Worthington Industries

Clear
3.1Job Security & Advancement

steelsharingprofitindustrygoldenphilosophyplantovertime

Stable job

Little room for advancement, but for a daily job with a 'decent' wage it is a good option. Communication is poor from management, most communication is through the rumor mill.

Torch Packaging is a hole

One of the better decisions of my life was leaving this hole after just a couple months. Narcissistic management, lazy unqualified trainers, felt like a high school environment for adults, and you have to learn too much for how little they pay. The tape machines are outdated garbage and stuff is breaking down all the time. Avoid at all costs because there’s plenty of better jobs in the area that pay a lot more and are way easier and more professional.

August 19, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Equipment upgrades and capital improvements are fluid, with the most recent completion of our pack end project to help with machine efficiency. In addition, we are currently searching for qualified Training Leads to assist with our training efforts. The increase in our starting pay earlier this year, and the implementation of a quarterly incentive plan has helped keep us competitive in the market. We will continue to look for opportunities to develop our leaders, increase employee engagement, and make Worthington a preferred employer.

Worthington Industries insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Management not good

Started out good the supervisor will find a way to fire you if they don’t like you. The best part of the job was the orientation. They expect way to much. For the pay.

April 21, 2021
Thank you for your review. We do hope you took the opportunity to address your interest in longer assignments with your manager while you were here. We always encourage open discussions for sharing ideas and concerns.

Fast turn over

People are encouraged to report all sorts of thing but doing so can result in dismal if under probationary period. Employees under probationary period need to be very careful of what is said to whom or risk their postion.

February 18, 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. Our probationary period is put in place to ensure that our employees are able to operate safely on their own and within Our Philosophy before joining regular full time status. We have a number of communication channels in place for employees to share feedback – we encourage you to use our Open Door policy, by talking to your supervisor, an Operations Manager, HR or any member of the management team. Not every situation can be resolved to the employee's complete satisfaction, but the Company will make every effort to address the issue in an appropriate manner. The Open Door Policy is designed to provide employees with the opportunity to communicate with all levels of the Company to resolve issues and help make everyone's job better. If you’d prefer to remain anonymous, we also offer a Code of Conduct & Ethics Line third-party online and telephone reporting tool, where concerns can be communicated confidentially.

Worthington

Working at Worthington wasn't that bad,we had a fair break time and we got paid a decent amount of money, but there was little room for advancement and the culture wasn't so good.

Pros

Good pay, good breaks

Cons

no advancement opportunities and bad culture

hard place to work for

employee training not good expect a lot out of employees right away without helping them to learn no patience with employees wanting to learn don't like to teach employees skills

Hours and days expected to work where much higher then told

Work was not bad but company often did not live up to promises. The maintenance department was forced to work 12 days on 2 days off I did this for over 2 years. When hired was told that this would only be for 3 or 4 months but was permanent. Became grueling on mind and body.

Decent place to work lacking work life balance

Good company. States they promote work life balance, but this isn't necessarily so. Long hours, and they are slow to fill open positions within the company. Often we lack the staffing necessary to complete day to day tasks.

Had a great time working for this company and learned all the concepts of what factory life is like. It was timely and organized and I would recommend this job to other friends.

It was a good company to work for.

I enjoyed watching the company expand and grow. I to pride in know my job was to make sure that our customers were safe when they used our torches.

Typical Day

I enjoyed learning a new field of work, especially on products that are high demand and the factory runs 24/7. Supervisors, co-workers, were pleasant to work with. Hours (my shift) typically were 4:55am till 3:00pm and every other Saturday. Sunday work was available as well and voluntary. The first day or two of course, were usually the more challenging ones, being new and trying to learn the job, but again, Worthington was a great company to work for.

friendly atmosphere, helpful co-workers

A very good place to learn about manufacturing industry. I learned a lot about safe work practices and efficiency when it comes to productivity.