Worthington Industries

Chilton, WI39 reviews

Clear

steelsharingprofitindustrygoldenphilosophyplantovertime

Stable job

Little room for advancement, but for a daily job with a 'decent' wage it is a good option. Communication is poor from management, most communication is through the rumor mill.

Torch Packaging is a hole

One of the better decisions of my life was leaving this hole after just a couple months. Narcissistic management, lazy unqualified trainers, felt like a high school environment for adults, and you have to learn too much for how little they pay. The tape machines are outdated garbage and stuff is breaking down all the time. Avoid at all costs because there’s plenty of better jobs in the area that pay a lot more and are way easier and more professional.

August 19, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Equipment upgrades and capital improvements are fluid, with the most recent completion of our pack end project to help with machine efficiency. In addition, we are currently searching for qualified Training Leads to assist with our training efforts. The increase in our starting pay earlier this year, and the implementation of a quarterly incentive plan has helped keep us competitive in the market. We will continue to look for opportunities to develop our leaders, increase employee engagement, and make Worthington a preferred employer.

Worthington Industries insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Poor management team

It's a good o'l boy club in the front office. If your not in the club you'll eventually be forced out. Expect to be on 10hr shifts until the unforeseen future.

October 5, 2020
We’re sorry to hear about your concerns and do hope you shared or addressed them while you were working here. Our Open Door policy is intended to provide an outlet for addressing concerns, which includes any level of management, all the way up to the President & CEO should it need escalated. These can be shared in person or through written statements. The Company also offers a confidential third-party reporting line and website should any employee wish to remain anonymous. Regarding work shifts, with an increase in orders for the products created in Chilton, due to COVID-19, there has been a need for production employees to work overtime hours. We appreciate everyone’s hard work through that time! We are working hard to hire in these areas so that our current employees can get back to more normal hours. However, any employee who has a concern around scheduling issues or any issue for that matter should discuss it with their supervisor, HR Partner or use our Open Door Policy.

Management has double standards, play favoritism, create a toxic work environment.

I wanted Worthington to be the last place I worked at until retirement however, with just a year and a half in I know with certainty that this just won’t be the case. There is so much mismanagement, hypocrisy, double standards and lack of structure in the front office. There is little to no accountability in management and they place blame on others. Management has an open door policy but none of them are actually trustworthy to seek resolution to issues. The company philosophy and golden rule are good things however, management does not follow nor practice these things rather, expect everyone else to and hold them accountable to it—“do as we say not as we do.” Most people don’t quit their jobs, they quit the management. Employee retention is dismal at best and management won’t accept the blame.

March 31, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are sorry to hear about your concerns. As a Company, we strive for continuous improvement in all we do, and always encourage employees to share honest feedback so we can ensure a positive work environment and experience. We do operate under the Golden Rule, and in doing so, will be sure to look into this review further.

Company is amazing to work for, however, location management changed and created less than desirable working environment.

Worthington is an amazing global company and Chilton was an amazing company to work at. However, complete management changeover created a less than desirable working environment. Lots of favoritism and lack of leadership. Became a number rather than an appreciated employee. They allow bully's in management and it's no longer a place we can feel happy going to. Very toxic.

February 18, 2020
. Thank you for leaving a review. We’re sorry to hear about your recent concerns. Employee feedback is very important to us and we encourage employees to use our Open Door policy or discuss concerns with their HR Partners. We also offer a Code of Conduct & Ethics Line third-party online and telephone reporting tool, where concerns can be communicated confidentially. We operate by the Golden Rule and strive to ensure all employees are treated as such. We value your feedback and will continue to use it to make improvements.

Fast turn over

People are encouraged to report all sorts of thing but doing so can result in dismal if under probationary period. Employees under probationary period need to be very careful of what is said to whom or risk their postion.

February 18, 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. Our probationary period is put in place to ensure that our employees are able to operate safely on their own and within Our Philosophy before joining regular full time status. We have a number of communication channels in place for employees to share feedback – we encourage you to use our Open Door policy, by talking to your supervisor, an Operations Manager, HR or any member of the management team. Not every situation can be resolved to the employee's complete satisfaction, but the Company will make every effort to address the issue in an appropriate manner. The Open Door Policy is designed to provide employees with the opportunity to communicate with all levels of the Company to resolve issues and help make everyone's job better. If you’d prefer to remain anonymous, we also offer a Code of Conduct & Ethics Line third-party online and telephone reporting tool, where concerns can be communicated confidentially.

Once in a lifetime experience

By far one of the best companies I’ve worked for. They genuinely care about their employees. There is a lot of overtime, but they reward for the overtime worked.

January 6, 2020
We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Worthington Industries in Chilton, WI. We know how hard the team is working there and it’s great to hear that you feel appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Golden Rule

The company believes in the golden rule treat others as you want to be treated and they live up to it as a company. Updating facility with a work out room and nicer break rooms. Great team to work with.

Pros

hourly worker appriciation

Cons

clicky

hard place to work for

employee training not good expect a lot out of employees right away without helping them to learn no patience with employees wanting to learn don't like to teach employees skills

Dont let your wives work here

Crazy hours make it hard to keep your family. On top of that alot of men in management are sleeping with married women on the floor and destroy there family lives. I've seen three marriages lost do to this.

Pros

Lots of overtime if you like it.

Cons

Bad place to work if you have a family.

Overtime Galore

If you don't mind working 70 hour weeks and an HR team that messes up information and won't own up to it. I enjoyed the other employees but anyone higher up was not about a team or wanting to help.

Pros

Union

Cons

Only care about bottom line

Cameleon

Kiss butts and femailes; you will be moving up. Management is not real all two faced and secretive. Bringing managment from Corporate to solve problems does not work. No local people in management. Does not favor employees. Those in management are provided with financial incentives such as profit sharing. Persecution and shaming are fundamental dynamics of managment. The power is in corporate, the workers are union, company does not favor union and will not consider profit sharing or bonus structure for union employees.

Pros

Left over food from corporate events get passed down to workers.

Cons

Worthington way is not always the favorable way!

Too many hours

They work employees to death and really only care about numbers. They work the employees 13 days straight a lot and only give them a day or 2 off. Not enough time for family.

Worthington sweat factory

Worked to the bone with a terrible attendance policy, I am not happy with the policies and guidelines of the company, and look forward to bringing my skills to a better environment

I enjoy my job at Worthington, I enjoy the work and the people I am surrounded by. It's all around a great place to work.

It is a rewarding job and hard work does not go unnoticed. They treat people great. They give proper training needed to do the job, they practice strong safety laws, and line leads are easy to talk to and very understanding and caring.

Pros

Long breaks, understanding line leads, caring management, trustworthy management. Positive vibes.

Cons

Attendance policy

Not a good place to work

They just don't no how to treat people and don't care anything about the people working there just numbers. They would walk out hard working people that they hired becausethey were not able to keep up.

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

mangement

it was like shuffling crew never knew from day to day where you would be

The typical day would start out with a meeting, to work safe, and to do your best. I learned to have more patients with others, working with people that accept you instead of juging you, the management was very friendly, if you had a problem you could talk with them.My coworkers were friendly. sometimes we enjoyed the oldies station together. We always got done in a greatly manner. The hardest part was figuring out if you had enough parts and enough materials to run for the night. The most enjoyable part of the job was you could always laugh when you and your coworkers are joking around, they would include you.

Pros

having potluck that was intersting, different cultures

Cons

lunch should be at least 20min instead of 15

bad management

bad management, machines always down, too much overtime, employees create conflict. I over all didn't enjoy working there. the amount of hours is ridiculous.

Pros

good pay