Environment

The beginning of the shift is stressful due to the previous shift not maintaining the workflow. Supply banks are low and finished banks are over-filled. You will learn many jobs due to the short supply of laborers. Management lacks the skills in efficient manufacturing. None of them were familiar with the Toyota Production Concept or Lean Manufacturing. They also lacked professional demeanor. The workplace culture is negative due to the high production demands and the hot, dirty, mechanically neglected environment. The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with pettiness and management's inability to problem solve.The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to offer assistance to others. The new-hire employee retention rate is extremely low as well as the on-time delivery rate (they go hand-in-hand). Morale is another contributing factor. There's a large number of expedited orders which is minimal in efficient, well-planned production systems. I'm going with the local community's perception of Worthington, Rome Division:"They demand very hard work for their money" I would not recommend this employer as the facility is one of the most undesirable places I've worked.Per the plant manager: "Worthington is not a place for everyone".

Pros

The occasional cook-out (pulled pork), Free Coffee, Free Personal Protection Equipment, Paycheck giving at the end of the work week

Cons

Poorly Managed Facility, Very High Production Rate, Non-safe, Dirty, Hot Environment, Pettiness, Outdated Equipment, Mechanical Breakdowns

July 21, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We hope you addressed any concerns you had with your manager, HR partner or using our Open-Door policy while you were working with us. We want to hear about these concerns so that we may address them and continuously improve our culture and processes. We wish you all the best.

People in office don’t understand what the workers go through

I want to work at a place that the hirer up understand what it feels like to actually work in the conditions of hot, cold, stress,and say they are there for you and you never see them

June 22, 2022
Thank you for the review. We are disappointed to hear some of the management concerns you’ve shared. We do encourage employees to share concerns with their HR Representative, their manager or a leader of any level using the Open Door policy, or if they’d prefer to submit confidentially, our third-party Ethics Line, so that we may continue to get better in all we do.

Great place to work and management truly cares about you. Plenty chances to get promoted and pay is fair for your daily duties. Company follows the golden rule; treat others how you want to be treated.

June 3, 2022
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you experienced Our Philosophy in action and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Worthington industries is a great place to work and has some great leaders. I don’t like utilizing a straight out of college individuals leading but I’m also not the CEO

June 3, 2022
Thank you for your review. We are always looking for ways to improve our employees’ experiences, and we appreciate your feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worthington Industries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight